Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping platform in Mirage (car camping)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Sleeping platform in Mirage (car camping)

Hello All,

Had the opportunity to do a little work on the sleeping platform today. 30 degrees F here today, but I was out of the wind in my nephew's garage.
    Today was mostly about leveling the two 24"x36" shelving sections. I used my nephew's garage because I needed a level floor/car to do this right.
    I will still have to fill in the inside of the L shape with addition shelving platform so that I may sleep on the diagonal(feet at glove box and head at left hip area of rear seat) which will give me approximately 75" of straight sleeping area. Available width will be approximately 36".
    There will be storage available under the shelving of about 7" in height(in the area where the rear seat cushion usually sits) and about 14.5" under the shelving where the rear floor boards are.
    Going to try and post pics below.

The first two pics show what has allowed me to do this platform. With the rear seat cushion removed(seat backs stay in place), it allows room to fully recline the front passenger seat with the headrest removed. This allows the shelving to be installed over the front passenger seat and the rear seat cushion area. The long part of the L is 60" (24" + 36"). The short section of the L is 36". Once this L shape area is filled with addition shelving, I will obtain about 75" x 36" of sleeping space.
    The following photos in the next post will show L shape in place and the clearances around the driver's seat and gear shifter. The shelving just clears the door panels on the passenger side.
    Eggman, could I impose upon you to help me orient these pics correctly? Thank you very much sir!

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-16-2019 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Corrected picture orientation.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bristol For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-08-2020),spork (08-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Sleeping platform in Mirage(more pics)

More pictures of sleeping platform:

Last edited by Eggman; 12-16-2019 at 03:10 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bristol For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

These pics show clearance at gear shifter. I will
    eventually cut out a portion of the shelf to allow 5th gear and reverse to be accessed. I want to be able, to leave in a hurry if I have to, without disassembling anything. The shelf will need re-enforcing at the cutout to maintain structural integrity.
    Also, my fingers point to the diagonal maximum distance, approximately 75".
    More pics:

Last edited by Eggman; 12-16-2019 at 03:12 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bristol For This Useful Post:

dickulus (11-09-2022),fifteenwindow (01-09-2020),MetroMPG (01-08-2020),mitsumi (08-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Looks like a creative/fun project to me!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Pics show rear platform in place. Front platform section is upside down and stored on top of rear platform section for travel. Legs can be removed. I have not removed legs, but will after I mark them for correct placement for when legs are reinstalled.

Last edited by Eggman; 12-16-2019 at 03:12 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bristol For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What happens if you suddenly have a significant other that wants to go camping with you? Where are you going to sleep then?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One project at a time Mark, lol!

That next project, will be the ultra ultra lightweight camping trailer that I previously spoke of. It will be a folding hardside trailer that will also haul my kayaks.
    I am currently tossing around the idea of a used snowmobile trailer that has a top that tilts up to load the snowmobiles. Once tilted up, the fold up panels(three sides) can be swung up and locked into place. The rear panel will have a door in it.
    Most of the double snowmobile trailers are, I think, about 72" wide. I would rather have it no wider, and possibly an inch narrower, than the width of the Mirage, which is 66 inches I believe. Might be better using a single snowmobile trailer.
    Last edited by Bristol; 12-16-2019 at 01:55 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The comfort level of that looks to be very low. That thing looks flimsy too. You would be better off using plywood and 2x4's to construct this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    One project at a time Mark, lol!
    I want to see someone construct bunk beds for a Mirage next!

I suppose you'll want to finish this design first. Good luck & keep us posted!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hello Pryme,

I agree....but...
    The platform is the bare minimum in specs. Just, and I mean, just, strong enough.
    Each shelf is spec to support 200 lbs. I weigh 225.
    In keeping with the efficiency theme of the Mirage, I wanted the lightest, most efficient platform possible. The platform goes up and down quickly. With no weight penalty(this can't possibly weigh 10lbs) it can remain in car all spring, summer, and early fall during fishing/camping season. This way, I can hit the road in a hurry to fish and if necessary catch a few hours shut-eye or a full night comfortable sleep before I drive back to civilization/job.
    When carrying passengers is necessary(an extreme rarity) it can be disassembled and put back in the house quickly and rear seat cushion re-installed just as fast. When shelves are stored in rear seat area, the front passenger seat is available.
    Next phase of project is to find a comfortable mattress or RV-type cushions, to go on top of platform for sleeping.
    The rug in the pictures is just for demo purposes.

Your videos( 3 part honest review) on the Mirage, solidified my belief in this modern day Colt. Watched them over and over. Your videos and additional input from Mark along with this forum convinced me to acquire my 2019.

Last edited by Bristol; 12-16-2019 at 07:42 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bristol For This Useful Post:

dickulus (11-09-2022),MetroMPG (05-25-2020),Pryme (12-16-2019)