Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping platform in Mirage (car camping)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol!
    Mark, that's seriously hilarious!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Great job on this so far!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would to complete this by spring.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post

I am currently tossing around the idea of a used snowmobile trailer that has a top that tilts up to load the snowmobiles.I think, about 72" wide. I would rather have it no wider, and possibly an inch narrower, than the width of the Mirage, which is 66 inches I believe. Might be better using a single snowmobile trailer.
    I'm afraid I'm going to rain on your parade. There are very few, if any, covered sled trailers from the era where the machines were 34" wide. IFS sleds have been 43-45" wide for decades now. That puts a double trailer into the 8' wide (<=96") class. Trust me, a V6 Caravan struggles to pull such a windloaded trailer. The Mirage stands no chance. A covered tilting single trailer might work, being about 48" square, for a frontal area of 16 ft. sq.

You can likely build something that would be much better if you have basic fabrication skills.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    Eggman, could I impose upon you to help me orient these pics correctly? Thank you very much sir!
    I think I got them all! Check them over and let me know if I missed any.

That took longer than I thought. I've found it helps to find the one magic way to hold my phone for taking pictures that show up in the correct orientation here on the forum and try to stick to that. It saves lots of time.

Whining aside () I think the platform is a great idea. While I don't think I'll ever use one myself, I'm sure others will be as inspired by your work. Thanks for posting it.

There's lots of tiny little camping trailers out there. Keep an eye on Craigslist for motorcycle camping trailers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-08-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    What in the hell? Dude Ive slept in my hatch just fine with the front seats pushed all the way forward and the back seats folded down. All you need is a thick sleeping bag and some pillows. I mean not discounting your creativity, its impressive but wow....just wow.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is a great project and I really admire your creativity. I would love to see a picture of everything folded up and see how much space it occupies in the trunk for storage. And you once again prove that hatchback is king compared to a sedan with trunk.

A "frugal" person could take it one step further and park in the parking lot of a major Hotel chain. Use their free WiFi and even eat a free breakfast. Now...before you start down-voting me or calling it dishonest you may want to consider that 30% or more of the free breakfast gets thrown in the garbage. So you arent really costing the hotel any money.

But you have to be a Good Actor to walk in there and pretend to be a "REAL guest" to obtain the WiFi password and eat the free breakfast. Even utilize their free swimming pool and gym......Okay....maybe that is pushing it too far =) Heh-Heh
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    This is a great project and I really admire your creativity. I would love to see a picture of everything folded up and see how much space it occupies in the trunk for storage. And you once again prove that hatchback is king compared to a sedan with trunk.

A "frugal" person could take it one step further and park in the parking lot of a major Hotel chain. Use their free WiFi and even eat a free breakfast. Now...before you start down-voting me or calling it dishonest you may want to consider that 30% or more of the free breakfast gets thrown in the garbage. So you arent really costing the hotel any money.

But you have to be a Good Actor to walk in there and pretend to be a "REAL guest" to obtain the WiFi password and eat the free breakfast. Even utilize their free swimming pool and gym......Okay....maybe that is pushing it too far =) Heh-Heh
    Ha! You're not the first to come up with that.

But after all that, it's tempting to just get a room and sleep comfortably.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (12-18-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Ha! You're not the first to come up with that.

But after all that, it's tempting to just get a room and sleep comfortably.
    In Canada pulling that stunt would likely get you a stern talking to, or worst case maybe a trespass charge.

Am I right in saying the same stunt in some US counties will land you with a long list of felony charges? Theft, fraud, impersonation, trespass, etc etc.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Northern Tool has some cheap lightweight trailers & one is on sale for $199.99 now.
    https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...owing+trailers

You may or not be interested, but thought I would share these.