Thread: My Mirage :: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    My Mirage
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Mercury Gray
    manual

Details

WeatherTech front floor mats
    Dash Design custom front seat covers

•  

Daox rear sway bar added.

•  

8 steel rims with 165/65r-14 tires
    1 pair of Dunlop Enasave
    1 pair of Federal SS657
    1 pair of Nokian Nordman 7 (unstudded)
    1 pair of Nexen N'Priz AH%

Comments: 8 / Views: 5239
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    I wondered if you would ever make a Garage entry.

Looking good. I like that gray.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey luckyforrest I have a request for you. Let us know how this goes and if your filter has an anti-drainback valve. I wonder how much oil that filter will hold with the valve.
    I don't think Luckyforrest changing his oil filter is any different than anyone else who has ever changed an oil filter on a Mirage.

I typically drain the oil pan before removing an oil filter, but if I changed the sequence of that I don't think it changes much? The filter is going to have a bit of oil in it either way.

Some filters may hold more oil in them than others, but I don't think that is dependent on the sequence of how you do things.

If Luckyforrest decides to change his oil filter without changing his oil, I don't think he is doing anything special or unusual. He'll just want to start up his car when done & check his oil level afterwards. He may need to add a bit, because he will lose a small amount in the oil filter, & the Mirage only holds 3 quarts. Whether you drain the oil pan first or not doesn't really change this in my opinion.

On a vehicle like my Forester, the oil filter is on top of the engine and it holds 5.5 quarts. For a vehicle like that, doing this may be less noticeable. It's still not a big deal for either one.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-14-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't think Luckyforrest changing his oil filter is any different than anyone else who has ever changed an oil filter on a Mirage.

I typically drain the oil pan before removing an oil filter, but if I changed the sequence of that I don't think it changes much? The filter is going to have a bit of oil in it either way.

Some filters may hold more oil in them than others, but I don't think that is dependent on the sequence of how you do things.

If Luckyforrest decides to change his oil filter without changing his oil, I don't think he is doing anything special or unusual. He'll just want to start up his car when done & check his oil level afterwards. He may need to add a bit, because he will lose a small amount in the oil filter, & the Mirage only holds 3 quarts. Whether you drain the oil pan first or not doesn't really change this in my opinion.

On a vehicle like my Forester, the oil filter is on top of the engine and it holds 5.5 quarts. For a vehicle like that, doing this may be less noticeable. It's still not a big deal for either one.
    I see what you mean and figured as much but I still hope to hear the scoop from luckyforrest. Thanks.

By the way that's an impressively large oil filter you have there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I see what you mean and figured as much but I still hope to hear the scoop from luckyforrest. Thanks.

By the way that's an impressively large oil filter you have there.
    Correction: small filter on a Forester, but somewhat large oil capacity. Somewhat annoying, too. 5 quart jug doesn't get the job done!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Correction: small filter on a Forester,
    Fun Fact, Mark. The 2.5 L Subaru & the Mirage both use the same filters. I bought a case of AC Delco PF2057's from Rock Auto (works out to ~$4.00cdn) & use them on both my Mirage & The Queen's Subaru...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Fun Fact, Mark. The 2.5 L Subaru & the Mirage both use the same filters. I bought a case of AC Delco PF2057's from Rock Auto (works out to ~$4.00cdn) & use them on both my Mirage & The Queen's Subaru...
    I have been using Purolator ONE oil filters for my 2017 Mirage, & they are not the same filter as my 2011 Subaru Forester. The Mirage takes a PL14610, & the Forester takes a PL14615.

If I decided to use a different oil filter, it would be the Fram Ultra. Once again, they are not the same filter. Mirage is XG7317, & the Forester is XG9688.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-15-2019 at 01:48 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have been using Purolator ONE oil filters for my 2017 Mirage, & they are not the same filter as my 2011 Subaru Forester. The Mirage takes a PL14610, & the Forester takes a PL14615.

If I decided to use a different oil filter, it would be the Fram Ultra. Once again, they are not the same filter. Mirage is XG7317, & the Forester is XG9688.
    But wouldn't it be nice to simplify and consolidate the parts required to maintain one's cars.

Since this topic veered towards Mark's filters, I figured the posts were better off in his Garage entry.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    More fun facts. My 750 V45 sabre used a filter that was common with quite a few automotive applications. It might have been my Silverwing but external canister style filters are really not that different from each other in their respective size class.

yes filtering material, drainback valves, flow rates vary considerably but I've noticed the same wide variance within the flilter line for the Mirage!!

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)