Thread: VW beetle Moog springs and 185/65/15 tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks

VW beetle Moog springs and 185/65/15 tires

Last week I got a killer deal on some Goodyear All Season tires they were brand new with stickers and all at just 100 bucks for all 4 I couldnt pass em up. Anyway I had them put on and they rubbed in the rear quite a bit and just a touch up front but only on sharp turns and on bumps. So today I received my moog rear springs that cost me a measly $30 and took me less than 30 minutes to install. First impressions when I get I the car in doesn't settle as much as it used to which is good, I also noticed it is very bouncy and that I am not a fan of I hope they break in or i will end up pulling them out and going another route to accommodate these tires or just go back to tire size I had. I'm happy these tires fit because I always felt this car needed a 6th gear or overdrive for running on these California highways and now 80 mph doesnt feel like its pushing the engine as hard as when I had the stock setup. Now I've noticed my speedometer is off by 5 mph which is no problem for me I just have to keep it in mind. All in all I'm not completely satisfied with the setup but it works. If the springs would "break in" and ease up I'd be 100% satisfied.Name:  20191217_165136.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  97.2 KB

2017 mitsubishi mirage manual , redline mtl in the gearbox every 40k, mobil1 ep 0w20 along with fram ultra xg7317 every 15k

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Whenever someone mentions a new tire size, I punch it into a tire size calculator.

Compared to factory size 175/55r15 (22.6") tire, a 185/65r15 (24.5") tire has an outside diameter variance of +8.4%, & it would be 5 mph off @ 60 mph (like you already mentioned).

Some members are happy with 185/55r15 (23") tires that have a +1.8% variance. These tires would only be off about 1 mph @ 60 mph, & there would be less odometer error, too.

We look forward to the updates on your new tires & the needed adjustments to make them work better. I do think a person should be cautious when experimenting with larger tires, & it sounds like you are doing that. I hope they work out for you, & I also understand what you want them to do for you.

Sidenote: For anyone new to this topic, I sense 165/65r14 (22.4") factory tires bumped up to 175/65r14 (23") tires or 175/55r15 (22.6") factory tires bumped up to 185/55r15 (23") tires has created the most satisfaction (performance & increased tire options available) amongst forum members. In both cases (14" or 15"), these options are less than a 3% variance on outside diameter (a guideline some tire places use). Then again, some members like myself just prefer factory size tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Whenever someone mentions a new tire size, I punch it into a tire size calculator.

Compared to factory size 175/55r15 (22.6") tire, a 185/65r15 (24.5") tire has an outside diameter variance of +8.4%, & it would be 5 mph off @ 60 mph (like you already mentioned).

Some members are happy with 185/55r15 (23") tires that have a +1.8% variance. These tires would only be off about 1 mph @ 60 mph, & there would be less odometer error, too.

We look forward to the updates on your new tires & the needed adjustments to make them work better. I do think a person should be cautious when experimenting with larger tires, & it sounds like you are doing that. I hope they work out for you, & I also understand what you want them to do for you.

Sidenote: For anyone new to this topic, I sense 165/65r14 (22.4") factory tires bumped up to 175/65r14 (23") tires or 175/55r15 (22.6") factory tires bumped up to 185/55r15 (23") tires has created the most satisfaction (performance & increased tire options available) amongst forum members. In both cases (14" or 15"), these options are less than a 3% variance on outside diameter (a guideline some tire places use). Then again, some members like myself just prefer factory size tires.
    Hey thanks Mark, I can vouch for the 185 55 r15 tires as being a great option for handling, price, and fitment I had accelera B tires which lasted me 86k miles with no issues at stock height. But I will definitely keep you guys updated as I plan to add a 1/2" strut spacer to stiffen up the front and kind of balance out the suspension stiffness and then I will realign and see if I need to add a camber bolt to square things up.
    2017 mitsubishi mirage manual , redline mtl in the gearbox every 40k, mobil1 ep 0w20 along with fram ultra xg7317 every 15k

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I stumbled on some brand name, highly rated, 17" tires for ~$50/ea. I found some 17" rims from Kijiji for $100. and was vacillating whether to buy. That computer died along with my cart. oh well, but there is a 17" option out there if someone is inclined.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)