Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shocks Upgrade

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Exactly, most should be replaced between 50k to 100k.
    I disagree. My 2014 with 90k miles are doing fine.

I do have front strut tower brace, VW springs, and rear swaybar installed on my car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post

I do have front strut tower brace, VW springs, and rear swaybar installed on my car.
    I have the exact set-up. My front's are fine but rear will need them soon, I'm at 50k. I cannot tell you how many cars in the 15 years I've worked at the shop have we changed struts or shocks on cars with less than 100k or 50k. To say they'll last longer is unrealistic, but possible. I'll trust my experience to your one off.
    (blank signature)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Basic (05-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post

"Doing Fine" has nothing to do with my statement of them underperforming in respect to the parameters they were designed to. It takes a "calibrated ass" as the race drivers and professional test drivers I have worked with to feel the degradation, and its why most people have no clue until the car is finally slamming off the bumpstops.

Yours may very well still be in a good performing state, but they will be a small percentage of the overall Mirage picture I would be very confident in saying. My 2014 and 2015 both were completely blown by 40-70k.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What objective test or measurements are you guys using to determine if the shocks are "bad". At 100k my shocks seem fine. Damping feels well controlled, they are not leaking, tire wear is fine, never hit the bump stops ( I do have stiffer spring) and all other subjective tests seem fine. If shocks are truly failing at 50k, as opposed to being insignificantly out of spec, that's pathetic.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    What objective test or measurements are you guys using to determine if the shocks are "bad". At 100k my shocks seem fine. Damping feels well controlled, they are not leaking, tire wear is fine, never hit the bump stops ( I do have stiffer spring) and all other subjective tests seem fine. If shocks are truly failing at 50k, as opposed to being insignificantly out of spec, that's pathetic.
    It obviously takes a "calibrated ass." I guess mine is calibrated enough to know that the suspension bits are "in good performing state" since the vehicle feels stable in corners, braking, acceleration, and under load. I guess our mirages are two-offs.

In all seriousness, my point is similar to ahausheer's - which is that ever vehicle is different. Some vehicles may never have load, some may always carry 4 passengers; some are driven by assholes, others by grandmas; some driven over smooth blacktop while others on unpaved country roads.

I'm not discounting what have been said by previous/personal experiences, I'm saying that everyone shouldn't look at numbers/age/mileage.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    After 100K miles of use, the OEM shocks/struts on a Mirage are well into their lifespan (if not completely gone). Shocks/struts degrade slowly over time, so most owners don't realize how poor their performance has become. If you put new shocks/struts on a Mirage with 100K miles, you would feel the difference immediately.

Just because the suspension isn't hammering off the bump-stops doesn't mean the shocks/struts are OK. Even a "bounce test" doesn't tell the whole story.

THIS video demonstrates the subtle differences between new/worn shocks and struts.

HERE is a technician explaining the same topic.

My 2015 is approaching 90K miles and needs tires. I'm installing some new (take-off) shocks/struts/springs from a low-mileage 2017 when the tires go on. I know they will make a huge difference in how my car feels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)