Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shocks Upgrade

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey Cani Lupine, good to see you back.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I've been looking for decent affordable rear shocks for ages!
    The rear of this car always had a tendency to bob up and down. Its bad enough in front, but rear passengers hate that!
    There are rear shocks typ 348083 from KYB-Asia (KYB in India, PH, AUS, NZ) available, but too expensive for me to import. Dimensions of these are extended 595mm, compressed 373mm.

The rear shocks of the Citroen C1 / Peugoet 107 / Toyota Aygo are supposed to fit dimension-wise.
    EDIT: They don't fit! The eye is smaller, otherwise seem OK.

Concerning rear springs, the rear springs have become ever so slightly stiffer in later models, but I don't notice any difference between the early stock 4162A219 and latest stock 4162A396. The wire they are made from is 0.25mm thicker but otherwise look and feel 100% the same.
    The KYB-Asia rear springs would be their RA 5070.
    Maker CS-Germany sells the equivalent of the 4126A396 as their part No. 18547344 for about €20. I notice no difference between them and stock either.

I think the best rear spring option remains EIBACH F11-60-017-01-HA. They greatly reduce body roll without lowering ride too much.
    The matching EIBACH for the front being F11-60-017-01-VA, these making the car noticably lower.
    Last edited by foama; 03-13-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Last year I mentioned this problem to a co-worker and he looked up something on his phone (the way the tops and bottoms of the damper attach to the car?) and told me I should try Monroe part 5544. I have Eibach lowering springs and Doax anti-sway bar, so in my opinion, my problem is pretty well taken care of without experimenting with unknown shocks, but I very much encourage others to try this, or investigate and report back that this will or won't fit. It may involve replacing or removing the lower mount bushing...?

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm less worried about the shocks than I am the front struts which would likely be trickier. But I think when it comes time, I'll likely go with the KYBs from Asia or the God Speeds.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    Last year I mentioned this problem to a co-worker and he looked up something on his phone (the way the tops and bottoms of the damper attach to the car?) and told me I should try Monroe part 5544. I have Eibach lowering springs and Doax anti-sway bar, so in my opinion, my problem is pretty well taken care of without experimenting with unknown shocks, but I very much encourage others to try this, or investigate and report back that this will or won't fit. It may involve replacing or removing the lower mount bushing...?
    The American Monroe 5544 are practically look-alike to the OEM and I would certainly try one if I were in the States, but in Europe their numbering scheme is different. The European Monroe 5544 is totally different.
    Last edited by foama; 03-13-2020 at 07:34 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Dark Magenta (03-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oops, I forgot to mention that when my workmate was looking up the 5544s, he was also looking for a slightly shorter damper because of my Eibach springs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Your at 67k on your 2014? I'm at 70k on my 2014 and mine feel fine. Have you done a bounce test? Unless you live in Afghanistan there's no reason yours should be blown. They're probably good for 200k miles. Or is this just a performance thing?
    I recently moved and had to carry some heavy loads a couple hours at a time for multiple trips. The shocks didn't like that at all, and are definitely worn. Not totally blown yet, but definitely worn. I'm finding some cheap KYB 348083 shocks on Shopee.ph, but I have no idea how to get stuff from the Philippines to the US. I can find plenty of buying services the other way around, though!

Also, SC, there are KYB options for the front readily available in the US.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    I recently moved and had to carry some heavy loads a couple hours at a time for multiple trips. The shocks didn't like that at all, and are definitely worn. Not totally blown yet, but definitely worn. I'm finding some cheap KYB 348083 shocks on Shopee.ph, but I have no idea how to get stuff from the Philippines to the US. I can find plenty of buying services the other way around, though!

Also, SC, there are KYB options for the front readily available in the US.
    The fronts are going to be softer for the 2014-2015 models, unfortunately. The later models had revised damping.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Your at 67k on your 2014? I'm at 70k on my 2014 and mine feel fine. Have you done a bounce test? Unless you live in Afghanistan there's no reason yours should be blown. They're probably good for 200k miles. Or is this just a performance thing?
    You may be the only person on the planet who thinks their shocks are going to last longer than their cvt 😜

That said, most every dampener on the planet is out of its proper operating process by 50k and should be replaced.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    You may be the only person on the planet who thinks their shocks are going to last longer than their cvt 😜

That said, most every dampener on the planet is out of its proper operating process by 50k and should be replaced.
    Exactly, most should be replaced between 50k to 100k.

(blank signature)