Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Engine Light came on yesterday. P0340

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts

Check Engine Light came on yesterday. P0340

Went to go to work yesterday, and my Mirage had a little trouble starting. It cranked longer than usual, and when it finally started it ran rough and sputtered for a few seconds. Once it cleared up, the CEL came on.

I did not have time to diagnose it before work, so I just had to go with it. After about 10-15 ignition cycles, the light went off. It has not been back on since.

When I got home from work I hooked up my OBDII scanner, and came up with a stored code P0340: Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction.

The last time I had started the car before driving it was when I moved it back into the driveway after parking it on the road to get another vehicle out. It was running for all of 15-20 seconds, and we all know that Mirages don't really like being turned on and immediately turned back off again.

I guess I will have to wait and see if it comes on again...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Went to go to work yesterday, and my Mirage had a little trouble starting. It cranked longer than usual, and when it finally started it ran rough and sputtered for a few seconds. Once it cleared up, the CEL came on.
    That stinks.

When I got home from work I hooked up my OBDII scanner, and came up with a stored code P0340: Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction.
    Loose timing chain?

Start & stop operation can be brutal on a car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I had to replace that exact same sensor on my Outback! I think the total cost was like $700, but I went to a shop. Could you find an aftermarket sensor for your ride?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Hopefully, it's nothing & just related to the event you already shared. I've had a few times where I conked out my Forester & have had the engine light come. Next time I start it up after that event, the light is gone for good. For all I know I may have some stored codes on my Forester. If the light is back off for good, who cares?

Thus, I think these things happen with other vehicles, too. I'm sure you'll give us an update, but I hope it's nothing for your sake!
    Last edited by Mark; 12-20-2019 at 03:49 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    How often is your Mirage just parked? Like for days? I think most cars' batteries benefit from being driven around at least somewhat. Anyway cheers good luck

My own '14 Mirage has had the "service engine soon" dash light on, for like months now. Evap leak that my friend said is normally associated with older cars. His old Cavalier with 485k on it had the issue. Mechanics can't seem to pinpoint the issue.

I just drive around with the engine light on. Whatever, wouldn't be the first car. My motor purrs great and my Mirage drives straight.

I don't smell any gas fumes lol!!!
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-20-2019 at 08:14 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My Mirage is driven about 500-600 miles a week...every week. It doesn't sit much, and has a fairly fresh battery.

The cam sensor isn't too hard to get to on these cars, as it is on the end of the cylinder head above the transmission. The FSM says a coolant crossover pipe has to be removed to get it out, but other than that it is just one 10mm bolt and an electrical connector. I was really hoping it wasn't under the valve cover or timing cover, and it isn't.

The part itself can be found for about $85. Car was perfect last night when I drove it, so I guess I just have to wait and see.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Right on Cobrajet. Ya wait and see like you say. Maybe just a fluke thing.. like if your Mirage seems to be driving perfect, then why bother with a new part. Yet anyways.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 14 did the same thing once after an abrupt start stop. Acted like a goober for a half a day and then went back to being it’s completely perfect little self. I bet yours will as well.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hey Cobrajet has this come back?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Cobrajet has this come back?
    Nope. That was at 134k. Now at 157k, and I haven't seen the CEL since.