Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hit a Deer

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    This is an almost new car the first new car I ever bought. I am gonna let the insurance and body shop do what they need to do to make it right. I am sure it will not be perfect but acceptable. The work involves replacing the door and tranferring all parts to new door skin. Replace the fender. Replace the rear bumper skin. There are scratches in the rear door and 1/4 fender so the entire left side of the car will need repainted. The insurance guy even asked about the Mivec decals on the lower rear door and wanted a replacement cost. Both left side window vents need removed and reinstalled.

For the hell of it, I called 2 local junkyards and at my shop discount I can get the following......

Left front fender (wine red) $125.00
    Complete LF door minus mirror (white) $250.00
    Rear bumper skin (sapphire blue) $190.00

So if I bought junkyard parts I am already over my deductible minus my labor time. Paint work is not cheap at all for any vehicle and I would assume just having the door and fender painted professionally would cost $500 or more even if I prepped the parts.

We are used to the deer issue and we totaled 3 cars and a truck because of deer collisions. It sucks our new Mirage is now damaged, but at least there is no structural or chassis issues from it.
    It's more work than the average person probably realizes, & the repainting usually goes beyond the damaged area to make it all blend in nicely. Hopefully, you'll be happy with the final results.

Sounds like you have been down this road before with deer damage. I've had a few myself. I prefer taking them with my bow or rifle, but deer have minds of their own sometimes!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The problem is your insurance will very likely go up. Switching insurance companies usually helps.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My insurance rates will not go up due to deer accident. Appointment for body shop is January 13th

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    This is an almost new car the first new car I ever bought. I am gonna let the insurance and body shop do what they need to do to make it right. I am sure it will not be perfect but acceptable. The work involves replacing the door and tranferring all parts to new door skin. Replace the fender. Replace the rear bumper skin. There are scratches in the rear door and 1/4 fender so the entire left side of the car will need repainted. The insurance guy even asked about the Mivec decals on the lower rear door and wanted a replacement cost. Both left side window vents need removed and reinstalled.

For the hell of it, I called 2 local junkyards and at my shop discount I can get the following......

Left front fender (wine red) $125.00
    Complete LF door minus mirror (white) $250.00
    Rear bumper skin (sapphire blue) $190.00

So if I bought junkyard parts I am already over my deductible minus my labor time. Paint work is not cheap at all for any vehicle and I would assume just having the door and fender painted professionally would cost $500 or more even if I prepped the parts.

We are used to the deer issue and we totaled 3 cars and a truck because of deer collisions. It sucks our new Mirage is now damaged, but at least there is no structural or chassis issues from it.
    Don't limit yourself to local yards. Most large wrecking yards will ship nationwide. If you get each part you need in the color you need, painting will not be necessary. It will just be a matter of hanging new sheet metal since there is no structural damage. This is what I did when my car was backed into and I needed a right rear door.

No local yards had one that wouldn't need to be painted, so I contacted a yard in another state. They had a door in the correct color, and shipped it to me.

Factory paint will always look better than a respray, and the paint on your car has not seen enough sun to have faded substantially.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    My insurance rates will not go up due to deer accident. Appointment for body shop is January 13th
    I agree that "Acts of God" like hitting a deer shouldn't impact your car insurance premiums.

Insurance companies realize it's a free world, & your money can go elsewhere, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Picking up the Mirage tomorrow. Hopefully the car looks good and the paintwork matches. I'll keep you guys posted.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-23-2020),inuvik (01-23-2020),timw4mail (01-23-2020),Top_Fuel (01-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Went to pick up the car. The rear bumper was repaired. New fender and door. Paint work looks great. Unfortunately, we refused to take the car with the interior being totally trashed because it was super clean when we dropped it off. They said the cleanup kid must have "forgot" to clean it and they will make it right and we pick it up tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-24-2020),Top_Fuel (01-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks good! Always liked that blue!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It looks like a muddy kid or dog was let loose in there...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

When I had a truck in a bodyshop after hitting a moose they took everything from the console and glove box and put some of it in a box for me to deal with but someone there swiped my box of rubbers for some reason. I should go after them for child support!

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)