Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit a Deer

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hit a Deer

Wifey was on her way to work and a deer smacked into the side of our Mitsubishi Mirage. Going to the body shop soon. Fender, door, and rear bumper damage.

Attached Images Attached Images     

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    Wifey was on her way to work and a deer smacked into the side of our Mitsubishi Mirage
    Sorry to hear Johnny glad everyone is ok.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry to see that. Always liked the blue mirages. Glad your wife is ok. Maybe consider changing thread title to "hit by deer"...I hit one head on with my old 1991 Plymouth Colt (mirage) back in '94. Big old buck.

I had my 6 month old son with me at the time. Happened quick around dusk. I broke both legs of side the deer that the car hit. He slid up the hood, up the windshield and over. Saw him struggling in the median. Drove my son home, called the cops and we tracked it down and the cop put it out of its misery. They have a call list of people who want the meat, and I helped load it in the guys truck. Never want to go thru that again; we got extremely lucky.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    That sucks Johnny, glad everyone is ok and appears to be mainly cosmetic damage so you shouldn’t have too much trouble (hoping) from your insurance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad everyone is ok! Looks mostly like cosmetic damage too so hopefully not entirely cost prohibitive to fix.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    How fast was she going? That damage doesnt look too bad considering. I guess the high tensile steel cage is better than we thought?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    How fast was she going? That damage doesnt look too bad considering. I guess the high tensile steel cage is better than we thought?

Depends on the size of the deer.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    She was actually taking off from a stop. She seen several deer crossing the road and came to a stop and waited for them. As she started off, another deer darted through and smashed into the side of the car. The insurance company can't even look at it until the day after Christmas.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was expecting to see a Hitachi battery type of damage to the front, glad that's not the case. Glad shes okay.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    She was actually taking off from a stop. She seen several deer crossing the road and came to a stop and waited for them. As she started off, another deer darted through and smashed into the side of the car. The insurance company can't even look at it until the day after Christmas.
    Hitting a deer is always a bummer! It's good to know your wife wasn't hurt. On a positive note, your Mirage looks very drivable in the meantime. I've seen several deer crashes that take out radiators on vehicles much larger than a Mirage, & they require a tow truck. Not trying to make light of your situation by any means. We all cringe at the thoughts of dents on our little Mirages!

I hope you have low deductible, & you are super happy with the final repairs!