Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit a Deer

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    She was actually taking off from a stop. She seen several deer crossing the road and came to a stop and waited for them. As she started off, another deer darted through and smashed into the side of the car. The insurance company can't even look at it until the day after Christmas.
    That's super annoying. I think deer can see something like 350 degrees right around. Where a person can see like 30% of the world at any given time. We got different eye balls. But wild deer panic, or freeze like an opossum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The guy at the body shop was really nice and said he would order the fender, door, and bumper. I told him the rear bumper was damaged last year when the wife backed into a trailer. He said "Well there is deer hair stuck all in it and it's torn. It's gonna be covered." Upon closer inspection, there is additional damage to the bumper, so I am good with that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-20-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Right on. Two birds one stone there right. My Mirage is not 100% perfect either cosmetically but I have that pearlescent paint and I feel for the extra $160 for the premium paint, looks good from a distance, up close scratched from Canadian winters and ice scrapers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Right on. Two birds one stone there right. My Mirage is not 100% perfect either cosmetically but I have that pearlescent paint and I feel for the extra $160 for the premium paint, looks good from a distance, up close scratched from Canadian winters and ice scrapers.
    Stoopid deer! Glad your lady is okay, Mullet.

My Mirage has surprisingly few bumps and bruises given it's 135k miles and duty as a delivery car.

A little over a year after I bought it, some dope backed into the passenger side rear door. I replaced the door.

There is a small scrape on the lower left corner of the front bumper that I adequately touched up. Didn't see a rock backing out of somebody's driveway.

I destroyed the driver's front mud guard driving off of a very tall curb last fall. In fact, I almost got stuck on this curb. Then I destroyed the passenger's front mud guard this past winter...also due to backing over a large rock. I very nearly tore that one completely off the car, and did a bit of damage to the black plastic rocker molding as well. Given my apparent penchant for murdering mudguards, I was pleased to find a new set of front mudguards on Ebay for $38 shortly after the second incident.

I put a tiny ding in my left front fender when I accidentally swung the door of my sister-in-law's BMW into it. I was able to massage out 90% of it from the back side.

The car was lightly tapped from behind this past spring, resulting in a tweaked license plate, some superficial damage to the metal bumper beam, and a very small scratch on the rear bumper cover.

Other than that, there are just a few nicks and small scratches here and there. Since this is an in-town car, it doesn't have any of the 'freeway rash' on the nose like some people get.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Estimate from the insurance company for a fender, door, bumper skin, and paint work is $3998.00

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Estimate from the insurance company for a fender, door, bumper skin, and paint work is $3998.00
    Yikes! Any issues with insurance for the repairs?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's absurd.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    If this repair was $2800...it's pretty easy to see how Johnny's estimate is almost 4 grand.

This 6" scratch and tiny dent on my rear passenger door was a $740 repair!

Good collision repair work isn't cheap. I always get a laugh when someone is selling a car with scratched or dented panels and calls it an "easy" repair. It might be easy...but it sure isn't going to be cheap!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (12-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Good example of why a person should carry collision & comprehensive insurance on top of liability insurance. Body repair & paint work has gotten expensive. If that is what it takes to restore your car to original condition, I would be thankful for your insurance. I'm sure car/deer collisions haven't helped our premium costs either.

It's easy to see why it doesn't take much to declare a car like the Mirage totaled in a collision, too. We live in a disposal work.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is an almost new car the first new car I ever bought. I am gonna let the insurance and body shop do what they need to do to make it right. I am sure it will not be perfect but acceptable. The work involves replacing the door and tranferring all parts to new door skin. Replace the fender. Replace the rear bumper skin. There are scratches in the rear door and 1/4 fender so the entire left side of the car will need repainted. The insurance guy even asked about the Mivec decals on the lower rear door and wanted a replacement cost. Both left side window vents need removed and reinstalled.

For the hell of it, I called 2 local junkyards and at my shop discount I can get the following......

Left front fender (wine red) $125.00
    Complete LF door minus mirror (white) $250.00
    Rear bumper skin (sapphire blue) $190.00

So if I bought junkyard parts I am already over my deductible minus my labor time. Paint work is not cheap at all for any vehicle and I would assume just having the door and fender painted professionally would cost $500 or more even if I prepped the parts.

We are used to the deer issue and we totaled 3 cars and a truck because of deer collisions. It sucks our new Mirage is now damaged, but at least there is no structural or chassis issues from it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-27-2019)