Thread: MGN GPS loses location

Country
    Great Britain
    Thanks

MGN GPS loses location

Hey guys

Just got a 2019 Mirage with the MGN touch screen AndroidAuto TomTom Navigation system.

I've noticed after several journeys that it occasionally loses its location and puts me onto a nearby road (eg if I'm on the motorway going straight ahead it'll think I'm on a side road or housing estate just beside the motorway). It'll eventually relocate and come back the where it should be but it's starting to annoy me.

Android Auto also uses the MGN GPS so both the TomTom maps and Google Maps Navigation suffer the same jumping issue.

I'm 0.1 of a version behind the latest software - maybe it's patched. I'll try it at the weekend.

Any idea where the GPS aerial is?

Thanks ��

Edit. It's this unit.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pilchardfish; 12-19-2019 at 08:22 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pilchardfish For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ours in USA is located on right side of dashboard on top. However, my unit looks like yours and uses the phone's GPS not the car's antenna. How long of connection are you using to connect?
    (blank signature)

Country
    Great Britain
    Thanks
    I can't see an antenna for GPS in the cabin. Nothing on the dashboard or attached to the window. I haven't removed the head unit (tbh I'd rather not get into that yet!) so now wondering where the GPS aerial actually goes. I've no idea on length as I haven't removed the unit.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I know this is not connected to your GPS problem with your Mirage pilchardfish, but I like your Mirage's screen with the CD player setup. My car has the dial climate control, and just the small old-fashioned orange and black digital. I have a CD player, but no touch screen at all.

In 2014 when I bought my Mirage, backup cameras weren't legally required in Ontario, Canada, and now they are.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pilchardfish View Post
    I can't see an antenna for GPS in the cabin. Nothing on the dashboard or attached to the window. I haven't removed the head unit (tbh I'd rather not get into that yet!) so now wondering where the GPS aerial actually goes. I've no idea on length as I haven't removed the unit.
    I meant how long of charging cable from usb port to your phone? If it's over 3', if you buy shorter I bet it will solve your problem.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pilchardfish View Post
    In the '14 & '15 models the GPS unit was underneath the black plastic radio / center vent cover on top of the dash. There is a small space there where it was placed. The '17's had the GPS on the right hand surface of the dash. '18 onward I"m not sure. The head units that are Apple CarPlay and Android Auto use the phone's GPS for location. The head units that have embedded navigation as a function built in will have their own GPS receiver.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)