Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clickbait: Mirage is among the most unreliable 2020 car models?

Clickbait: Mirage is among the most unreliable 2020 car models?

Got your blood pressure meds handy?

Moneywise spouts some nonsense about the Mirage, apparently based on Consumer Reports data that gives the car a 31/100 score for dependability:

Name:  cars-you-should-avoid-in-2020_full_width_16_1200x500_v20191216132802.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  61.1 KB

The Unreliable Cars You'll Most Regret Buying in 2020

You may be sorry if you buy one of these 2020 models that score poorly for dependability.

[...]

Reliability score: 31

The low starting price of the Mitsubishi Mirage is a trap. The three-cylinder engine pairs horribly with the car's clumsy handling, and Consumer Reports says outright that you’re better off spending your money on a used car.

You think that's harsh? CR describes the Mirage's road test results as "laughably low" and describes the car's interior as "drab, cheap and insubstantial."

The fuel efficiency of this tiny compact (available as a sedan or hatchback) is one of the few saving graces. But if you're looking for a car you'll want to drive more than a few times a year, the Mirage isn't it. It's too noisy and undependable.
    Did CR actually get enough responses to rate the Mirage's reliability? Seems unlikely.

Or did the Moneysense blogger misrepresent/misinterpret some other general score that CR gave the car? We know they hate it for many reasons. But for poor reliability??

Full article: https://moneywise.com/a/cars-you-should-avoid-in-2020

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    There's a new "2020 Auto Buyers Guide" CR issue on the newsstand right now. I was checking it out yesterday. Nothing has changed for the Mirage. Still rated low. Pretty much the same comments are reprinted from last year's issue (bad handling, no power, you'd be better off spending your money on a more capable used car). Owner satisfaction is still close to the bottom in its segment...which is still somewhat odd.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 12-24-2019 at 12:13 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Owner satisfaction is still close to the bottom in it's segment...which is still somewhat odd.
    That's from CR members, right? If so, I guess I can understand why they would dismiss the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    I have zero respect for CR.

It's ok to point out the shortcomings of a vehicle, but an affordable, reliable, & economical vehicle shouldn't be totally bashed by anyone. In some cases, the Mirage can be a blessing to someone who needs affordable/reliable transportation.

CR endorses vehicle like Subaru, but then stick their head in the sand when things like oil consumption issues arise.

This is nothing new. I bought a new 1999 Ford Explorer (very basic 4WD with a 5-speed manual) years ago. These vehicles were also endorsed by CR back then. It was the largest vehicle I have ever owned, and probably my least favorite. Two years later, the Explorer/Firestone recall emerged.

I would like to say that I question their ratings, but I no longer have any interest in them.

4.8 Overall KBB Consumer Rating 4.8 / 5 (84 Ratings for 2014 - 2020 models)

If the Mirage was a crappy car, it wouldn't get a 4.8 consumer rating like this. Most of the top 10 selling vehicles in the U.S. don't have that high of a consumer rating. Overall, the Mirage, Spark, & Fit are relatively well liked. To me the Mirage represents the best value (if you don't find yourself paying to much for one).
    Last edited by Mark; 12-23-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It sucks when something good comes along and the mainstream automotive news sites start a smear campaign.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sheeple will believe anything that comes up on the screen. I'll file this under fake news and smile as I pass by the gas station, reliably lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

daleWV (12-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Sheeple will believe anything that comes up on the screen. I'll file this under fake news and smile as I pass by the gas station, reliably lol
    I don't want to admit this, but I am irrationally irritated by this article. I agree wholeheartedly with your sediment but it drives me up the wall that people get paid to open their rusty trap and act like an authority concerning a subject they know absolutely nothing about. “This car is not reliable. It is not reliable because it doesn’t go as fast as the other cars”. On what planet do those two things even connect?

I am so glad I have found a place where people listen to reason and don’t follow the crowd. This drivel here makes me even more proud of my car.
    Last edited by precisionxt; 12-24-2019 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Spelling

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to precisionxt For This Useful Post:

Pryme (12-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I wonder what they mean by undependable? The most undependable car I ever owned was a 1985 Mustang GT. Fast, and undependable rust bucket (at two years old, I traded it in).

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey tomrad. My friend had an 84 Capri back in the day with a 5-speed, told me all about it and got rid of the car after 3 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Got your blood pressure meds handy?

Moneywise spouts some nonsense about the Mirage, apparently based on Consumer Reports data that gives the car a 31/100 score for dependability:

Did CR actually get enough responses to rate the Mirage's reliability? Seems unlikely.

Or did the Moneysense blogger misrepresent/misinterpret some other general score that CR gave the car? We know they hate it for many reasons. But for poor reliability??

Full article: https://moneywise.com/a/cars-you-should-avoid-in-2020
    I have owned my Mirage for almost 6 years. It's my only car. I have had 2 cars of my own previously, both of which would rate a 1 on Moneysense's reliability scale.

For the record, the Mirage does beat the Jeep Wrangler, the Alfa Romeo Guilia, and others, being middle-of-the-pack for purchase. Err don't purchase new cars list of 2020.

My own 2014 Mirage had a faulty starter that stranded me more than once and took 4+ years for Mitsubishi to fix.

There was a recall, yet newbie car buyer me wasn't notified. Finally they fixed it. So I love my Mirage and is better than my old cars, but isn't the most reliable.

2. the dealer network is scanty really. And shifty because 1 store holds all the sway.

3. Small size and engine isn't everyone's cup of tea. Maybe being placed amongst the oddball cars of 2020 isn't the worst publicity.

No. 1 issue isn't even the Mirage itself, it's more the whole Mitsubishi Corporation and nowadays their lacklustre customer service. So CR is like "that accounts for 50% of our ratings."
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-24-2019 at 07:50 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (12-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My car is 2 years old. The window track is busted, it rattles aggressively, everything clicks and pops, and it's slow as hell.

I get it. It's an ungodly terrible car, but it's cheap and economical. But it's kind of a terrible car.

So, its dependable, but I fully understand why everybody hates it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)