Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol-free fillup

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Ethanol-free fillup

Has anyone tried filling their tank with non-ethanol gasoline? I know it’s a couple dollars more a gallon, but I am tempted to experiment to see how much more efficient would be under similar driving conditions. Maybe 3-4 mpg? I know it won’t justify the cost, just curious is all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    Has anyone tried filling their tank with non-ethanol gasoline? I know it’s a couple dollars more a gallon, but I am tempted to experiment to see how much more efficient would be under similar driving conditions. Maybe 3-4 mpg? I know it won’t justify the cost, just curious is all.
    Is non-ethanol really a couple dollars more per gallon there?

It's about 75 cents more a gallon in my area.

I use premium 91 octane/non-ethanol gas in all my of small engines (especially chainsaws), but I have never tried it in my Mirage.

87 octane/10% ethanol is common, but 88 octane/15% ethanol for 5 cents less has become more common the past year or two. I have stuck with the 87 octane/10% ethanol, because the Mirage owner's manual states up 10% ethanol is OK.

I hope someone answers your question!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Is non-ethanol really a couple dollars more per gallon there?

It's about 75 cents more a gallon in my area.
    I can’t vouch for everywhere, but the gas stop I frequent (closest place that has ethanol free as an option) is usually $2 more than regular unleaded (87). I used to use an app called “Pure Gas” for iPhone that would show you the closest places that stocks ethanol free as an option. Usually those places would be 30 miles away but might be time for me to check again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can’t vouch for everywhere, but the gas stop I frequent (closest place that has ethanol free as an option) is usually $2 more than regular unleaded (87). I used to use an app called “Pure Gas” for iPhone that would show you the closest places that stocks ethanol free as an option. Usually those places would be 30 miles away but might be time for me to check again.
    Non-ethanol is fairly common in rural areas where I live. It may be a little harder to find in urban areas of Wisconsin, however.

If it was $2 more per gallon, I would probably be a little more selective in what I use it for. I would use non-ethanonl gas for 2-stroke boat motors, chainsaws, & weed whips no matter what price. I could probably get by using some ethanol in my larger stuff (riding lawnmower, ATV, UTV). I prefer the non-ethanol, because some items like that sit for months at a time. Log splitter & rototiller, for example, I only use them certain times of the year.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I actually use it for my lawnmower and chainsaw as it doesn’t gum up the carburetor when storing during the winter season. It definitely wouldn’t see regular use in the mirage but with the meager size of it’s tank, I can afford a tank to experiment with. The 92 octane rating for the pumps around me doesn’t help the price though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I actually use it for my lawnmower and chainsaw as it doesn’t gum up the carburetor when storing during the winter season. It definitely wouldn’t see regular use in the mirage but with the meager size of it’s tank, I can afford a tank to experiment with. The 92 octane rating for the pumps around me doesn’t help the price though.
    I was talking to someone that owns a small engine business. They had 6 chainsaws come in the other day. All of their problems were ethanol gas related.

Quick Navigation - Open/Close →
    Ethanol: Death Sentence for 2 Stroke Engines
    Ethanol Causes Lubrication Issues Between Oil & Engine
    Ethanol Corrodes & Dissolves Various Plastic & Rubber Components
    Ethanol Causes Hotter Operating Temperatures In 2-Strokes
    Ethanol-blended Gas Has A Lower Fuel Economy Than Regular Gasoline
    What Are Your Options For Working With Ethanol-based Gasoline?

https://www.fixyourdirtbike.com/tips...troke-engines/

Having shared all this, I doubt using premium gas would boost a Mirage's performance/mpg that drastically.

You may need to do the experiment for us? It's hard to keep all the other variables (wind, temperature, etc...) constant with an experiment like this, however.

I think some members have tried premium fuel, & I hope they speak up again.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I was talking to someone that owns a small engine business. They had 6 chainsaws come in the other day. All of their problems were ethanol gas related.

Quick Navigation - Open/Close →
    Ethanol: Death Sentence for 2 Stroke Engines
    Ethanol Causes Lubrication Issues Between Oil & Engine
    Ethanol Corrodes & Dissolves Various Plastic & Rubber Components
    Ethanol Causes Hotter Operating Temperatures In 2-Strokes
    Ethanol-blended Gas Has A Lower Fuel Economy Than Regular Gasoline
    What Are Your Options For Working With Ethanol-based Gasoline?

https://www.fixyourdirtbike.com/tips...troke-engines/

Having shared all this, I doubt using premium gas would boost a Mirage's performance/mpg that drastically.

You may need to do the experiment for us? It's hard to keep all the other variables (wind, temperature, etc...) constant with an experiment like this, however.

I think some members have tried premium fuel, & I hope they speak up again.
    The US octane rating differs from Asian/Europe grades.

US 86.5 = Asia/Euro 90
    US 91 = Asia/Euro 95

I've noticed in local FB forums that those who experienced fuel related problems are users of 91 RON (87 RON/US) tier gasoline.

I don't know if there's a correlation between high humidity in tropical countries like ours and ethanol content that can lead to phase separation.

In general, most 95 RON and up users tell better performance with the higher grade.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I use non-ethanol gasoline exclusively in my Mirage for the last couple of months ... the 91 octane gasoline is usually about 50 cents (US) more expensive per gallon compared to 87 octane gasohol. You're correct, I estimate I get about 3-4 mpg more with the gasoline, but I mainly use it to prevent engine damage from ethanol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Has anyone tried filling their tank with non-ethanol gasoline?
    Top_Fuel has. He has for many fills now. You can view his Fuel Log - it seems apparent when he started.

The forum Fuel Economy Log is a good resource for many reasons. If you (or anyone else) decides to experiment with Ethanol-free fuel, it would be great to document the results in the Log like Top_Fuel has.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Top_Fuel has. He has for many fills now. You can view his Fuel Log - it seems apparent when he started.

The forum Fuel Economy Log is a good resource for many reasons. If you (or anyone else) decides to experiment with Ethanol-free fuel, it would be great to document the results in the Log like Top_Fuel has.
    I see that now. Thank you.