Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any GT Radial Champiro Winter tire 165 14" owners?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Any GT Radial Champiro Winter tire 165 14" owners?

Anyone on the Forum own, or has owned, GT Radial Champiro winter tires for their Mirage's? I found a good price at Canadian Tire, and I was wondering if they're any good. They're a lot cheaper than the Pirelli lineup of 165 14 winters.

Here is the link, in case anyone is interested. Probably location-sensitive pricing on the website, but for me the GT winters were $70.99 each plus recycling, taxes, and install fees. Plus I need new steelies and I don't know what Canadian Tire has, but they can surely order 14" steelies.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires...p.3085434.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Anyone on the Forum own, or has owned, GT Radial Champiro winter tires for their Mirage's? I found a good price at Canadian Tire, and I was wondering if they're any good. They're a lot cheaper than the Pirelli lineup of 165 14 winters.

Here is the link, in case anyone is interested. Probably location-sensitive pricing on the website, but for me the GT winters were $70.99 each plus recycling, taxes, and install fees. Plus I need new steelies and I don't know what Canadian Tire has, but they can surely order 14" steelies.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires...p.3085434.html
    Our 165/65-14 snow tire options in the States are very limited.

Dunlop Winter Maxx
    Nokian Nordman 7 non-studded
    Nokian Nordman 7 studded

In the past year or two, these are the only 165/65-14 snow tire options that I see being offered. Thus, I wouldn't expect a lot of feedback from your southern neighbors.

It's possible someone may be using GT snow tires in another tire size, however.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Looking at the tread pattern, it would be a hell no from me. I drive in too much slush to not have a high void directional tread.

Those I know who have run the Singapore Rubber generally report a good first half of its life, followed by irregular wear and ovaling for the second half.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark and nickels. We have a few more winter tire options in Canada. Unfortunately, finding stores that carry a variety of winter tires 14" is hard to find. Sometimes they advertise tires online, that aren't actually available.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark and nickels. We have a few more winter tire options in Canada. Unfortunately, finding stores that carry a variety of winter tires 14" is hard to find. Sometimes they advertise tires online, that aren't actually available.
    Just looking at the pics of the snow tire (if accurate), I would have the same concerns as Nickels.

I prefer a much more open tread pattern for snow tires, and I am not crazy about one directional tires either. One-directional snow tires seem really popular in recent years, however, but it doesn't allow for easy rotation of the tires.

This is my third winter of using Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires up front. Since they are one-directional, I can't switch sides of the car (unless I had the tires remounted/balanced on rims) with them. They are better than my Dunlop Enasave tires and Federal SS657 tires in the snow, but not as good as I thought they would be.

In the future, I plan on experimenting with 165/65-14 Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. If they give me enough snow performance, I may be using them year round. I would run newer tires during the winter, and older ones during the summer months.

In my case, however, I have an AWD Subaru Forester with Cooper snow tires that I can back out of the garage on the really nasty winter days.

On a positive note, you don't have to deal with TPMS. If I needed new steel rims and snow tires in the past, I would just order them from tirerack.com. They will ship the tires mounted & balanced to your door. Sadly, TPMS has made that process more complicated for us. I am not a fan of TPMS.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This is my third winter of using Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires up front. Since they are one-directional, I can't switch sides of the car (unless I had the tires remounted/balanced on rims) with them. They are better than my Dunlop Enasave tires and Federal SS657 tires in the snow, but not as good as I thought they would be.

In the future, I plan on experimenting with 165/65-14 Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. If they give me enough snow performance, I may be using them year round. I would run newer tires during the winter, and older ones during the summer months.
    If money wasn't an object, then Vredestein Quatrac 5 is the tire I would probably most like to get. That is, if I can find a place that sells them. Pirelli interest me too, but they are expensive.

I take your opinions on your Nordman's seriously. Not sure Nordman are worth the money then.

I've only driven Dunlop's all season and then now Bridgestone Potenza's but they're getting worn out.

With regards to TPMS, I get what you're saying. I just find it a convenience thing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If money wasn't an object, then Vredestein Quatrac 5 is the tire I would probably most like to get. That is, if I can find a place that sells them. Pirelli interest me too, but they are expensive.

I take your opinions on your Nordman's seriously. Not sure Nordman are worth the money then.

I've only driven Dunlop's all season and then now Bridgestone Potenza's but they're getting worn out.

With regards to TPMS, I get what you're saying. I just find it a convenience thing.
    I am assuming you are adding a second set of wheels to your Mirage. The new set of wheel are going to be your new snow tires, and your original set of wheels are your older Bridgestone tires.

You could always go with a new set of Bridgestone Potenza tires for the winter months if you have been happy with them. Use up your older set of Bridgestone during the summer months. In a year or two, replace the old set with another new set of Bridgestone & they become your next winter tires. Just another way to look at it.

As far as Nokian snow tires go, Nordman 7, Vredestein Quatrac 5, & Dunlop Winter Maxx snow tires aren't that different in price here. They are also the only 165/65-14 winter option I see here for us.

If I decided to go with a different size (175/65-14), I would buy Cooper snow tires. They are mid-price tires that I have had good luck with. Not sure Cooper is popular in Canada, however? You have other good/better options, too. I can get a 175/65-14 Cooper snow tire for less than any 165/65-14 snow tire option here. I prefer skinny over wider for snow tires, however. Cooper doesn't make a 165/65-14 tire for sale here.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am assuming you are adding a second set of wheels to your Mirage. The new set of wheel are going to be your new snow tires, and your original set of wheels are your older Bridgestone tires. .
    I'm possibly adding a 3rd pair of tires. I got my Bridgestones, and I also have a set of gently-used Dunlop Endasaves. They came on rims, Mitsubishi alloy's. That will be my summertime tire setup.

I am running my older Bridgestones for the winter months. I just feel like my current Bridgestones are beginning to wear out, and lose grip on the get-go, like low speed from a stop. So I have been looking into all the winter tire possibilities for my Mirage.

Cooper is a well-known brand in Canada. They just don't sell many 14" tires for any cars these days. I feel like my old VW had 13" tires. 1980s Rabbit.
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-26-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I run the GT Radio Champiro IcePro 3 in 175/65R14 size.

Even though they are wider than the OEM tires, I've had no issues with traction, even in fairly deep un-plowed snow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to timw4mail For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    I run the GT Radio Champiro IcePro 3 in 175/65R14 size.

Even though they are wider than the OEM tires, I've had no issues with traction, even in fairly deep un-plowed snow.
    Thanks timw4mail, good information to know.