Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY engine kill switch (via Crankshaft Position Sensor interrupt)

DIY engine kill switch (via Crankshaft Position Sensor interrupt)

I did a test installation of an engine kill switch today, and it works just fine.

Name:  member-puddleglum-albums-tinkertoy2+mods-picture7507-kill-switch-button-install.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  56.3 KB
    (Not my actual kill switch - this pic is from a DIY/project thread on EcoModder.)

FYI, for those not familiar with this mod, shifter-mounted kill switches are commonly used by manual transmission ecomodders to improve MPG. 5-10% gains aren't unusual (non-freeway).

Of course, you could just use the key to do the same thing, but it screws up the odometer & fuel use readings slightly, and adds a little extra wear to the ignition switch. In cars with steering wheel locks (ie. not the Mirage), it's also arguably less safe if the driver is bone-headed enough to turn the key all the way off to stop the engine.

You could also use this as an anti-theft measure, though you'd have to incorporate a single pole single throw switch instead of (or in addition to) the shifter-mounted momentary switch.

All the usual warnings apply:

EG. you will likely die because of this mod and/or ruin your car.

1) Steering: You lose electrically assisted power steering when the engine stops, so if your puny arms can't handle the Mirage's steering in manual mode, don't do this.

Or... modify your EPS system to stay on when you stop the engine.

2) Brakes: You typically only have 2-3 full brake pedal applications with the engine off before the vacuum reservoir is depleted and you lose power assist there as well. Then you have manual brakes which require significantly more pedal effort for a given amount of stopping power.

Or... modify your braking system: increase your vacuum reserve (add volume) / add an electric vacuum pump.

It goes without saying: If you've never done this kind of mod before, do not use it on public roads until you're very familiar with how it affects your car.

Check engine light?

Tim and I were debating whether this would work without throwing a code/CEL. But I've been modifying the same circuit on many of my cars for years, and it's never done anything other than improve fuel economy.

Short version:

I'll add details / schematics to this post later, but the short version is:

1) I used the Russian site electrical circuit diagrams to locate the appropriate Joint Connector plug (behind the cabin fuse panel/junction block) that connects the engine harness (including the Crankshaft Position Sensor wire) to the ECM harness. (So you don't have to mess with splicing wires under the hood and running wires into the cabin.)

2) I cut the Crankshaft Position Sensor wire on the ECM side of the connector and confirmed breaking the circuit stops the engine. Then I spliced in wiring with a normally closed momentary switch to mount on the shifter.

3) Static testing: started engine, opened the circuit and the engine immediately stopped.

4) On road testing: Installed the shifter-mounted switch and did a ~10 minute drive with about a dozen engine kills and nothing unusual happened. No warning lights. No creaks, bangs or funny smells. No CEL.

Last disclaimer:

I'm no technician/engineer. I'm a hacker. If you don't die doing this mod, at the very least you will probably ruin your car.

Pics/details:

Name:  kill-switch-connector.jpg
Views: 2253
Size:  99.1 KB

Above: the blue connector is the one you want.

Note: it also contains other potentially useful wires from the engine harness: MAP, ECT, Speed Sensors.

Name:  MFI-CPS-ECM-circuit.jpg
Views: 2635
Size:  40.1 KB

Above: schematic shows wire colours. Red for the Crankshaft Position Sensor signals. I cut the one in pin #4 that goes to the ECM, rather than the wire coming in from the CPS, because it appears that connection goes to the Camshaft Position Sensor as well as to the ECM.

Name:  joint-connector-c219-c220.jpg
Views: 2172
Size:  62.5 KB

Pinouts of the connector. I used the wire on pin 4 of C-219. (Right-click & View Image to be able to read image labels.)

Last edited by MetroMPG; 12-27-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: (added pics/schematics)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, I've been thinking about doing this lately.

Anecdote: I did this on a previous Miata for an eco-run that I did. Worked great, lots of fun, and was part of what allowed me to see 50 mpg out of a 1990 Miata. BUT... at some point, I guess the contacts in the switch corroded or something. My normally-closed switch became normally open. This coincided with some other problems I was having with the car, so the "no-start" condition wasn't deemed to be related to this switch. But, it turns out that it was!

Bottom line: Use a VERY high-quality switch, and maybe install a secondary BYPASS switch so that you can easily KNOW that you have CAS signal for Troubleshooting.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-27-2019),MetroMPG (12-26-2019)

Good point!

I will add that in an OBD2 vehicle, if you try to start the car with the Crank Position Sensor circuit open, it will throw a CEL specifically for that problem (at least my Metro will... haven't confirmed with the Mirage, but I assume it'd do the same).

My switch-related anecdote: a wire that came slightly loose, causing the engine to stumble when going over a bump bad enough to jostle the connection. I solder everything now.

What circuit did you interrupt in the Miata? I still haven't added one to mine yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The early Miata has no crank position sensor. It derives that info from cam position. So, I just interrupted the CAS signal. Very quickly stalls the engine with no misfire.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-27-2019)

Added pics / schematics / pinouts to post 1.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great mod Darin. I was sure it would throw a CEL, but I'm very happy to see it doesn't!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thats a nice little mod as far as hypermiling goes.

I wouldn't do it as an anti-theft device though. The manual transmission Mirage already has two anti-theft device.

1. Who in their right mind would want to steal a Mirage?
    2. Most thiefs don't know how to drive manual transmission cars anyway.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-27-2019),MetroMPG (01-05-2020),timw4mail (07-06-2020)

^ truth!

Update: I've been using this mod now for a couple hundred kilometers with no problems.

Coincidentally (?), I also just had my best tank MPG so far, at 63 MPG (US) / 3.7 L/100 km.

Notable: the MID B-gauge accuracy (I reset at each fill) was much better this tank, at 4% optimistic, vs. 8% optimistic on the previous tank when I was using the key-off-key-on to kill the engine. I think using a kill switch avoids interruptions in MPG calculations and keeps the numbers closer to reality.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Loren (01-05-2020)

I'm doing this mod to the Even Fancier Metro today.

Should be good for another couple of MPG on the current tank. 65 MPG?? We shall see.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not quite sure why, but I've got the itch to finally do this mod.

Need to shop for some switches. Or, I could go out to the garage and see what's out there. But, the garage is a disaster. Meh.