Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My God, did I bloody ache!!

Country
    UK
    Thanks

My God, did I bloody ache!!

Monday 23rd I took my mental Mirage down to London for the Christmas period. I had to drop off a gun not too far from Stanstead Airport and then onto Forest Hill South London.
    I have to say that, for me, the Mirage is not a comfortable car for a long 'un. At Stanstead I had to call a chiropractor to put me back together again with a bit of spinal manipulation. I was in bloody agony.

Then onto Forest Hill, some 40 odd miles away. Prior to leaving Yorkshire all tyre pressures were checked along with water and oil.
    Some months ago I replaced the two front tyres (GT radial tyres) I cannot for the life of me recommend them. The Mirage has vague steering as it is these GT tyres exacerbate the issue. it wandersover the road like I do after a bottle of whisky.

Also the fuel consumption is not anywhere near as good as I expected, 50 mpg on the way down and 48 back home???
    The Fiat Panda I had previous was worse on the mpg but had far better road manners and no dislodged vertebrae after a run. Good points are that it's pretty nippy (hope nobody's watching, I hit 105 mph) and all the gizmo's were a boon, especially cruise control and The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and the Eagles busting my eardrums through the sound system. Will look to add better speakers soon.
    Now, Would I Buy Another............................err, no. Simply bone manipulators ain't cheap.
    Happy New Year peeps = people

2. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-01-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I agree the two worst things about this car is the blasted steering and the most uncomfortable, unergonomically shaped shallow-foam seats.

I modified the steering so it doesn't stick any more. It was quite some effort in researching the problem, the cure descibed in a thread burried deap in this forum.
    Did a few modifications to the drivers seat, which was a major challenge! I would have liked to have thrown out the OEM seat, and replace it with something else, but that would be illegal since the seat is part of the model type approval. The foam seat cushion has practically no foam under my right thigh, pinching it off and causing the blood circulation to be blocked when my foot is on the pedal. So my leg aches terribly, and feels numb after several minutes. The seat back is just as bad or even worse, lumbar support is at the wrong place, and the top part of my back is forced to curl forward, not possible to sit straight. What a garbage seat! My leg going numb and the top part of my chest constantly curled forward and the back of the head being hit every few bumps or so by the f***ing headrest. Not that I am especially tall or small, being average at 174cm high.
    The maniacs that constructed or approved that pain-in-the-arse seat should be firmly strapped to it for a few hours as physical punishment!

The next car I would have bought, if it weren't for this one, would have been a Panda. It uses more fuel, but is very easy and cheap to maintain and lasts long, and the steering is good and the seats are a dream.

I agree about the GT Radials, wouldn't want them either. I have Continental EcoContact summer tyres, and SAVA winter tyres. The EcoContact are truly excellent LRR tyres, possibly the best in the world.
    MPG-wise, mine uses 4.3L/100km.
    Last edited by foama; 12-31-2019 at 09:34 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

itschad (12-31-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    and all the gizmo's were a boon, especially cruise control and The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and the Eagles busting my eardrums through the sound system. Will look to add better speakers soon.
    Now, Would I Buy Another............................err, no.
    Sorry to hear about your luck there itschad. I need to get my back looked at or more likely a massage therapist. I'm 6'1 and all legs, so I get pretty jammed in my little Mirage. As well, the short wheelbase makes the car more bouncy like a tennis ball compared to a vehicle more firmly planted on the ground.

MPG-wise, I think 48 mpg is what I get with my Mirage. So I think when Mitsubishi says 64 MPG that isn't gonna happen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your luck there itschad. I need to get my back looked at or more likely a massage therapist. I'm 6'1 and all legs, so I get pretty jammed in my little Mirage. As well, the short wheelbase makes the car more bouncy like a tennis ball compared to a vehicle more firmly planted on the ground.

MPG-wise, I think 48 mpg is what I get with my Mirage. So I think when Mitsubishi says 64 MPG that isn't gonna happen.
    Im 6ft 1 too, can get comfortable in the car but I always wear a hat that the head restraint interfers with. The suspension set up on my car (maybe a European thing) is fine.

Does your car have an auto box? Mine is manual and mpg ain't too good.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Chad as a part time Uber driver, who is 6ft as well, I implore you to get a bambo foam seat pad. It has saved my life in regard to this car. Everything was hurting before I got it, right leg, lower back, fat ass. Please check out this link!

https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Bambo...7845580&sr=8-3

You will sit a bit high for a week or so, but it will compress eventually still providing support but lowering your head.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

itschad (01-01-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Chad as a part time Uber driver, who is 6ft as well, I implore you to get a bambo foam seat pad. It has saved my life in regard to this car. Everything was hurting before I got it, right leg, lower back, fat ass. Please check out this link!

https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Bambo...7845580&sr=8-3

You will sit a bit high for a week or so, but it will compress eventually still providing support but lowering your head.
    Miracle Bamboo, I watched some video and the product contains no bamboo, Chad is confused.
    But thank you DD I will investigate further. Apparently Amazon do not stock Miracle Bamboo in the UK so will investigate.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had never before heard of a Fiat Panda, but looking at some of my old photos look what happened to find:
    Name:  panda.JPG
Views: 644
Size:  71.2 KB
    I guess I have seen one before, in Munich in 2013.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Im 6ft 1 too, can get comfortable in the car but I always wear a hat that the head restraint interfers with. The suspension set up on my car (maybe a European thing) is fine.

Does your car have an auto box? Mine is manual and mpg ain't too good.
    Another 6'1" guy here with zero complaints about the seat, egronomics, or comfort on long trips. I suffer from RHS sciatica and degenerative disc disease, advanced. I put a gel memory foam cushion on the seat and a heated massage seat & back for cold days. I still prefer the 6 way deluxe seat but my '17 isn't wired for heat so I didn't upgrade.

Mileage? You guys are doing something wrong. On winter tires I'm getting 20km/l (56mpg imp.) in below 0 C weather.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For you chaps who like me are confounded by the stupid headrest being at an angle where it bops you in the head, I have found that turning it around puts it is a very nice position. I "THINK" I switched the sides L to R when I flipped them 180 but that may not be necessary.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

itschad (01-03-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    For you chaps who like me are confounded by the stupid headrest being at an angle where it bops you in the head, I have found that turning it around puts it is a very nice position. I "THINK" I switched the sides L to R when I flipped them 180 but that may not be necessary.
    That's a sound idea, however, firstly they are not HEADRESTS they are HEAD RESTRAINTS. They are angled that way to prevent injury (whiplash) in a collision. There are many trivial accidents that a fly for example would survive but unscrupulous people try to make an injury claim. When I first started driving there were none at all unless you invested in a high class car.