Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Road Tripping a 2017 CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Yeah, the cvt is not close to the manual in mileage. I've personally never got that poor of mileage. For a tank the lowest I see is 45

Mitsubishi claims (city/highway/combined) -
    CVT mpg = 36/43/39
    Manual mpg = 33/39/36

Yet, I never see the mpg numbers some CVT forum members share either. Hypermilling - don't really know what's done or really care. I bought a Mirage so I can drive normal & get good mpg. If a Mirage didn't get 40+ mpg year round, I would not own or drive one. There are nicer vehicles getting upper 30's mpg.

Mitsubishi claims 33/39/36 for the manual, but I never see numbers that low ever. 40-45 mpg during the dead of winter, & 45-50 mpg during the rest of the year is what I see. I drive normal & don't do anything special. I make 4-hour trips to my parents often (60-65 mph two lane highways, 70-80 mph 4-lane roads, and some of that is hilly SW Wisconsin (driftless region). Last two trips - week before Christmas was mild temperature, and I got above 46 mpg. A week later I went again, & I got around 43 mpg (colder temps).

I really like the powertrain of the 5-speed manual Mirage!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Did you use the cruise control at all? I thought CVT Mirages got better highway mpg when the cruise control was engaged. Maybe someone with a CVT can confirm this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is a mostly stripper car. AC, BT and fog lights. I don't think it has any other options. No cruise control.

If the CC logic is good, I can see it doing better on the highway.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Did you use the cruise control at all? I thought CVT Mirages got better highway mpg when the cruise control was engaged. Maybe someone with a CVT can confirm this.
    I find the cruise control always has too many RPMs to come close to manual gas petal control. But obviously milage will vary.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Be interested to see that additional thread. I wasn't going to comment, but when I read your original post, I was sick to my stomach, because my CVT doesn't act like that at all. It constantly hunts for the range it wants to be in, and overall has just been a bad experience for me. I miss my 5MT so much more since buying this stupid CVT replacement.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    As an owner of 2, give it time. It will adjust to your driving style and you will master it. The hunting should disappear aith practice. I had the same issue, now I dont.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Be interested to see that additional thread. I wasn't going to comment, but when I read your original post, I was sick to my stomach, because my CVT doesn't act like that at all. It constantly hunts for the range it wants to be in, and overall has just been a bad experience for me. I miss my 5MT so much more since buying this stupid CVT replacement.
    My initial thoughts were based on a VERY hypermiling drive in conditions and on roads that allowed me to drive no faster than 52 mph with a VERY light throttle. Driving it that way... it did drive as-described. But, that's not at all a typical situation for most people, nor is it the way that most people drive.

Having driven a 28+ hours in the car over the past 4 days in a more highway setting, to include some rolling hills with traffic, etc, etc... I learned a lot more about the car and how it works. I still don't completely hate it, you just have to learn its quirks.

I'll start a new thread soon. Hopefully, before I forget the details.

Handed the car off to my son and his fiancee today. I'm done with it!

Simplify and add lightness.