Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Tripping a 2017 CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Road Tripping a 2017 CVT

My Mom was shopping for a new car a couple years ago, and I suggested she look at a Mirage. She did, and she ended up buying a pretty spartan brand new 2017 model with a CVT. It's got Bluetooth and foglights, that's about it. Over the past few years, she racked up 25,000 trouble-free miles on it, and she was very happy with it.

She passed away a few weeks ago, and my sisters offered me an irresistable deal on the car. (low trade-in value x 3/4 because it's already 1/4 mine) So, I bought it and offered it to my son for a little less than half what I paid for it because I know he needs a car. Of course, he didn't pass up that deal. And I've volunteered to deliver it to him.

He's in Kansas. I'm in Florida. Road trip!

I'll be making the trek solo, and I've given myself an easy 3 days to drive 1500+ miles. Absolute minimum 22 hours driving time. I'm more likely to do it in 25-27 hours plus stops. I'm not in a hurry, and I'll hypermile it and stay off of the Interstates as much as possible.

Picked up the car today. Drove it 45 miles on back roads, averaging about 40 mph, peaking at about 52 mph. Was amazed that I was able to hit 55 mpg EASILY, and by the time I got home, I'd seen 62 for a little bit, and managed to hang onto 60.7 mpg! Drove out to dinner after that, and still only dropped down to 55.8.

I really want to hate this car and its silly CVT. But, for just bombing around town... I'll deny ever having said this... it's perfect. It's always in the right gear. It will keep the revs ABSURDLY low if you want it to, and even accelerating at a constant 2k rpm... it still accelerates well enough to keep up with most traffic. And it COASTS better than a manual. With a manual, you're either in-gear coasting, or you're neutral coasting. When you lift off-throttle, the CVT seems to essentially put you in neutral (without the in-gear drag of a manual), but it gives the engine just barely enough momentum to keep it at 1200 rpm, and I assume it's keeping it in DFCO. It's a hypermiler's dream! It's not as engaging as a manual transmission, but it truly is a technological marvel... and now I'm going to have to read more about how it works.

And I think it's really bizarre to set the rpm with the right foot, watch the tach stay put, and the speedo rise. It doesn't rise QUICKLY, but it definitely does so deliberately. You don't feel like you're accelerating because the revs don't change... but, before you know it, you're up to 40-45 mph without ever having revved over 2k.

Anyhow, I'll be giving the car a once-over tomorrow. The oil was changed last month, and it has one new tire on the rear. (sis damaged one on a misplaced drain grate) The other 3 are OE and close to 1/3 tread. The car is completely stock and I've already set the tire pressures to 40 psi.

I did buy a set of rubber donut spring spacers to put in the springs. I'm going to stuff those in there tomorrow to see if I like it firmer. I really didn't hate it today, it handles well enough. Very predictable with delightfully nimble steering. The ride is comfortable, but I think just a touch more stiffness would not be unwelcome. We'll see.

Otherwise, I'll probably up the tire pressures to 45 or so. And I need to check the alignment. The steering wheel is slightly off-center. Might tweak the front toe to get that straight.

Road trip begins Friday afternoon!

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

pawpaw (01-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    First the important stuff: condolences on the passing of your mother.

Second: I really wanted to like the CVT, but I went with a manual. I do love how the CVT keeps the RPM's so low, and would definitely be less engine noise on a road trip. You've been on the forum long enough to know about the importance of CVT oil/filter changes. Can't wait to read how the road trip goes with fuel economy, seat comfort, etc.

P.s. check out a Daox sway bar. Firms up the ride, but not overly so.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    First the important stuff: condolences on the passing of your mother.
    Thanks. And rather than clutter this thread up with that... I know you're all thinking it, it doesn't need to be said, and I thank you all for your thoughts. Mom lived a long and happy life, and she was ready to go.

You've been on the forum long enough to know about the importance of CVT oil/filter changes.
    Yep, already warned my son about that. Don't abuse the car. Change the engine oil at least every 10k (5k while it's still under warranty), and change the trans fluid every 50k WITH THE PROPER FLUID.

Can't wait to read how the road trip goes with fuel economy, seat comfort, etc.
    Which brings up a good point. Are the 2017 seats different from my 2015? It does seem more comfortable so far. Could just be that I have the seat adjusted differently?

I've been reading up on the transmission. You can really feel the 2-speed planetary gear change. It's the only thing that's "clunky" about the transmission. I understand its purpose, but it does take away from the smoothness. I expect that I'll learn to anticipate and somewhat control it, as one does when driving an automatic.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have fun on the roadtrip. Would have been more memorable if your son flew out to you one way and roadtrip it back together.
    I did 2,080 mi in just under 29hrs when I was 19. I don't recommend it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just swapped in 2018 GT seats into my 2015 DE. They're world's ahead in comfort. I can't stand the DE seats that were in my car.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    He and I did a 5-state "high-pointing" road trip in a beater Miata when he was 14. That was fun. (high-pointing = visiting the highest point in each state, we did FL, AL, GA, SC, NC and TN)

I think I'll enjoy the solo trip, honestly. A little "me" time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    He and I did a 5-state "high-pointing" road trip in a beater Miata when he was 14. That was fun. (high-pointing = visiting the highest point in each state, we did FL, AL, GA, SC, NC and TN)

I think I'll enjoy the solo trip, honestly. A little "me" time.
    Lol are there really any high points in those states haha. Come on son, let's visits the vast mountains of Florida.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Lol are there really any high points in those states haha. Come on son, let's visits the vast mountains of Florida.
    I've known it as Peak Bagging from the cycling community. It's a fun and interesting way to explore an area and learn about the local geography. Florida would be an easy starting point.

I know - a trip to the Driftless region can serve as the next Mirage meet-up.
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-01-2020 at 04:52 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    As someone who road trips frequently in my 2014 DE CVT from Atlanta to Charleston, SC. I definitely recommend getting out every 2 to 3 hours and stretching. The DE seats are terrible but there's a quick fix using a bambo memory foam seat pad. These have completely turned my driving comfort around.

https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Bambo...7845580&sr=8-3

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    As someone who road trips frequently in my 2014 DE CVT from Atlanta to Charleston, SC
    Whatcha doing in Charleston? I was stationed there back in the day. Great place to visit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)