Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Limey Eye Candy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    That Aygo look pretty sporty. I wonder if it's made by Toyota or by Mazda for Toyota like the Yaris is here stateside?
    Never mind - it's neither. Wikipedia says it's a Toyota/Peugeot/Citroën joint venture.

The VW Up! has drawn some attention from the forum. What's VWs reputation for reliability these days? It would be nice to have it available here but not if it's unreliable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

itschad (01-15-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Chad, out of all the manufacturers in the UK, which do you see the most of? Ford?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Chad, out of all the manufacturers in the UK, which do you see the most of? Ford?
    Top selling vehicle in the UK is a Ford, but not the Ford F-150. Ford has 3 vehicles in the UK's top 10 (1st, 3rd, & 7th place). Ironically, Ford cars that are big sellers in the UK are being totally dropped in the U.S. market.

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/busin...-2019-updated/

Quote from above article - "The Fiesta sold nearly 20,000 more than the second most popular car and accounted for a third of all Ford’s registrations alone."

Not trying to answer for Chad, but I became curious enough to look this up.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That Aygo look pretty sporty. I wonder if it's made by Toyota or by Mazda for Toyota like the Yaris is here stateside?
    Never mind - it's neither. Wikipedia says it's a Toyota/Peugeot/Citroën joint venture.

The VW Up! has drawn some attention from the forum. What's VWs reputation for reliability these days? It would be nice to have it available here but not if it's unreliable.
    Yes the Aygo, Citroen C1 and Peugeot 108 are all basically the same car with a different suit on. The best looking by far is the Aygo, it has an injection of flair that's devoid on the other two. All three are manufactured in Poland at the same plant.

I had, in 2013 a Seat Mii, basically a Vw up!, here is an interior shot of the Seat Mii.

Name:  seat_mii_5-door_uk-spec_9.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  93.4 KB

That interior is exactly the same as mine which included brand specific sat nav system which was very good. Mine was a 3 door, as I needed a 5 door (grandchildren) I got a Vw up!, less frantic interior but a little more 'refined' (soundproofing I think) and a little better interior. The Skoda Citigo is again the same car and reliability is good. They are very popular here and in Europe (there, I've gone and mentioned that place again) I drove the one's I had from Yorkshire to London Forest Hill (225 miles) both cars were fine and comfortable, better seats than the Mirage, don't shoot me for that, both had the 59 bhp 3 cylinder lump. There is a 74bhp engine too.

Interior shot of 2015 Vw up! I had. More sombre.

Name:  1231212230381361600x1060.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  69.8 KB

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Ford were very big here when they built cars in Dagenham Essex, less popular today but not by much. The Ford Fiesta is a popular car because of its handling, there is no other car in this class to compare. I just couldn't buy one because the dashboard took its design from an old Nokia phone, yuk, My son had the screamer ST variant but got stolen.
    I believe the Vw brand is more prevalent here in Yorkshire. The Golf, Polo, Passat and up! are very popular.

The reason I never bought the Fiesta, that God awful interior.
    Name:  ford-fiesta-hatchback-2013-interior_0.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  36.9 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-16-2020)

Thanks for the vacation photo dump, Eggman (and itschad)!

I know I'd have a sore neck from catching sight of all those interesting cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    The reason I never bought the Fiesta, that God awful interior.
    Name:  ford-fiesta-hatchback-2013-interior_0.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  36.9 KB
    I like the VW interior you shared much better than the Ford Fiesta, too!

The VW interior seems very straightforward, uncluttered and intuitive to use.

I honestly believe dashes in new cars have become distracting, & it warrants features like lane departure, adaptive cruise control, and automatic emergency braking being added to cars. Seems like we have added distractions and counters for them at the same time, maybe? I like simple!

I don't find the seats in my 2017 Mirage to be that uncomfortable, & I do 4+ hour road trips to my parents quite often in my Mirage. I wish my front seat would go back another inch or two, but other than that I don't sense any discomfort when driving the Mirage. Not saying there aren't better seats out there for sure, however.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I like the VW interior you shared much better than the Ford Fiesta, too!

The VW interior seems very straightforward, uncluttered and intuitive to use.

I honestly believe dashes in new cars have become distracting, & it warrants features like lane departure, adaptive cruise control, and automatic emergency braking being added to cars. Seems like we have added distractions and counters for them at the same time, maybe? I like simple!

I don't find the seats in my 2017 Mirage to be that uncomfortable, & I do 4+ hour road trips to my parents quite often in my Mirage. I wish my front seat would go back another inch or two, but other than that I don't sense any discomfort when driving the Mirage. Not saying there aren't better seats out there for sure, however.
    It's funny what an individual may think about his car compared to another. I drive from Yorkie land to London quite often, the best I've ever piloted, for comfort and ease of driving is the Volvo S40 (picture below) The Mirage, for me, is decidedly more uncomfortable even compared with a Fiat Panda but tolerable, just.
    I'm not saying I dislike the mental Mirage, despite its lack of frugality and uncomfortable seating, I love the way the car gets me from A to B and all its toys.

Name:  volvo-s40-1999-084l.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  56.0 KB

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    It's funny what an individual may think about his car compared to another. I drive from Yorkie land to London quite often, the best I've ever piloted, for comfort and ease of driving is the Volvo S40 (picture below) The Mirage, for me, is decidedly more uncomfortable even compared with a Fiat Panda but tolerable, just.
    I'm not saying I dislike the mental Mirage, despite its lack of frugality and uncomfortable seating, I love the way the car gets me from A to B and all its toys.

Name:  volvo-s40-1999-084l.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  56.0 KB
    Chad, try a memory foam seat pad yet? I promise, it'll change your whole outlook.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Chad, try a memory foam seat pad yet? I promise, it'll change your whole outlook.
    No mate not yet. I will stomach the seats as is simply because it's only about three times a year I drive to London. Poodling about up here in Yorkshire it's fine and doesn't break me in half.