Thread: Looking around for aftermarket ignition coils

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightbulb Looking around for aftermarket ignition coils

Hey guys, I was just curious to see if there is any aftermarket (performance) ignition coils out there. Such as MSD. I've did some researching and only found OEM ones. Noteworthy, would having a more stronger spark produce more horsepower and gas mileage? Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I doubt you'll gain much from new coils. If you had added forced induction it may help. But, if the engine is stock I just don't forsee it helping much.

That being said, you never know if you don't try. An ignition coil is not a highly complicated device. One can be adapted from something else if you wish to without a ton of work.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    You don't really need this, because the stock ignition system is well designed!

If you really do want a stronger spark and like lowering high frequency interference in one go, you could do this with reference to the FSM circuit diagrams on page 90-44.

Run a mylar capacitor of 1µF between the brown wire on pin three of the ignition coil connector of the coil for cylinder one, and pin 2 of the same connector (black wire = ground). By doing so, the high-frequency interference will be lowered and the current drawn by the coil circuits will rise a bit. Why rise? The wires feeding the coils have electrical resistance, and the pulsing current alternates between flowing and stopping. The charged capacitor keeps the voltage up and discharges its current to the coils when they need it. (Simplified explaination)
    If you don't know what I am talking about or aren't sure about how to do it without creating short-circuits, then forget it rather than killing the ECU. All at your own risk...

Last edited by foama; 01-03-2020 at 07:19 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-03-2020)