Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Junkyard Find: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage - Murilee Martin TTAC

Junkyard Find: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage - Murilee Martin TTAC

You gotta check out this article:

Junkyard Find: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage

Name:  00-2014-Mitsubishi-Mirage-in-Colorado-junkyard-photo-by-Murilee-Martin-768x432.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  85.4 KB

I'm a regular reader of his Junkyard columns. Not sure why, but I find them pretty compelling. (Maybe because a lot of the cars I have owned aren't too far from the junkyard!)

This one didn't go the way I thought it would, and neither did the comments posted after. I figured it would be yet another vicious roast of the Mirage, especially considering it now holds the record for the NEWEST car he's ever seen in a junkyard that isn't a collision write-off. (Previous newest was a 2012 Fiat 500.)

Based on the seat wear requiring seat covers, this one was probably a commercial delivery vehicle. It was too cosmetically beat up to be an Uber or taxi.

I figure it's worth posting in the "reviews" subforum because he's reviewed the car a number of times, and he really GETS IT, demonstrated again in this post.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ubishi-mirage/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Judge Phil is the man.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Great read. Though I suspect this car is an ES Navi...so it's probably not going to be a rental or fleet kind of car. I suspect it was a private owner vehicle that was...as the author noted..."cruelly abused every day of it's short life".

Such is the fate of many cheap cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting how the Thai advertisement had the new frontend. I really like it.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    He didnt say how many miles on it?

Needs a working battery to see the odometer.

He's increasingly running into this problem... should carry a little 12v batt when he's car hunting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I saw a 5 Speed Mirage at a Kenny U Pull in Hamilton, Ontario last year. I seriously considered going back to get the drivetrain out of it. The thing had no damage on it except for the marks left by the forklift when it was being handled and the wreckers. It was gone the next time I managed to get out there.

I'm quite blown away by the negative reaction the Mirage gets. All my friends that bought new "much nicer" cars in the last few years have nothing but problems. There is a Ford Fiesta which visits the dealership with Transmission problems twice a year, another Focus with the same thing, an Elantra that randomly doesn't start on cold winter mornings, a Nissan that has gone through two CVT transmissions, and a friend with a Chrysler 200 that leaks so much water, half of his interior just sits in my shop so that it doesn't get water damaged. During all that time, I haven't had to do anything to my Mirage other than replacing a bent rim because my dumbass didn't see a sheet of ice while making a left turn and hit a curb.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to the relatively low value that the Mirage might have as it gets older. Back in my days of modifying Neons for racing, it was great finding cars for $250-$1000, spending a few hundred to get them road worthy, and then slapping turbos on them and driving the piss out of them with little to no guilt, because not much money was invested.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pimp_Daddy_Patty For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-15-2020)

The thing had no damage on it except for the marks left by the forklift when it was being handled and the wreckers.
    I wonder why it ended up in the junkyard. Any ideas?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I had no immediate ideas, my suspicion was probably engine or clutch related. I didn't take a close enough look at it to really investigate.
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    It didn't use enough fuel haha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)