Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Causes of Water Leak Inside

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Causes of Water Leak Inside

Hi Friends,

While I was cleaning the rubber carpet a week back I noticed the factory carpet beneath that is completely wet on the passenger side. The carpet is wet both on the front seat and rear seat. What could be the possible causes of leak? My car ran out of 5 yr warranty two months back.

When I asked Mitsubishi dealer here in Schaumburg, IL, they quoted me 400$ for inspection.

I have removed few plastics in the front to pull the carpet upwards and dry. I can see mold already formed.

I don't have the luxury of garage to dry it using a fan. Attaching the images hereby. I don't see any issue with AC drain pipe.

I am planning to take it to a car wash to see if I can identify the leak. Any suggestions?

Attached Images Attached Images    

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Firstly, the carpet is not impervious to water as for example on Suzuki's, it is not coated with a thick layer of plastic sheeting on the back. Water from boots can go all the way through easily, the stuffing underneath soaked without being noticed.

Secondly, high in the hitlist is the rubber water discharge tube of the A/C. It can become dislodged without being noticed, especially if a passenger has big feet and pokes them under or around the heater assy. I would look there first! You can find the hose at the top left of the foot area on the passenger side, near the heater box. It must exit the passenger area and not end in the inside. Look up various threads about that in this forum.

Thirdly, water on or under carpets can cause major electrical problems! Beware! Connectors, particularly to the left of the drivers left foot begin to foul causing havoc. They must be 100% clean and dry. Look up threads about that in this forum.
    Last edited by foama; 01-07-2020 at 06:47 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

ditomathew (01-07-2020),inuvik (01-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Hello ditomathew and welcome to the forum.

foama pretty much covered what you are describing, the Usual Suspect being the AC condensate drain. Though judging by the looks of your pictures, you've thoroughly inspected the area.

With the carpet removed, it should be apparent the extent of the water and maybe even it's source? If the water is coming from the AC drain, any stains should 'originate' from there. Otherwise, considering your location I would suspect the water is brought in by passengers. I wonder if your passenger seat shows signs of wear? If this is caused by passengers, a good set of floor mats should be a step in the right direction.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

ditomathew (01-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, wet feet in the car cause water to pool up something awful. A set of weathertech mats are you best defense for that. I wish Husky made mats for these things.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

ditomathew (01-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Forgive me if this has been covered, but did you buy this Mirage new? I assumed you bought it used.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Forgive me if this has been covered, but did you buy this Mirage new? I assumed you bought it used.
    Yes I bought it as used in April 2019. Anything to do with that?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ditomathew For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Yeah, wet feet in the car cause water to pool up something awful. A set of weathertech mats are you best defense for that. I wish Husky made mats for these things.
    I have been using the Mitsubishi Mirage OEM rubber mats ON. Isn't that a good one?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ditomathew For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The factory mats are garbage. I have them in my 15 and don't like them at all. I'll be getting the better ones for it as soon as I have a few extra bucks for them.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

ditomathew (01-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ditomathew View Post
    Yes I bought it as used in April 2019. Anything to do with that?
    Only if you were the original owner and this is a newly-developed problem. Then we can try to figure out what changed and when.

Quote Originally Posted by ditomathew View Post
    I have been using the Mitsubishi Mirage OEM rubber mats ON. Isn't that a good one?
    I have WeatherTech mats, but I understand the Mitsubishi OEM rubber mats are pretty good too - so maybe it's not from passenger boots?

Last edited by Eggman; 01-08-2020 at 08:39 AM.