Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Shore of Lake Ontario

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome, Piet!

I'm curious about the frame damage that totalled your first Mirage in an otherwise "minor" collision. Any more details about that incident? Front/rear/side impact?
    Sure! I was driving on the QEW into Toronto during heavy traffic and had to do a lane change when a pickup truck decided my car was invisible. I shifted into the left lane just as that lane slammed to a halt. I very nearly made it, but ended up bumping hard into the back of a nice Infiniti Q50. I figure, if you're going to hit someone, you might as well go large.

I was going perhaps 30 kph and another ten feet of space or so would have saved me or just turned it into a friendly bumper kiss. At the scene there seemed to be no damage at all to the Q5 and nothing beyond a bent bumper grill for me. We exchanged info and I drove off. I reported the damage to the OPP later that evening. It drove fine - I even drove it north of Barrie and back a couple of days later (almost 400km).

However, I noticed when I was stuck in a really long drive through the temp warning kept coming on. I got it to the Carstar soon after and they discovered the fan had been pushed into the engine and wasn't spinning. They said there was frame damage and priced it at over $10K to fix.

I replaced it with a used Sentra, which was really boring... and that got totalled 15 months later by a jeep in an intersection, so I went back to a Mirage. I miss the 2015 though.

Last edited by Piet; 01-16-2020 at 04:20 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Piet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-16-2020),inuvik (01-16-2020),MetroMPG (01-16-2020)

Thanks for the details. Sounds like a crazy high repair estimate to me all else considered, but I don't know anything about unibody repair.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Thanks for the details. Sounds like a crazy high repair estimate to me all else considered, but I don't know anything about unibody repair.
    I think in hindsight I've have gotten a second opinion, but I've always heard good things about Carstar affiliates.

I'm gonna end up doing another rebuilder soon. I'm hoping this one will be less work than the last one. Latest one had an initial quote for $4000 to repair, then it went up to $7000 for some reason and was written off. I'll post how bad it is whenever I get it in the shop. I saw one "lightly" rear ended. Didn't even crack the bumper, but looked underneith and the floor was bucked where the spare tire goes. The sheet metal was coming apart at the glued seams. $4000 quote to fix.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Piet View Post
    Nice to meet you, Wally! I used to be a newspaper reporter out your way, from 2010 to 2014. I love cruising around Niagara back roads.
    I'm loving it here. I wish my move was 20 years earlier. As for minor impacts equaling a write off just look in my garage at the minor damage my 14 sustained. in a glancing blow. The tow truck driver told me that in his experience small cars with deployed air bags=instant write off.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)