Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Shore of Lake Ontario

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

South Shore of Lake Ontario

Hey there, folks. My name is Piet, I'm 45 and have lived in an industrial city in southern Ontario for 38 of those years. I have had two Mirages - the first a black 2015 ES that suffered a frame bend in an otherwise minor collision after about 40,000 kms as a commuter and road tripper. I went to insurance and they declined to repair the frame.

It was a solid car, though the brakes needed replacing around 30,000 kms. Otherwise one of my favorite cars ever. I drove other adults with three days of camping equipment and food in that car, from Ontario to rural Indiana and back and everyone managed a degree of comfort.

My current Mirage is a 2018 GT that I've put 46,000 km on. No mechanical problems at all thus far, aside from a tendency for the low profile tires to spring a leak on rough roads. When I put the winters on this year, it rode much better and I think I'll make the switch to normal profile for the tires the rest of the year as well. I like it a lot, though I miss the 2015. Here's some photos from a night drive this evening to Fisherman's Pier between Hamilton Harbour and Lake Ontario.Name:  IMG_20200111_192755~2.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20200111_192820.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  93.1 KB

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Piet For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-12-2020),inuvik (01-12-2020),MetroMPG (01-16-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Piet View Post
    Hey there, folks. My name is Piet, I'm 45 and have lived in an industrial city in southern Ontario for 38 of those years. I have had two Mirages - the first a black 2015 ES that suffered a frame bend in an otherwise minor collision
    Hi Piet. Sorry to hear about your ordeal with your first Mirage. Lots of memories though eh? Cool photos. The profile of the Mirage is unique, and it shows here in your photos.

Those headlights on your Mirage look super bright. I have a 2014 base ES Mirage manual myself. I like the lights on my Mirage a lot, but yours look brighter.

Another thing, my entire dash, and stereo is orange at night. I see yours is blue, and then on top of that you have the dash screen. So that is all different on your new Mirage.
    Last edited by dspace9; 01-12-2020 at 11:46 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Piet View Post
    Hey there, folks. My name is Piet, I'm 45 and have lived in an industrial city in southern Ontario for 38 of those years. I have had two Mirages
    Thanks Piet for the update. You could put the GT tires up for sale here. I'm sure someone will want them.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Those headlights on your Mirage look super bright. I have a 2014 base ES Mirage manual myself. I like the lights on my Mirage a lot, but yours look brighter.
    I'm pretty sure the GTs got HID headlamps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey Hamilton boy! Greetings from another industrial city dweller, Niagara Falls/St.Kiits. I'm on my third Mirage! My 2014 SE was killed @14,000kms, my 2017 ES with 54,000kms and my other 2014 SE with 239,000kms. Cheers!
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Another thing, my entire dash, and stereo is orange at night. I see yours is blue, and then on top of that you have the dash screen. So that is all different on your new Mirage.
    I miss the softer orange glow from my 2015, but I do love the touchscreen for the maps and receiving text messages.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Thanks Piet for the update. You could put the GT tires up for sale here. I'm sure someone will want them.
    That's an excellent point! Thank you!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Hey Hamilton boy! Greetings from another industrial city dweller, Niagara Falls/St.Kiits. I'm on my third Mirage! My 2014 SE was killed @14,000kms, my 2017 ES with 54,000kms and my other 2014 SE with 239,000kms. Cheers!
    Nice to meet you, Wally! I used to be a newspaper reporter out your way, from 2010 to 2014. I love cruising around Niagara back roads.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome Piet! So cool to hear you were able to road trip from Canada to Indiana! Loaded down what was your average MPG? I agree lots of space there in the back

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrown2346 View Post
    Welcome Piet! So cool to hear you were able to road trip from Canada to Indiana! Loaded down what was your average MPG? I agree lots of space there in the back
    Hey, Doc! That I can't remember - it was back in 2016. But even with three fat adults and camping gear we still managed above 400 km before fuel stops.

I rode down to Pittsburgh solo in 2017 and on the last stretch south I beat (for the first time) the claimed highway mileage of 44 mpg (5.3l/100km). Not by much, mind you - about 45mpg. But I was pleased. It helped that I could drive 55 a lot of that distance.

Welcome, Piet!

I'm curious about the frame damage that totalled your first Mirage in an otherwise "minor" collision. Any more details about that incident? Front/rear/side impact?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)