Thread: Up Date on Updated Car Audio

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Up Date on Updated Car Audio

A few weeks ago I put, rather I paid for someone to put, a Pioneer double din infotainment system in my car to enable me to have Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.
    I had loads of trouble receiving and holding DAB reception, tried two aerials (type that are fixed to the windscreen) neither of which worked. They, Halfords, and I were stumped even to the point of having it removed, getting refunded my outlay and having the original refitted.
    However, a young chap,Tom, in Halfords suggested getting a converter that'll make use of the Mitsubishi's roof top DAB aerial, it was fitted yesterday and by golly it works very well and reception in superb.
    Any other souls on here experienced difficulties? I seem to recall one member buying and fitting an ebay special Chinese cheapie, I wonder if he/they experienced trouble.

SPH-DA230DAB -

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    However, a young chap,Tom, in Halfords suggested getting a converter that'll make use of the Mitsubishi's roof top DAB aerial, it was fitted yesterday and by golly it works very well and reception in superb.
    First I've heard of it but that doesn't say much. Not having DAB here I'm pretty much unfamiliar with it. Any chance you could post more details of the converter? I'm sure it'll help some other poor soul going through this.

Glad you got it working though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

itschad (01-12-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    First I've heard of it but that doesn't say much. Not having DAB here I'm pretty much unfamiliar with it. Any chance you could post more details of the converter? I'm sure it'll help some other poor soul going through this.

Glad you got it working though.
    The Pioneer unit is not, apparently, compatible with the Mirage's DAB+ radio hence that God awful looking stuck on aerial to the passenger side windshield. They tried two of those aerials but neither worked. Tom suggested a converter (I really don't know what is was called unfortunately) I saw the package and just about 2 metres of wiring with a gold connector that uses the Mirage's DAB aerial. Other than that Eggman I couldn't comment as I'm clueless.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-12-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What's a DAB aerial? I'm an idiot....
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    DAB stands for Digital Audio Broadcasting and, as the name suggests, is a way of broadcasting radio digitally rather than via an analogue signal (the signal transmitted for FM/AM radio).Aug 15, 2019

I looked it up myself not all that long ago.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    DAB is Digital Audio Broadcast which is standard in the Mirage here. The sound from the Mickey Mouse standard speakers are terrific. I'm sure standard on the Mirage here is DAB+, Lord only knows what the + does differently.
    Do you not get DAB over there?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    DAB is Digital Audio Broadcast which is standard in the Mirage here. The sound from the Mickey Mouse standard speakers are terrific. I'm sure standard on the Mirage here is DAB+, Lord only knows what the + does differently.
    Do you not get DAB over there?
    Nope. No DAB for any FM station I am aware of. I'm getting back into HAM after a 20 year absence and lol and behold there are digital HAM radios and repeaters But no digital commercial. Weird.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nope. No DAB for any FM station I am aware of. I'm getting back into HAM after a 20 year absence and lol and behold there are digital HAM radios and repeaters But no digital commercial. Weird.
    I think Canada has HD Radio like the US, but I could be wrong.

HD Radio is a very similar thing to DAB, but not compatible. All HD Radio stations also transmit in analog FM or AM, at least for the main station.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)