Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: CVT transmission is having issues shifting

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    El Cajon, CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    CVT transmission is having issues shifting

    Hi all,

    The car, 2014 Mirage ES is actually my daughters. It has had several issues... mostly self induced by said daughter. But on to the latest. The CVT trans is having issues shifting. The fluid is clean and full. The symptoms are it will up shift but quickly fall back to the lower setting, the action repeats - up/down, it starts at around 30 mph. I had the local parts house check for codes and there weren't any, (yes I know I should buy a reader of my own - any recommendations on a brand - model ?). Kind of at a loss at what to do next. Shop trips are costly and I'm hoping to avoid it if possible. Oh - the trans has 80K, engine has about 20k (self induced destruction of the original engine).

    Forums have been a great source of information in the past, hopefully my luck continues.

    Thanks guys.



  2. #2
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,778
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 744 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fred101 View Post
    Hi all,

    The car, 2014 Mirage ES is actually my daughters. It has had several issues... mostly self induced by said daughter. But on to the latest. The CVT trans is having issues shifting. The fluid is clean and full. The symptoms are it will up shift but quickly fall back to the lower setting, the action repeats - up/down, it starts at around 30 mph. I had the local parts house check for codes and there weren't any, (yes I know I should buy a reader of my own - any recommendations on a brand - model ?). Kind of at a loss at what to do next. Shop trips are costly and I'm hoping to avoid it if possible. Oh - the trans has 80K, engine has about 20k (self induced destruction of the original engine).

    Forums have been a great source of information in the past, hopefully my luck continues.

    Thanks guys.
    Welcome to the forum! If the filters haven't been changed then it would be prudent to change at least the upper filter which doesn't require a drain (you will lose a little with the volume of fluid in the filter itself). Also, print out this TSB and take to the dealer for a CVT repogram.

    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...e-Transmission

    Hopefully this will help.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.5 mpg (Imp)


  3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

    MetroMPG (01-16-2020)

  4. #3
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    682
    Thanked 247 Times in 206 Posts
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,215
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 686 Times in 553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!
    One thing about being a CVT owner - You'll never have to feel your pain alone! Dirk will always be there for you!!!!!

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

    MetroMPG (01-16-2020),poorman1 (01-14-2020)

  7. #5
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    682
    Thanked 247 Times in 206 Posts
    Im sure its fine the fluid looked good. Probably just needs a reflash. Funny though mine is original everything from 2014 and Ive yet to feel it underperform? Thoughts my cabal of wizardry?

  8. #6
    Senior Member Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Crack house
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    3,369
    Thanks
    1,357
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Unless you have a decent scanner you won't pull codes for the transmission computer. You could have some stored and no engine light. Basically no scanner/code reader that only reads obdII codes will be of any help. Unless you get something between $500-1000.

    Does the car shift up and down all the time at all different speeds? Mine is kinda all over the place on the freeway around 50mph and doesn't want to up shift to drop rpm until it's good and warm which usually takes 20 mins in our ****ty weather.

    Do you not have any powertrain warranty?
    Quote Originally Posted by fred101 View Post
    Pardon me Mr. Fummins

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)


  9. #7
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    682
    Thanked 247 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Unless you have a decent scanner you won't pull codes for the transmission computer. You could have some stored and no engine light. Basically no scanner/code reader that only reads obdII codes will be of any help. Unless you get something between $500-1000.

    Does the car shift up and down all the time at all different speeds? Mine is kinda all over the place on the freeway around 50mph and doesn't want to up shift to drop rpm until it's good and warm which usually takes 20 mins in our ****ty weather.

    Do you not have any powertrain warranty?
    Fummins!!! Your back!!! Thank the Gods! I was quivering buck naked in the fetal position, in the cold dark woods, fearing we'd never hear from you again!

  10. #8
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    682
    Thanked 247 Times in 206 Posts
    Lets get an update amigo.

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,215
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 686 Times in 553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Fummins!!! Your back!!! Thank the Gods! I was quivering buck naked in the fetal position, in the cold dark woods, fearing we'd never hear from you again!
    Glad you didn't include a pic of that!

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

    Dirk Diggler (01-15-2020),Fummins (01-15-2020)

  13. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,164
    Thanks
    471
    Thanked 353 Times in 237 Posts
    I want to know how the original engine was destroyed in 20k miles. Do tell please.



  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

    Fummins (01-15-2020)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •