Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Bezos donated .20 cents usd to the Australian wildfires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    If you want to swing by I'll give you some cash for your cause. My brother in law and grandfather have MS.

And you're using the word Hypocrite poorly in your statement as it's not really fitting.

Also, we have donated a lot more than .20 cents and we also pay federal income taxes.
    Sorry to hear about your family being affected by MS. I suppose I could have used better words and I certainly am not a Jeff Bezos fan boy, but I've just never understood criticizing others for what they do with their money.

Lots of people give to others without expecting a single bit of publicity. I wouldn't doubt that being the case with many celebrities.

I pay federal income taxes too. Do a google search for Jeff Bezo's income tax rate and all you get is articles talking about Amazon not paying federal income tax.

Do a search for Jeff Bezo's charitable giving and you find out that he is one of the top two philanthropists in the world, totaling over $2 billion dollars in donations.

Guess what? Charitable donations are tax deductible. When you give that much money, you usually don't have much of a federal income tax bill.

Personally, if I was in his position I would rather give my hard earned money to charities than the government as well. But lets keep saying he only gave 20 cents to one of many charities he supports.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    How does one give 1/5 of a cent?
    Its that common core math.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (01-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Sorry to hear about your family being affected by MS. I suppose I could have used better words and I certainly am not a Jeff Bezos fan boy, but I've just never understood criticizing others for what they do with their money.

Lots of people give to others without expecting a single bit of publicity. I wouldn't doubt that being the case with many celebrities.

I pay federal income taxes too. Do a google search for Jeff Bezo's income tax rate and all you get is articles talking about Amazon not paying federal income tax.

Do a search for Jeff Bezo's charitable giving and you find out that he is one of the top two philanthropists in the world, totaling over $2 billion dollars in donations.

Guess what? Charitable donations are tax deductible. When you give that much money, you usually don't have much of a federal income tax bill.

Personally, if I was in his position I would rather give my hard earned money to charities than the government as well. But lets keep saying he only gave 20 cents to one of many charities he supports.
    That's what I was insinuating, Amazon has not paid federal taxes the last two years
    Last year their net profit was over 11 billion.
    But I do order from Amazon on occasion. I like the ease of ordering on Amazon but do think they should be paying a tax rate commensurate with their earnings.

I was posting the article more for the fact that 690k of his money is equivalent to 20 cents for a guy pulling in 36k. Obviously 690k does a lot more to help the cause than 20 cents, but it's still worth a chuckle. Don't take things to seriously.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    One thing Bezos could do is actually pay his employees a living wage, with benefits and not do the 39 hours a week to avoid it. Im proud to live in a capitalist society but as with anything theyre should be a balance with morals. Im tired of watching my poor patients be effectively handed a death sentence because they have no insurance or bad insurance. Ive watched indigent patients in need of renal therapy have door after door be closed on them, forcing to go 3 hours to find dialysis.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Pryme (01-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I was posting the article more for the fact that 690k of his money is equivalent to 20 cents for a guy pulling in 36k. Obviously 690k does a lot more to help the cause than 20 cents, but it's still worth a chuckle. Don't take things to seriously.
    Please let us know how many pennies Jeff Bezo’s $2 billion dollars in charitable are worth to you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Please let us know how many pennies Jeff Bezo’s $2 billion dollars in charitable are worth to you.
    His charity is for the benefit of his pocketbook compadre. And his own personal charity has nothing to do with Amazon not paying any federal income tax due to loopholes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    His charity is for the benefit of his pocketbook compadre. And his own personal charity has nothing to do with Amazon not paying any federal income tax due to loopholes.
    I’ve never understood that mindset. You do realize that donating $2 billion dollars just to save $500k of income taxes makes zero sense?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Still waiting for your math regarding $2 Billion dollars though. If you are going to make fun of one donation you need to make fun of all of them.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to billionaires. When Bill Gates does it, people praise him, when Bezos does it, people hate him.

From my understanding he donates to multiple causes at the same time. It wouldn't make sense to give too much money to the Australians as 1. they won't need that much or 2. there'd be lots of waste. Government organizations have essentially unlimited money supply subsided by taxation and that's why they have lots of waste.

The best example I can think of a lot of money but no effect is the Red Cross in Haiti. All those billions of dollars and they didn't even do anything.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Welcome to billionaires. When Bill Gates does it, people praise him, when Bezos does it, people hate him.

From my understanding he donates to multiple causes at the same time. It wouldn't make sense to give too much money to the Australians as 1. they won't need that much or 2. there'd be lots of waste. Government organizations have essentially unlimited money supply subsided by taxation and that's why they have lots of waste.

The best example I can think of a lot of money but no effect is the Red Cross in Haiti. All those billions of dollars and they didn't even do anything.
    Amen regarding the Red Cross. After seeing their joke of a response to the flooding we had back in 2016, I will never give the Red Cross another cent of my money.

For natural disasters your money is much better donated to most church relief efforts, even if you don’t have the same beliefs.