Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter weather report please

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Lol! Yeah, this video pretty much describes every forecast around here from December to February. Endless predictions of 'snowpocalypse'. You will have to go to YouTube to watch it.

Last edited by Cobrajet; 01-16-2020 at 07:46 AM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Meh, funny but the best Canadian sketch show by far was Kids in the Hall by far, then SCTV with Rick Moranis, John Candy, Martin Short. Canada's greatest export is its comedians.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    70 degrees here in the ATL yesterday. We're offically Florida now, we used to have actual seasons! We had 90 straight days of over 100° heat last summer, with high humidity. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and my power bill per month is usually over $175 a month because of the AC. Violent crime skyrockets during a heatwave here too. For 8 months out of the year Atlanta feels like hell. People dying from heatstroke in their beds, with fans on because they dont have AC is a real thing here. The highways literally melt/bleed tar. Because of the heat the bugs get gigantic. I had a roach land on my remote and actually change the channel. They're every where here, we call them palmetto bugs to sound prettier, but its a roach. The Mirage AC usually works good but there are days when it cant keep up with the heat at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    70 degrees here in the ATL yesterday. We're offically Florida now, we used to have actual seasons! We had 90 straight days of over 100° heat last summer, with high humidity. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and my power bill per month is usually over $175 a month because of the AC. Violent crime skyrockets during a heatwave here too. For 8 months out of the year Atlanta feels like hell. People dying from heatstroke in their beds, with fans on because they dont have AC is a real thing here. The highways literally melt/bleed tar. Because of the heat the bugs get gigantic. I had a roach land on my remote and actually change the channel. They're every where here, we call them palmetto bugs to sound prettier, but its a roach. The Mirage AC usually works good but there are days when it cant keep up with the heat at all.
    I loled at the bug changing the channel

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-16-2020)

^ So did I!

Weird winter here, too. So far NOVEMBER was the coldest month. Then yo-yo warm/cold.

I've managed to get snowboarding twice, x-c skiing 5 times in December. But only because I went the day of/day after it snowed. Then the snow melted each time.

I love to skate the Rideau Canal in Ottawa a couple of times each winter --- world's longest skating rink? This is its 50th anniversary year and it still doesn't have enough ice yet.

Maybe next week? Maybe?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Meh, funny but the best Canadian sketch show by far was Kids in the Hall by far, then SCTV with Rick Moranis, John Candy, Martin Short. Canada's greatest export is its comedians.
    Many a night was spent in the old Firehall LMFAO, I'd laugh so hard I'd puke. Per capita IMO Canada exports more talent than other country.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-18-2020),Fummins (01-17-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Other than a couple of intense late fall storms there's been no winter here in Niagara for 2019/2020 so far.

2017/2018 was a normal winter, usual levels of snowfall, temps cold enough to keep it from melting.
    2018/2019 was a gentler winter, the snow and cold temps started and stopped as expected just not as much.
    2019/2020 so far....off the charts in every possible way

The temps are great!, generally above freezing almost every day. If it snows it melts the same day. I've seen odd weather before but nothing even remotely close to this.

What's been the winter weather trends in your area? Normal, colder or warmer?
    The worst winter drive so far this season tonight. Drive home here in southern Ontario, the roads were pretty awful, but I can hear the snow plows go through town right now. I guess it all could be worse.

Manual makes things safer in bad weather conditions with the Mirage. 2nd gear where I would be in 3rd usually.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Winter has brought some snow, soon to turn to ice.

My drive in to work was early enough that there were very few other drivers out. I usually worry more about the other drivers than my own driving.

Speck did just fine, though I slipped and slid around more than I wanted. In fact one traffic signal turned yellow as I was approaching the intersection. I tried to come to a stop but the antilock braking activated and there was no way I was going to stop in time so I rolled through. I was going too fast to be able to stop in time. Can't blame the Mirage for that.

The Mirage is fine in snow but not magical that's for sure!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Winter's here!

Since you started this thread, we've got a foot of snow and have had 2 nights below -20C / 0F.

I got the Mirage stuck* trying to go up my friends' unplowed driveway yesterday to check on their place while they're away. Had to get out their snowblower to clear an escape path.

* Part of this may be because my Mirage has a snow plow attachment:

I should also add: it's got snow tires on it with decent tread depth.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Geez, it's in the 50's here today. Going to my usual Monday night car-guy dinner hang-out where we traditionally sit on the covered patio. I may have to wear socks.

This weather is ridiculous.

Simplify and add lightness.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-20-2020)