Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter weather report please

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Winter weather report please

Other than a couple of intense late fall storms there's been no winter here in Niagara for 2019/2020 so far.

2017/2018 was a normal winter, usual levels of snowfall, temps cold enough to keep it from melting.
    2018/2019 was a gentler winter, the snow and cold temps started and stopped as expected just not as much.
    2019/2020 so far....off the charts in every possible way

The temps are great!, generally above freezing almost every day. If it snows it melts the same day. I've seen odd weather before but nothing even remotely close to this.

What's been the winter weather trends in your area? Normal, colder or warmer?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Sort of unusual. A very dry November...the third driest on record. Typical December, meaning 40-45 degrees and raining. Generally cold, wet January...so far. We just got a dusting of snow.

Last year was pretty much the same until early February. Then we got SOCKED with snow. Snow basically shuts down the entire area.

As I mentioned, we got a dusting of it last night. School for my nieces was canceled. Other than the weirdly dry November, it is a pretty typical winter here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    This winter, temperatures are well above normal here in Northeast Ohio with little snow and certainly none sticking. I don't think there's any ice on the lake. (Lake Erie that is. I've been called aquacentric.)

In the middle of January, that's unusual. It cuts into skiing, sledding, and ice fishing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very weak winter here in NE Wisconsin. A few small snow falls but nothing serious. I've used my snow blower twice, possibly 3 times and no snow over 4" so far.

There are people ice fishing this week but they have to walk out, not even close to being able to drive out currently.
    If it doesnt get really cold soon to put some real ice on the lakes this years Sturgeon spearing season could be a bad one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think we had a day and a half of winter a few weeks ago. Down in the 50's. It was freakin' cold!

Looking at a high of 78 today. It's been a warmish winter so far.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Weather was great here. Been pretty mild for the most part this winter, nicer than last year. Coldest it got was probably-25c.

Now it sucks a s s. -43c/-45f (-53c -63.4F windchill). Been freezing my sack off trying to get everything running every morning this week. Managed to freeze a hot water pipe in my house somehow.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Weather was great here. Been pretty mild for the most part this winter, nicer than last year. Coldest it got was probably-25c.

Now it sucks a s s. -43c/-45f (-53c -63.4F windchill). Been freezing my sack off trying to get everything running every morning this week. Managed to freeze a hot water pipe in my house somehow.
    -45 F is insane. That's as cold as I've ever experienced. Only got to -28 last year without windchill and that was enough.
    -45 is when ppl leave their cars running while in stores, restaurants etc.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Winters like this make me wish I hadn't put on snow tires.

But if I don't put on the snows or if I take them off I'm sure to be punished for it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A year ago was the last 15 degree day before we started our two increasingly chilly weeks which had a pinnacle of -25 or so. I remember a few years ago we once had like -15 with sufficient wind to have a wind chill of -50. I biked 7.5 miles to work at that time, I seriously considered hiding somewhere to sleep and not going home, lol. Hard to Imagine -45 being a normal thing.

Been mild temperatures, probably got 10 inches of snow from 10/30 to 11/5, and have maybe doubled that total since. Had a heat wave in the end of december, hit 60 for a single afternoon if I remember right.

So much for seeing how an extra 6/32nds of tire tread helps in winter driving... Though it may have already saved me from a crash back in early november.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (01-16-2020)