Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mirage won't turn over sometimes (Not Battery)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Exclamation 2015 Mirage won't turn over sometimes (Not Battery)

My girlfriends Mirage has a lot of issues. We recently replaced bent rims and tires because the steering wheel was shaking only to find out that the steering wheel still shakes above 60mph. Now we're running into some new issues. Sometimes the car turns on, sometimes it won't. The battery has been tested at AutoZone and is only 5 months old, they said it's not the battery (We live in Florida). Last night the car wouldn't turn on. I tried to jump it but wouldn't turn on even after 15 min of trying. This morning the car turns on without fault....I'm thinking it could be the starter or some type of starter relay. The car has really bad electrical and constantly blows fuses so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a relay, but it could be the starter.

Does anyone know where the starter is located? I haven't been able to find any documentation online.

Anyone else have a shaking steering wheel past 60mph?

Anyone have similar issues with car turning on only sometimes?

Last edited by MetroMPG; 01-16-2020 at 03:41 PM. Reason: (clarified title)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emilio View Post
    My girlfriends Mirage has a lot of issues. We recently replaced bent rims and tires because the steering wheel was shaking only to find out that the steering wheel still shakes above 60mph. Now we're running into some new issues. Sometimes the car turns on, sometimes it won't. The battery has been tested at AutoZone and is only 5 months old, they said it's not the battery (We live in Florida). Last night the car wouldn't turn on. I tried to jump it but wouldn't turn on even after 15 min of trying. This morning the car turns on without fault....I'm thinking it could be the starter or some type of starter relay. The car has really bad electrical and constantly blows fuses so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a relay, but it could be the starter.

Does anyone know where the starter is located? I haven't been able to find any documentation online.

Anyone else have a shaking steering wheel past 60mph?

Anyone have similar issues with car turning on only sometimes?
    I would suspect that you have corrosion in the wiring connectors underneath the driver's left foot. There was a recall for this issue. Have you had the recall completed? This has been a issue in wetter climates. I'd start there first.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Need more info.
    But I'll try to help anyways.
    To be clear when the car doesn't start does the starter do anything?
    If if cranks is it just really slow?
    Does the engine turn over at all, can you hear the starter solenoid click at all?
    Is the car a 5 speed or cvt? Does it use a regular key or push button start?
    If 5spd, is a floormat jammed up behind the clutch pedal?
    Iirc we had a few 2017's not start one winter, towed them to the dealer and they replaced a relay or two under the hood. Or so the dealer said.
    I've replaced a few starters over the years, but our cars are started dozens of times a day so will/should wear faster than normal.
    You could try tapping on the starter while someone tries to start it. Don't go to crazy and hit it hard enough to smash the case.

The starter is at the front of the engine at the bottom, behind a little metal curved skid plate looking thing. Need 12,10 mm and maybe a 14mm to remove. Unhook battery first unless you like amature welding or burning your car down. Ideally just remove the negative post. No need to pull the positive, plus negative cable is easier to remove.

For the shake at 60, the cheap and easy thing to try is rotate your tires front to back then see if shake goes away or moves to the back? If not your rotors are likely insanely warped, caused by either driver or sticking brakes.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emilio View Post
    Sometimes the car turns on, sometimes it won't.
    Last night the car wouldn't turn on. I tried to jump it but wouldn't turn on even after 15 min of trying.
    Is this a push-button start or do you have an ignition switch with a key?

Fummins beat me to it...lol. When you say the car "won't turn on"...what does that mean?
    In other words...you turn the key (or push the start button) to start the car and what happens?

1. Nothing happens. No dash lights turn on, no clicking or other noises from the starter, no warning lights on the dash flashing, etc.
    2. The dash lights come on normally but the starter makes absolutely no noise
    3. The dash lights come on normally but the starter only makes a clicking noise...but it won't turn the engine over

Edit - Fummins beat me to it.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-15-2020 at 06:52 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I would suspect that you have corrosion in the wiring connectors underneath the driver's left foot. There was a recall for this issue. Have you had the recall completed? This has been a issue in wetter climates. I'd start there first.
    That's a good question. I would suspect that she hasn't done that so I will take the car in to get that fixed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Need more info.
    But I'll try to help anyways.
    To be clear when the car doesn't start does the starter do anything?
    If if cranks is it just really slow?
    Does the engine turn over at all, can you hear the starter solenoid click at all?
    Is the car a 5 speed or cvt? Does it use a regular key or push button start?
    If 5spd, is a floormat jammed up behind the clutch pedal?
    Iirc we had a few 2017's not start one winter, towed them to the dealer and they replaced a relay or two under the hood. Or so the dealer said.
    I've replaced a few starters over the years, but our cars are started dozens of times a day so will/should wear faster than normal.
    You could try tapping on the starter while someone tries to start it. Don't go to crazy and hit it hard enough to smash the case.

The starter is at the front of the engine at the bottom, behind a little metal curved skid plate looking thing. Need 12,10 mm and maybe a 14mm to remove. Unhook battery first unless you like amature welding or burning your car down. Ideally just remove the negative post. No need to pull the positive, plus negative cable is easier to remove.

For the shake at 60, the cheap and easy thing to try is rotate your tires front to back then see if shake goes away or moves to the back? If not your rotors are likely insanely warped, caused by either driver or sticking brakes.
    This is a key ignition automatic and all lights, radio, and fan work just like normal when we try to start it. There is a slight clicking sound we can hear from the fuse box in the engine compartment but the car doesn't turn on. Let me see if I can record a video after I put the starter back in, thanks for your comments by the way. Found starter!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks like the starter is not the problem: https://youtu.be/pi9qMC0Bvis

neat. So starter works on the bench but not in the car. Check for power at the little wire that goes to the starter while trying to crank.
    And just for sharts, jump the starter while it's in the car. If it doesn't crank then you've got a battery cable problem. Or your battery or starter is junk. I assume your battery was load tested, not just put a volt meter on it?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Is this a push-button start or do you have an ignition switch with a key?

Fummins beat me to it...lol. When you say the car "won't turn on"...what does that mean?
    In other words...you turn the key (or push the start button) to start the car and what happens?

1. Nothing happens. No dash lights turn on, no clicking or other noises from the starter, no warning lights on the dash flashing, etc.
    2. The dash lights come on normally but the starter makes absolutely no noise
    3. The dash lights come on normally but the starter only makes a clicking noise...but it won't turn the engine over

Edit - Fummins beat me to it.
    Number 3 - The dash lights come on normally but the starter only makes a clicking noise...but it won't turn the engine over

Looks like car started back up as soon as I put the starter back. Things I'll need to check for tomorrow when this car inevitably won't start again.

1) Recall - corrosion in the wiring connectors underneath the driver's left foot
    2) Extensive battery tests, not just voltage test.
    3) Check for power at the little wire that goes to the starter while trying to crank.

For the steering wheel shaking at 60mph+ could it be the struts? Tires are brand new as well as rotors/pads...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The battery was not load tested so we should also look into this as well as checking the power of wire that goes to the starter.

Thanks for these suggestions!