Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage sedan losing power

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mirage sedan losing power

Hi guys.

Im new to this forum. I own a 2016 mirage sedan and noticed that my car is losing power. Everytime im in 2nd gear it doesnt reach the redline and stays at around 5k rpm and doesnt go any further. I do autocross and circuits as well so it is important for me to reach the full capacity of the car.

This is an on and off situation and ive been coming back and forth to my trusted mechanic but it seems they cannot pin point the main cause. If someone had experience the same thing please let me know.

As of the moment we have tried to replace the following to isolate the cause.

Sparkplugs
    Gas tank was cleaned
    Fuelpump motor was replaced
    Fuel injectors cleaned
    Throttle body cleaned
    Clutch assembly replaced

The mods that i have are just headers and air intake.

Last edited by kezocraze; 01-19-2020 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Gramatical error

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kezocraze View Post
    Hi guys.

Im new to this forum. I own a 2016 mirage sedan and noticed that my car is losing power. Everytime im in 2nd gear it doesnt reach the redline and stays at around 5k rpm and doesnt go any further. I do autocross and circuits as well so it is important for me to reach the full capacity of the car.

This is an on and off situation and ive been coming back and forth to my trusted mechanic but it seems they cannot pin point the main cause. If someone had experience the same thing please let me know.

As of the moment we have tried to replace the following to isolate the cause.

Sparkplugs
    Gas tank was cleaned
    Fuelpump motor was replaced
    Fuel injectors cleaned
    Throttle body cleaned
    Clutch assembly replaced

The mods that i have are just headers and air intake.
    Hello kezocraze and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your Mirage has had a hard life. Not many get raced here. Have you or your mechanic checked the compression of your engine?

I understand there is a significant Mirage community in the Philippines. Have any local groups offered any insights or advice?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Mitz (01-19-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Bit of an old post but since almost nobody has commented yet...

It's been raced moderately hard, and by the sounds of it probably has no had the easiest life. If it's done more AutoX and track days than it has spent time cruising on the highway, it's incredibly likely that the engine is just... done.

I'm with Eggman, sounds like it's losing compression, misfiring, or a host of other possible options, all of which your dealer should have codes set for to make the diagnosis go a lot quicker. Here in Canada the engine has a 10 year 160,000km warranty, I assume it's not the same for you?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hi guys thanks for all the reply. I finally found the culprit and the car is running great again and is lined up to a couple of race event for the next couple of months.

Well, wth was wrong with it eh? Ps, do you take it off any sweet jumps?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I would like to apologize in advance for the F word that i will use with this and how will this sound so stupid. The problem is the f*****g airfilter. I bought those washable one and keep on using a low powered airblower and didnt think that it was powerful enough to blow of all the dirt in it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kezocraze View Post
    The problem is the f*****g airfilter. I bought those washable one and keep on using a low powered airblower and didnt think that it was powerful enough to blow of all the dirt in it.
    I don't understand - you're upset that the air filter is capturing (filtering) dirt? I thought that's what it is designed for.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hi eggman, the problem was that the airfilter was so dirty the engine cant breathe anymore. I bought a washable airfilter that you can just blow dirt off and reuse it but the problem was im just using a low powered airblower to clean it and it wasnt cleaning properly.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kezocraze For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice. Thanks for updating us.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Well, wth was wrong with it eh? Ps, do you take it off any sweet jumps?

I saw him get like 3 feet of air one time....