Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 U.S. Small Car Sales

Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Surely there is a smaller segment that the Toyota/Scion iQ, the Smart, and maybe the Fiat 500 belong to?
    I was gonna say those cars belong in the "I don't wan't to get hit by a truck category". Then I found this pic of what looks like a full size pickup Attachment 16875 And he survived. It doesn't matter what you drive, nothing is crumple proof. https://abc7.com/481039/

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Smart is discontinued.
    iQ is discontinued.
    Fiat 500 will be discontinued for 2020.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Smart is discontinued.
    iQ is discontinued.
    If the iQ weren't discontinued when I bought my Mirage, I probably would have bought another. There's something about a car that's only 10 feet long...

So...I guess you have to import a kei car from Japan if you want something in that size range...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Smart is discontinued.
    iQ is discontinued.
    In my opinion, the Mirage competition has been reduced to the Chevy Spark in the States.

Cars like the Hyundai Accent, KIA RIO/Soul, Honda Fit, & Toyota Yaris are a step up in size, power, & price. I feel these cars warrant a higher price tag, because they are slightly nicer vehicles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    If the iQ weren't discontinued when I bought my Mirage, I probably would have bought another. There's something about a car that's only 10 feet long...
    I'd take the powertrain (78 hp) of the larger Mirage (37 city/43 highway mpg) over the powertrain (94 hp) of the smaller Scion iQ (36 city/37 highway mpg).

I am not saying the iQ is a bad car. Looking at the prices of used iQ cars wouldn't pull me away from buying a used Mirage either. The lack of a manual transmission would be the ultimate iQ deal breaker for me, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the iQ had been sold with a manual transmission, I would've had one.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well, 2019 is done, all the reporting is in. Here's how the U.S. market shook out in terms of small vehicle sales.

Just a couple cliff notes:
    • General Motors sold a LOT of small cars.
    • The Chevy Spark outsold the Mirage by over 4,000 units as sales were up 32.5%
    • The entire Fiat lineup is at the bottom. Will the brand leave North America?
    • Ford's Fiesta had its best year since 2015, and 2019 was its last.

Full story:
    https://www.subcompactculture.com/20...s-summary.html
    Almost 230,000 Buick Enclave / Chevy Trax clone mini-CUV's sold in the USA in 2019.

These GM cars sold almost a quarter million units in 2019. The Mirage sold 27,000 or so. Then here in Canada say a 10x smaller market overall and the Mirage probably sells like 3000 Mirages in all of Canada. And that's being generous.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's always interesting to me to see how different the U.S. and Canadian markets are. Like, the U.S. doesn't even get the Micra.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Almost 230,000 Buick Enclave / Chevy Trax clone mini-CUV's sold in the USA in 2019.

These GM cars sold almost a quarter million units in 2019. The Mirage sold 27,000 or so. Then here in Canada say a 10x smaller market overall and the Mirage probably sells like 3000 Mirages in all of Canada. And that's being generous.
    The sales of these GM vehicles is why I am somewhat critical of Mitsubishi wedging their new Eclipse Cross between two SUVs they already had on the U.S. market.

Outlander = 40,775 vehicles sold (down about 1000 from 2018)
    Eclipse Cross = 19,661 " (appeared during 2018)
    Outlander Sport = 33,644 " (down about 5,500 from 2018)

There's nothing really special about the Eclipse Cross, and it reminds me of a Pontiac Aztek (considered one of the 10 ugliest vehicles of all time by some) ever time I see one!

I'm not convinced the new Eclipse Cross had drawn in many new Mitsubishi customers. It may have taken some sales away from their other two SUV models, however. If so, I don't consider that wise marketing!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'd take the powertrain (78 hp) of the larger Mirage (37 city/43 highway mpg) over the powertrain (94 hp) of the smaller Scion iQ (36 city/37 highway mpg).

I am not saying the iQ is a bad car. Looking at the prices of used iQ cars wouldn't pull me away from buying a used Mirage either. The lack of a manual transmission would be the ultimate iQ deal breaker for me, however.

To be fair, the iQ was the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid until the Mirage.

The CVT was actually part of the draw to the iQ for me. The iQ CVT is not geared for freeway driving like the Mirage, but I think it was actually better for in-town driving - more power meant more fuel, but you also could get more acceleration with less throttle, so the iQ was a bit more efficient with streetlight acceleration/deceleration. The iQ CVT is also slightly more refined than the Mirage's.

The iQ has a direct injection engine, and has a service bulletin for basically an engine clean/rebuild with the appropriate ODB2 code, and mine once threw its accessory belt - so the Mirage wins there.

The Mirage is much better on the freeway with its CVT gearing, though I feel like headwinds are more of an issue in the Mirage, because you have to use more throttle to compensate for the lower power.

Even with the CVT, the short wheelbase of the iQ made it a fun little ride. I've enjoyed both cars, really.

...and I've never driven a manual, so okay Boomer :P

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)