Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 U.S. Small Car Sales

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    The Mirage is much better on the freeway with its CVT gearing, though I feel like headwinds are more of an issue in the Mirage, because you have to use more throttle to compensate for the lower power.

Even with the CVT, the short wheelbase of the iQ made it a fun little ride. I've enjoyed both cars, really.

...and I've never driven a manual, so okay Boomer :P

You're missing out so much, never having driven a manual. Sounds cheesy but it's the whole Lotus formula of being one with the machinery, and the simpler the better.

That said, apparently 98% of new cars sold these days are autos. I personally couldn't imagine driving my Mirage with an auto.

I'm 37, so in between late Millenial generation and Gen X, and my first car was an '85 Rabbit with 5 speed manual.

I'm doing the Ferrari experience in the Spring, and that's the one time ironically I chose automatic. Same with my rental vehicle when I drove across Alberta last spring. I just don't want to break anything that I don't own. Even though I drive my manual Mirage every single day for 6 years now. I'm being a baby.

Last edited by dspace9; 01-24-2020 at 05:45 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The sales of these GM vehicles is why I am somewhat critical of Mitsubishi wedging their new Eclipse Cross between two SUVs they already had on the U.S. market.

Outlander = 40,775 vehicles sold (down about 1000 from 2018)
    Eclipse Cross = 19,661 " (appeared during 2018)
    Outlander Sport = 33,644 " (down about 5,500 from 2018)

There's nothing really special about the Eclipse Cross, and it reminds me of a Pontiac Aztek (considered one of the 10 ugliest vehicles of all time by some) ever time I see one!

I'm not convinced the new Eclipse Cross had drawn in many new Mitsubishi customers. It may have taken some sales away from their other two SUV models, however. If so, I don't consider that wise marketing!
    The Eclipse Cross looks a bit like the Urus, the new Lamborghini SUV. I know that's a funny comparison, but it's true.

The super edgy styling all-around. That's where the comparison ends, but look at it this way. Another really edgy vehicle, new very edgy Lexus SUV's, look less like a Urus than the Eclipse Cross.

I have sat in a few Eclipse Cross'es at the Mitsubishi dealer near me, and the rear visibility is really poor. I'm sure the Pontiac Aztek had the same sight problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The Eclipse Cross looks a bit like the Urus, the new Lamborghini SUV. I know that's a funny comparison, but it's true.

The super edgy styling all-around. That's where the comparison ends, but look at it this way. Another really edgy vehicle, new very edgy Lexus SUV's, look less like a Urus than the Eclipse Cross.

I have sat in a few Eclipse Cross'es at the Mitsubishi dealer near me, and the rear visibility is really poor. I'm sure the Pontiac Aztek had the same sight problems.
    I've been in a Mitsubishi showroom once (recall being done on my Mirage) since the Eclipse Crossover came out. I sat in the Outlander Sport and Outlander. I didn't even bother to sit in the Eclipse Cross. The Eclipse Cross doesn't even compete well with the larger, heavier Outlander other than it may be cheaper depending on discounts being offered at a given time.

Eclipse Cross has a 1.5L turbo that cranks out 152 hp. MPG is 25/28/26 (city/highway/combined).
    Outlander has a 2.4L (also 3.0L) non-turbo that cranks out 166 hp. MPG is 25/30/27 (city/highway/combined).

The 3.0L Outlander has substantially lower MPG, but it also has a 6-speed automatic transmission & 3,500 pound towing capacity.

The look & numbers for the Eclipse Cross don't do much for me, & its low sales seem to indicate the same for others maybe?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The look & numbers for the Eclipse Cross don't do much for me, & its low sales seem to indicate the same for others maybe?
    You make very good points about the Outlander. Great V6 highway fuel economy, and real towing power. I know the new Ford Escape SUV has a 1.3 L Turbo 3 apparently. I sat in one a month ago since I get my own Mirage serviced at the local Ford dealer now. Mitsubishi dealer only for warranty work. Anyway I have noticed that lots of suv's are going the small motor with a turbo direction.

Anyway I like the interiors of new Outlanders, with that sort of plaid style in the seats and doors. Looks rich. The only thing to note about the Eclipse Cross on the inside is... not that much leg room. People aren't as tall in Japan? The other thing is the small touch pad for the screen is different, has like 4 points and you can click the whole "big button".

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'd go with the Outlander Sport if I had to choose between the 3 SUVs. Proven reliability, sharp styling, it doesnt look bloated like the big Outlander and has better rear visibility than the Eclipse Cross. I see more and more Sports all the time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'd go with the Outlander Sport if I had to choose between the 3 SUVs. Proven reliability, sharp styling, it doesnt look bloated like the big Outlander and has better rear visibility than the Eclipse Cross. I see more and more Sports all the time.
    I love my Outlander Sport! With the 5 speed it’s great to drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I love my Outlander Sport! With the 5 speed itÂ’s great to drive.
    Since we are completely off topic of U.S. small cars, I will go all the way.

If I was marketing Mitsubishi SUVs in North America, I would totally scrap the Eclipse Cross and the Outlander. If you love those two vehicles, I apologize. There is nothing wrong any of them, but they are way to much alike. It's not good marketing.

I would offer a -

Mitsubishi Montero type SUV - These were body on frame SUVs that could tow 5,000 pounds. Some people want a rugged vehicle. If I am going to own a SUV, it should be able to tow a boat, camper, or a trailer load of firewood. Bring this vehicle back!!!!! Make it like the old Isuzu Trooper, but more dependable! Keep it relatively simple in design (non-turbo engine & offer a cheaper AWD manual option) and undercut the Toyota 4Runner by $10,000-15,000. If this was done, Mitsubishi would bring new customers into their showrooms.

Blend the Outlander and Eclipse Cross into one nice mid-size SUV, & make it capable of towing 2,500 pounds minimum.

Of the three present SUVs, I like the Outlander Sport the most. If I was rearranging the line up, however, I would keep the Outlander Sport small. Don't let it evolve into a larger SUV. It should be cheaper & get better mpg than the next step up. These are SUVs for people who really don't need an SUV, but think they do. Raised station wagons!

If Mitsubishi really wanted to make a splash in North America & be more noticed, they would build a small pickup truck here, too. Once again, offer something that undercuts the new Jeep Renegade and Ford Ranger by $10,000 - $20,000 in price.

If this line up appeared in the U.S., more people would be searching for Mitsubishi dealerships. Who knows, it may even help more people discover our little Mirage!

I am not impressed with Mitsubishi's present line up of vehicles. It could be much better in my opinion. Most of all, keep Nissan out of the equation, because their present reputation stinks! Their dealers aren't even happy with their own brand right now, & that's sad!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I love my Outlander Sport! With the 5 speed it’s great to drive.
    Same here. I'm very happy with mine as well... I just wish I could have bought an SE with a manual... I like heated seats and satellite radio lol.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...