Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you're a Mirage owner/driver when...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Try 2018. Same setup.
    Right on. You have the upgraded horsepower, and the newer grille. In between those years I think there were tweaks to the suspension also.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Funny. Yet I still saw them during my visit in London so someone likes Skodas enough to buy them?
    Yes Skoda's are pretty good cars and do enjoy very high repeat customer levels. Most Private Hire taxi's use Skoda. These ads were commisioned by Skoda to tell people they are not what they used to be. Since VW took control of Skoda in the 90's things did improve but the dated Felicia was superceded by the Fabia which was and still is a fine car (I had four) if devoid of character. I had a 2014 Skoda Fabia Black Edition combi, 110 bhp from a 1.2 engine, a fine car.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    You know you're a Mirage owner when your bank account remains in credit because the Mirage is so cheap to run.

And

You know when you're a Mirage driver when after a 225 mile drive your legs have difficulty following the rest of you out of the car

And

You know when you're a Mirage driver when you have to make regular trips to your dentist to replace the filling that have fallen out.
    Last edited by itschad; 01-26-2020 at 06:15 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You know you’re a Mirage driver when you constantly catch yourself death-gripping the steering wheel on the interstate. It’s taken alot of practice to relax on the road with this car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to precisionxt For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-27-2020),timw4mail (01-27-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Yes Skoda's are pretty good cars and do enjoy very high repeat customer levels. Most Private Hire taxi's use Skoda. These ads were commisioned by Skoda to tell people they are not what they used to be. Since VW took control of Skoda in the 90's things did improve but the dated Felicia was superceded by the Fabia which was and still is a fine car (I had four) if devoid of character. I had a 2014 Skoda Fabia Black Edition combi, 110 bhp from a 1.2 engine, a fine car.
    Name:  23550-4.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  96.5 KB

One like this? That's a nice-looking car. Front grille looks BMW. The side looks Suzuki to me.

You can never go wrong with black paint colour on a car. Blacked out editions is even better. Black only improves any car's looks.

You have such a selection of subcompacts there in England. And a history of subcompacts like your Skoda's you're reminiscing about.

I would totally drive a car like that if they sold them in Canada, but we basically have gone the USA route with the car market. Not that many smaller cars for sale. Even Quebec where it's mostly French and they love subcompact cars more, they are now going more trucks and SUV's now too.
    Last edited by dspace9; 01-26-2020 at 03:59 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

itschad (01-26-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    You know you’re a Mirage driver when you constantly catch yourself death-gripping the steering wheel on the interstate. It’s taken alot of practice to relax on the road with this car.
    How long you had your car bruh? Lol, I kid. Im constantly on the highway, in a city known for driving like derelicts. Treat your Mirage like a motorcycle, constantly scanning in a defensive measure. You get used to it, pretty soon you dont even notice. All new cars have that break in period. My lil 2014 CVT DE scared me at first, on the freeway. Now? Not so much. You'll master being the turtle, like we all do. Turtle style is an unappreciative kung fu style, its like Ali's rope-a-dope, you'll win in the end driving an anime Kei-car.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    Ya Dirk is right here precisionxt, you gotta warm up to it. The Mirage's size is something I have accepted, and have never "gotten used to." Just drive proactively, to keep yourself out of situations. You should do that in all cars while you drive anyways. Keep your space and be seen. Other cars and trucks and not being seen is the issue with the Mirage's size on US style freeways and particularly busy US freeways.

I had a Lancer rental and an RVR rental in the past 2 years, (RVR = outlander sport in Canada) and their interiors did not feel that much bigger driving, but from the outside yes the Mirage is very small ...I can almost stretch my arms across the length. So take the heavy equipment trucker or motorcycle driver route, and always be extra precautious for bad things coming into play or view. Personally for traction too and speed I think the 5 speed manual helps

I do want to upgrade from my Mirage to a "better" car even though I love my Mirage 6 years going.
    Last edited by dspace9; 01-26-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Ya Dirk is right here precisionxt, you gotta warm up to it. The Mirage's size is something I have accepted, and have never "gotten used to." Just drive proactively, to keep yourself out of situations. You should do that in all cars while you drive anyways. Keep your space and be seen. Other cars and trucks and not being seen is the issue with the Mirage's size on US style freeways and particularly busy US freeways.
    In hindsight, I would have bought a brighter color rather than the dark gray Mirage that I have. I really like the looks of the dark gray, but visibility (being seen) is something to think about when driving a small car. I like all the color choices offered for the Mirage. Personally, I think the blue is sharp (pops out at you), & the orange is appealing to me, too. If someone gave me one of the other colors for free, I wouldn't refuse it.

I drove a 1990 Ford Festiva from 1990 to 2004. It was a color they called "pop yellow". I don't recall any close calls with that car. Even the deer seemed to avoid it! I called it my "sunshine car"! I would also joke that the most it could depreciate was $5,300, because that is what it cost new after a $1000 rebate offered by Ford at the time of purchase. It was cheap transportation at the time when our family sort of needed it.

Sadly, I only know a few people who drive small cars now. One couple I am close to have a Corolla and Prius, because they live a distance from town. They also own two Ford F150 pickup trucks. In their case, the trucks are justified. Along with their full time jobs in town, they raise beef cattle. Thus, they need a vehicle that will pull wagon loads of round bales, cattle trailers, & do whatever.

Ironically, the Mirage is considered a city car, but I feel super safe driving it around rural SW Wisconsin (country roads & small towns). Buzzing through the Fox Valley & Green Bay area @ 70 mph on the way to my parents is when I feel the least safe in a Mirage. It's those times, something a little more substantial would surely feel safer. Having owned motorcycles for years, the Mirage is still a big step up in safety.

As long as you don't pay to much for one, I feel the Mirage excels at being affordable, reliable, & economical. Other than the Chevy Spark, the competition is slowly disappearing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-26-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Name:  23550-4.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  96.5 KB

One like this? That's a nice-looking car. Front grille looks BMW. The side looks Suzuki to me.

You can never go wrong with black paint colour on a car. Blacked out editions is even better. Black only improves any car's looks.

You have such a selection of subcompacts there in England. And a history of subcompacts like your Skoda's you're reminiscing about.

I would totally drive a car like that if they sold them in Canada, but we basically have gone the USA route with the car market. Not that many smaller cars for sale. Even Quebec where it's mostly French and they love subcompact cars more, they are now going more trucks and SUV's now too.
    This is exactly what I had. 2014 Black Edition Monte Carlo. For a 1.2 it had legs and was comfortable. The Black Edition was a special edition launched in 2014 only. By 2015 the newer Fabia was launched.

Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 575
Size:  8.7 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-26-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In hindsight, I would have bought a brighter color rather than the dark gray Mirage that I have. I really like the looks of the dark gray, but visibility (being seen) is something to think about when driving a small car. I like all the color choices offered for the Mirage. Personally, I think the blue is sharp (pops out at you), & the orange is appealing to me, too. If someone gave me one of the other colors for free, I wouldn't refuse it.

I drove a 1990 Ford Festiva from 1990 to 2004. It was a color they called "pop yellow". I don't recall any close calls with that car. Even the deer seemed to avoid it! I called it my "sunshine car"! I would also joke that the most it could depreciate was $5,300, because that is what it cost new after a $1000 rebate offered by Ford at the time of purchase. It was cheap transportation at the time when our family sort of needed it.

Sadly, I only know a few people who drive small cars now. One couple I am close to have a Corolla and Prius, because they live a distance from town. They also own two Ford F150 pickup trucks. In their case, the trucks are justified. Along with their full time jobs in town, they raise beef cattle. Thus, they need a vehicle that will pull wagon loads of round bales, cattle trailers, & do whatever.

Ironically, the Mirage is considered a city car, but I feel super safe driving it around rural SW Wisconsin (country roads & small towns). Buzzing through the Fox Valley & Green Bay area @ 70 mph on the way to my parents is when I feel the least safe in a Mirage. It's those times, something a little more substantial would surely feel safer. Having owned motorcycles for years, the Mirage is still a big step up in safety.

As long as you don't pay to much for one, I feel the Mirage excels at being affordable, reliable, & economical. Other than the Chevy Spark, the competition is slowly disappearing.
    I didn't know what a Ford Festiva was so I goggled it. Was it a joint venture with Nissan/Datsun?
    It looks very similar to a 1990's Nissan Micra.

Name:  $_86.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  95.6 KB