Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you're a Mirage owner/driver when...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I drove a 1990 Ford Festiva from 1990 to 2004. It was a color they called "pop yellow". I don't recall any close calls with that car. Even the deer seemed to avoid it! I called it my "sunshine car"! I would also joke that the most it could depreciate was $5,300, because that is what it cost new after a $1000 rebate offered by Ford at the time of purchase. It was cheap transportation at the time when our family sort of needed it.
    A small subcompact dipped in a bright colour paint makes it safer for sure, or at least better-seen. Half the battle.

My own 2014 Mirage is dark grey like yours, and it's not seen. One good thing is.. you're under the radar of the police. I have literally been speeding around in speedy traffic, then a cop and suddenly everyone slows down... and it was the bright green Mazda 2 that got pulled over, not me... I quickly blended back in.

And I use my clutch as a brake. Slow down without brake lights!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (03-03-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    This is exactly what I had. 2014 Black Edition Monte Carlo. For a 1.2 it had legs and was comfortable. The Black Edition was a special edition launched in 2014 only. By 2015 the newer Fabia was launched.

All black last edition eh. You see that all the time for some reason, not sure why. Looks sharp itschad, probably the best variant of that Fabia before the new one.

I wish we had more compact car selection around here. I'm not wondering if a used Accord 6 speed is the best next car for me. Not much selection in the car and stick shift category, and I'm not driving a Camaro like my buddy or a Dodge Challenger. Midlife crisis cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

itschad (01-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I do want to upgrade from my Mirage to a "better" car even though I love my Mirage 6 years going.
    If you don't need AWD, the Hyundai Venue and KIA Soul are nice vehicles that still offer 6-speed manual options. I know you have mentioned the Venue before, & it's an interesting new vehicle.

I've always like the KIA Soul, but have never owned one. Apparently, the new updated 2020 is really nice. This is a vehicle that seems to get better and better with each update, but it hasn't lost it's original charm. I like that it is unique more than anything. I've seen some pretty good reviews for new Soul. There is a reason why KIA sells a lot of them, & they haven't changed it drastically.

According to Hyundai, the Venue has sort of replaced their Accent hatchback. It looks more like a small SUV rather than a small hatchback. The 1.6L engine with a 6-speed manual seems like a nice powertrain to me. I like that the Venue has a better MPG rating than the KIA Soul.

Personally, I think these two vehicles (Soul & Venue) offer a lot value. Prices discounted down to $15,000-16,000 seems like a good deal to me, but I am not sure what people are actually paying for these cars? I would have included the Outlander Sport in this conversation, but they have dropped the manual option this year. If a person wants something a little more substantial than a Mirage, I really like these vehicles in this size range.

I was moving some of our driver's education cars around (putting them back where they belong after snow plowing has been done) at our high school parking lot earlier today. I feel claustrophobic whenever I am in our 2016 Ford Focus. You're surrounded by plastic, & it makes the Mirage feel roomy by comparison.

I wish that I had more faith in Subaru, because there are some things that I really like about my 2011 Forester. I've concluded some time ago that no one vehicle does everything well. I guess that is why I own two. We've had some nasty weather (snow/ice) lately. AWD with snow tires does make a difference on some of the rural ridge roads that I find myself driving on. I'm not willing to give that up any time soon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Festiva was a car designed by Mazda, built by Kia, and sold by Ford. It was known overseas as the Kia Pride and the Mazda 121.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

itschad (01-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I didn't know what a Ford Festiva was so I goggled it. Was it a joint venture with Nissan/Datsun?
    It looks very similar to a 1990's Nissan Micra.

Attachment 16956
    Ford Festiva (1988-1993) was designed by Mazda, built by KIA (in Soeul), & sold by Ford. The 1990+ models got fuel injection. These were the days of automatic seat belt (before air bags were totally mandatory) coming at you when you started the car. I lost an ice cream cone in my hand that way once!

If these cars were sold today, I would have bought one instead of a Mirage. Not saying a Mirage isn't nicer. I just prefer cheap and basic. The Ford Festiva sold here was only a 2-door models. I've never seen a 4-door one before. Didn't know they existed even.

Sorry, Dodge Aries K said the same! Can't see what others are saying while typing!
    Last edited by Mark; 01-26-2020 at 11:15 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

itschad (01-27-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you don't need AWD, the Hyundai Venue and KIA Soul are nice vehicles that still offer 6-speed manual options. I know you have mentioned the Venue before, & it's an interesting new vehicle.
    I am a 1 car owner myself. Since I bought my Mirage new, I really don't want another bunch of years with car payments. If I go new car route, I'll consider the Hyundai Venue as almost my top pick at this point.

I like the Venue's looks, and I had a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe as a rental for week out West, across Alberta last spring, and I was impressed with the 8.3 L / 100 km's fuel economy for a large vehicle after over 800 km's driving.

So I suspect the small Hyundai Venue with 6 speed stick shift is very good on gas. That much better than the good Santa Fe. I have been talking to a few Venue owners over at the Venue Forum, and they get up to 38 MPG highway.

Only upper trims of the Venue have a centre arm rest. Grrr.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    My own 2014 Mirage is dark grey like yours, and it's not seen. One good thing is.. you're under the radar of the police. I have literally been speeding around in speedy traffic, then a cop and suddenly everyone slows down... and it was the bright green Mazda 2 that got pulled over, not me...!
    Nah, that's not the color. That's the cop who rather believed the reviews which told him a Mirage is horribly slow, than his eyes which told him it's speeding.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-27-2020),timw4mail (01-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am a 1 car owner myself. Since I bought my Mirage new, I really don't want another bunch of years with car payments. If I go new car route, I'll consider the Hyundai Venue as almost my top pick at this point.

I like the Venue's looks, and I had a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe as a rental for week out West, across Alberta last spring, and I was impressed with the 8.3 L / 100 km's fuel economy for a large vehicle after over 800 km's driving.

So I suspect the small Hyundai Venue with 6 speed stick shift is very good on gas. That much better than the good Santa Fe. I have been talking to a few Venue owners over at the Venue Forum, and they get up to 38 MPG highway.

Only upper trims of the Venue have a centre arm rest. Grrr.
    Looks like a Hyundai Venue twin is being created by KIA. Not sure it will make it to North America or not?

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indus...t-suv-41490036

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I highly and strongly advise against buying a Fiat SUV, but the Jeep Renegade still can be had with a 6 speed, 3 pedal setup as well.

And actually, just checked, it's only available with the ZF-9 now. Damn. Oh well, cost of ownership would bankrupt anybody anyway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I highly and strongly advise against buying a Fiat SUV, but the Jeep Renegade still can be had with a 6 speed, 3 pedal setup as well.

And actually, just checked, it's only available with the ZF-9 now. Damn. Oh well, cost of ownership would bankrupt anybody anyway.
    Jeep dropped the manual option for the Renegade in 2020. They all have Jeep's 9-speed automatic transmission now. The Compass still offers a 6-speed manual. Fiat hasn't improved Jeep in my opinion. My money would go elsewhere, too.