Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to find the lightest wheels possible.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    They sell minibus tires and similar for the JDM trucks and old VW vans in a 145/80r12, however they are a R12C, so they will probably ride a... bit stiff and be a bit heavy.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Set-of-4...FcppHg&vxp=mtr

Boom.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    They sell minibus tires and similar for the JDM trucks and old VW vans in a 145/80r12, however they are a R12C, so they will probably ride a... bit stiff and be a bit heavy.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Set-of-4...FcppHg&vxp=mtr

Boom.
    Not sure a 12" tire would fit over the front brakes. A 13" tire doesn't fit the 2017+ Mirages.

Sure they'll fit, just add some wheel spacers Attachment 16962
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    If you want to have fun, you install 205 wide R1R's or R888's, not cheap crap.

To that end, or, ignoring that end..., depending on how much clearance you have to the brakes, a set of 12" off of a Pontiac Firefly should match the bolt pattern, and last I checked Walmart still had 145/80r12's for them, if not people sell them used, just watch your DOT date, don't go TOO ancient.
    Interesting advice! I can never remember if the Firefly/Metro bolt pattern matches the Mirage 4X100.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Metro spares will as they are dual bolt pattern 4x100 and 4x4.5", standard rims sadly will not.

Honda insight alloy spares weight 8 lbs, and seeing as they have been subject to very little use or outdoor exposure would be be likely in good condition. Being 14x4" it would be able to fit the stock 165/65 tires even. Light and aerodynamic, probably what I would go with if I bought alloys for Tae. Oh and buy a can of paint so they aren't schoolbus yellow .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the responses. I always honestly enjoy reading what you all got to say. I appreciate your time. But there is one idea that actually may work thanks to MacClyver's response about the 2000-2006 Honda Insight alloy spare tire being used to fit a 165/65R14. Gives me an idea to fit the low profile I have on which is 155/55R14 low profile 14s. Those may weigh about a pound heavier, but those have the highest rolling resistance tires I can find as of now and they run really well. So I've researched those spare tires and Ebay was the only one I found that was refurbished. Man, those aren't cheap. Sounds like I'll call some junk yards around and do some scratching and see what I can find.

One thing, so is the Honda Insight Alloy spare tire lighter than our steel Mirages? I know I weighed my Mirage spare with the tire on it and its 19 pounds.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    15x4: https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/3810/m...eels_rims.html
    ...though I like that Metro spare idea...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Gnestovia, when I saw one of those weighed last October it came out to just under 15lb with the 115/70/14 donut if I remember correctly.

I actually nearly bought two off ebay a month ago, before deciding to stay with my OEM steels. One was for $65 and another for 75, if interested wait awhile and get good deals, they are out there.

I weighed a Steel Metro spare with same size donut tire and it came to 21 lb 14 oz, interesting the steel spare in the Mirage is three pounds lighter while appearing nearly the same.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Gnestovia, when I saw one of those weighed last October it came out to just under 15lb with the 115/70/14 donut if I remember correctly.

I actually nearly bought two off ebay a month ago, before deciding to stay with my OEM steels. One was for $65 and another for 75, if interested wait awhile and get good deals, they are out there.

I weighed a Steel Metro spare with same size donut tire and it came to 21 lb 14 oz, interesting the steel spare in the Mirage is three pounds lighter while appearing nearly the same.
    Just quoting what I find when searching for the "lifespan of a donut wheel" -

"The tire is designed simply to get you to a repair facility. Most of these tires offer a maximum life of 70 miles. There's another reason to avoid driving on the spare: mechanical damage." Apr 10, 2018

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh I know about using the donut tire. It's just to get you to a shop to get your regular tire that is flat replaced. I don't ever think about using a donut tire to drive normally. Not safe at all. But the Honda Insight "Spare rim with low profile road tires on it" if course it fitting like it should, will do just fine. Just donut tires don't have strong enough side walls and a lot of layers of rubber to be used long term.