Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find the lightest wheels possible.

Where's your rocker moulding, in a box with your mirror?

Edit: nevermind i just saw your other thread.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What ever happened with this? I would be really interested in knowing MPG difference these tires/wheels can do.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Smile Still here!

It's still going buddy, I've only been able to get one wheel so far. Still looking to get 3 more + the tires too. No worries, just give me time. There is one for sale on ebay for $174. I just don't have the money right now for it. But this will happen!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Wink

Got my first tire and wheel on! Just a test fit.
    By the way the wheel and tire combo weighs in at 20.6 pounds. That's over 5 pounds per wheel saved on each side!

*By the way* if anyone knows where I can get a 2000-2006 Honda Insight spare rim please let me know. They are hard to find. Thanks a lot!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Gnestovia; 06-05-2020 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Help

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gnestovia For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-12-2020),Mirageman38 (06-05-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Hmm the picture makes the new one look a lot bigger? They should be almost identical height wise no? I am really interested in seeing the difference in rolling resistance.
    A factory 165/65r14 tire has an outside diameter of 22.4".

I looked up a 135SR14 tire, & it is an 80 profile tire. A 135/80r14 size would have an outside diameter of 22.5". A factory 175/55r15 Mirage tire = 22.6".

Thus, the 135SR14 tire is exactly in-between the two 14" & 15" factory size tires. In my opinion, that's as close as you can get.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

You can compare a 165/65r14 to 135/80r14 tires on a site above to see a side-by-side comparison.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I'm not completely sure what the goal is here...but I'm still following along.

Did you read the description of those tires? It sounds like you won't want these anywhere near your car when winter rolls around...

The Sprint Classic is Vredestein's Grand Touring Summer tire developed for drivers of classic automobiles who want a tire with vintage style combined with modern technology. Like all summer tires, the Sprint Classic is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Grand Touring Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I don't think you could find any other tire in that size though. No modernish cars come with any tire that skinny. Looks like old DAF cars are the only ones that use it and they are rare/old especially in the States. Just for trying to get the best MPG it should be okay though if not for year round use.
    I wouldn't assume a tire like that will outperform a tire that was designed to be LRR (low rolling resistance). If you compare that tire to a Dunlop Enasave tire put on the same lightweight rims, I would wager to say the Dunlop may do better in the mpg department. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't assume the skinner tire is superior just because it's skinny.

I drove a 1990 car from 1990 to 2004 with 145SR12 tires. There was nothing classic about the car or the tires I had on it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnestovia View Post
    Got my first tire and wheel on! Just a test fit.
    By the way the wheel and tire combo weighs in at 20.6 pounds. That's over 5 pounds per wheel saved on each side!

*By the way* if anyone knows where I can get a 2000-2006 Honda Insight spare rim please let me know. They are hard to find. Thanks a lot!
    I like the look and the concept. I'm not sure it's something I would pursue, but it's still interesting. Here's hoping it works out for you, and looking forward to more updates.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Red face Update so far

Got 3 wheels painted. 2 are mounted with the tires and balanced and are ready to go. Here is a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Where did you find the other 2 wheels?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)