Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is why people buy a Mirage, according to Mitsubishi

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I was surprised by that, too. I figure the average US buyer of a new Mirage wants an inexpensive dependable car with a long warranty. I would have thought fuel efficiency would be on the list after price and warranty. Based on the forum's Fuel Economy Log, most people here aren't obsessed with fuel economy.

Mitsubishi needs to re-think the pricing on these cars. The Mirage could be the most fuel efficient and least expensive vehicle in the US. Nobody pays $13K for a base model Mirage in the US. At least I hope nobody paid that much.

EDIT - I think this article is quoting Canadian pricing? You can't buy a Spark in the US for $9,998.

Fuel efficiency and pricing are two sides of the same coin. Few car makers do both. As
    Michael Clark has said in these Youtube videos, the Mirage is not only an affordable/less expensive car ( it's not the least expensive, but 2nd or 3rd cheapest new car to purchase based on MSRP), but it is also less costly to maintain. Therefore fuel efficiency is one of the few things that pays off over time, whereas a low-purchase price is a one-time deal. So getting a low-buy in price and a higher fuel economy is going to save you much more in the long run. That said, some of the MSRPs are going to be less desirable for the higher trims, so you will get a better value if you are just looking for the the best bang (in mpg) for the buck. This video explains it quite well - with one addition- the AC is now standard (the 2014 did not have it).

The way I see it is, every time I get 47mpg at a tank fillup, I am getting 17mpg more than my last car. When you buy a more expensive car, it depreciates more in absolute amounts (not percentage- i.e. a Tesla might not depreciate as much as quickly, but you still end up spending a lot more.

Edit: Also, I paid less than the MSRP, so it is very possible to buy the car or a 2019 model (new) for less than the cost of a new Spark or Versa.

Last edited by highwire; 01-21-2020 at 11:43 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    EDIT - I think this article is quoting Canadian pricing? You can't buy a Spark in the US for $9,998.
    That thread was from 2016 and you are correct that was Canadian pricing although I did see a few Sparks for less than $11,000 USD a few years back new. Definitely not now and the point is moot with the Spark no longer going to be offered in the North American market.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    That thread was from 2016 and you are correct that was Canadian pricing although I did see a few Sparks for less than $11,000 USD a few years back new. Definitely not now and the point is moot with the Spark no longer going to be offered in the North American market.
    inuvik, That Edit line was part of Top_Fuel's quote.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    inuvik, That Edit line was part of Top_Fuel's quote.
    So many quotes, so many threads lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Hi Foama, I understand your question. The sentence is worded in a way that can be confusing to some. It is because of something called "misplaced modifiers." I did study English in college for a year, so I have a stronger background in this. This is one of those grammatical things that can be seem ambiguous even if it is correctly written.

It most likely is worded to indicate that the top reason to buy a Mirage, among 65% of polled, is fuel efficiency. The fuel efficiency of many new cars could be around 30mpg (including SUVs), so 39 combined for CVT Mirage is 30% more. But that does not appear to be what the sentence is. Understandably, English is one of the most difficult languages to master. That said, many native English speakers do not usually often notice or try to determine that distinction.

Also, MetroMPG, I'm glad you posted this- I was going to share the same article!

Thanks for the clarification, highwire!

I happen to be a native English speaker with three degrees from an English university, but I'm definitely not an American speaker.
    This case sounds like a Japanese native speaker having learnt American as a foreign language, garbling chains of unconnected phrases instead of clearly structured sentences.
    To a native English speaker it is baffling ambiguous vocal trash. I would certainly not have made junior high with wording like that.
    Last edited by foama; 01-22-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, highwire!

I happen to be a native English speaker with three degrees from an English university, but I'm definitely not an American speaker.
    This case sounds like a Japanese native speaker having learnt American as a foreign language, garbling chains of unconnected phrases instead of clearly structured sentences.
    To a native English speaker it is baffling ambiguous vocal trash. I would certainly not have made junior high with wording like that.
    Dude, your English is great. Way better than my German.

All the German I know was learned watching Volkswagen commercials.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    New article: https://www.thethings.com/questionab...void-for-2020/
    # 18 on the list: "Although it is one of the most affordable new cars out there, the Mitsubishi Mirage has managed to earn itself a 1 star rating from Car and Driver. The Mirage has a noisy engine, doesn’t deliver much horsepower, and is lacking in driver-assistance features. All that has made it fall from competition."

Pretty typical review, but wrong. There is no competition! Most car-markers seems to be leaving the A-segment. Maybe Spark will continue to be made for short-term. But it's funny since the competition isn't even mentioned. Also on the list are the other "entry level" sedans Fiat 500 and Fiesta. It's like saying don't buy any fuel efficient car, there shouldn't even be the compact format anymore.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    New article: https://www.thethings.com/questionab...void-for-2020/
    # 18 on the list: "Although it is one of the most affordable new cars out there, the Mitsubishi Mirage has managed to earn itself a 1 star rating from Car and Driver. The Mirage has a noisy engine, doesn’t deliver much horsepower, and is lacking in driver-assistance features. All that has made it fall from competition."

Pretty typical review, but wrong. There is no competition! Most car-markers seems to be leaving the A-segment. Maybe Spark will continue to be made for short-term. But it's funny since the competition isn't even mentioned. Also on the list are the other "entry level" sedans Fiat 500 and Fiesta. It's like saying don't buy any fuel efficient car, there shouldn't even be the compact format anymore.
    Further proof that clickbait pays!

I like my Mirage. I don't need an online opinion piece for confirmation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Further proof that clickbait pays!

I like my Mirage. I don't need an online opinion piece for confirmation.
    I like the car itself. It's simplicity and doing more with less is appealing. It's cozy inside. Yes it's loud, yes it's slow. I don't care about those things. It's not just about gas mileage for me. Hopefully others share this sentiment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    1. Gas Mileage - initial interest
    2. Low Price - kept my interest
    3. Warranty - sealed it

1st model year was taking a chance but it has paid off.

Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-23-2020),Eggman (01-23-2020)