Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: This is why people buy a Mirage, according to Mitsubishi

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Somewhere in that list for me was simplicity/reliability. I tell people to buy it for the things it doesn't have...

• It's not a diesel
    • It doesn't have a turbo or supercharger
    • It doesn't have gasoline direct injection
    • It doesn't have a timing belt
    • It's not all wheel drive
    • It doesn't have a CVT (I just tossed that in to see if Dirk is reading this thread)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-23-2020),Eggman (01-23-2020),poorman1 (01-30-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Somewhere in that list for me was simplicity/reliability. I tell people to buy it for the things it doesn't have...

• It's not a diesel
    • It doesn't have a CVT (I just tossed that in to see if Dirk is reading this thread)
    Lol funny! I had a nightmare about my CVT last night! In all honesty, Im quite impressed with CVT7, it doesnt feel overtaxed and is precise finding the correct power band usually. You know your definitely a keystone council member of the Mechanical Wizards cabal on here. So I respect your opinion. However, what would say about the CVT7 if asked by a friend in the buyers market? Would you trust it in the Mirage only or not at all period? What about paired off with the Versa, Sentra, Cube, Juke, Swift, Spark, or any of the other models that its paired off with? Penny for your thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    ...what would say about the CVT7 if asked by a friend in the buyers market? Would you trust it in the Mirage only or not at all period?
    I wouldn't have an issue buying a Mirage with one. I think it's proven its reliability (when properly maintained). Probably 80% of Mirage owners on this forum have a CVT. If they were that bad, every other thread would be CVT-related, right?

Would I buy any other new car right now with a CVT? Ummm....not unless it came with a 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty.

Now...you couldn't give me a Nissan with a CVT. They seem to have more than their fair share of problems. A guy I work with has a rebuilt replacement CVT in his Sentra already. I think it crapped out at 60,000 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-24-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    As long as it doesn't light up like a Zippo in a crash was good enough reason for me to buy one.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

• It's not a diesel
    It only has one extra cylinder...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    1. Gas Mileage - initial interest
    2. Low Price - kept my interest
    3. Warranty - sealed it

1st model year was taking a chance but it has paid off.
    My 2017 Mirage ES manual purchase (October of 2017) - This is why I bought one back then, & why I would still buy one today!

1. MPG - highest mileage non-hybrid hatchback with relatively simple mechanicals (3 cylinder/manual)
    2. Low Price - White Bear Mitsubishi offering new Mirages for $9,500
    3. Positive consumer reviews (kbb.com, cars.com, etc.)
    4. European car reviews (liked the German reviews the best).
    5. This forum - cars must be dependable, because Fummins never seems overworked!!!
    6. Calling Richard @ White Bear (answered his own phone & offered to deliver the car) sealed the deal.

Things I wasn't willing to compromise on -

1. Manual transmission
    2. Must get 40 mpg pretty much year round.
    3. Had to be affordable. I was not willing to pay more than $10,000 for an updated Mirage in 2017 even it meant waiting a year or two for one. Added features the past three model years (2018, 2019, & 2020) would make me pursued a used Mirage in today's market.

If I was shopping for a Mirage ES manual today, these are the cars within a 200 miles radius of my home. Since White Bear is about 200 miles from my home, my search really doesn't go much beyond that distance.

2017 74,245 miles @ $7136
    2018 32,170 miles @ $8895
    2018 16,802 miles @ $8996
    2018 35,611 miles @ $9226
    2019 6,169 miles @ $9497
    2018 12,506 miles @ $9499
    2019 14,842 miles @ $10,599
    2019 NEW @ $10,999 (White Bear Mitsubishi)
    New Mirages @ White Bear Mitsubishi is my cut off. I see no reason to look at anything (used/new) that would cost more.

White Bear was selling new Mirage ES manuals for $9,000-$9,500 (depending on how you financed it) in 2017. Loyalty & military rebates would have made these cars even cheaper for some customers.

A leftover 2019 base level Mirage is approximately $2,000 more than a leftover 2017 was back then. Backup camera, Bluetooth, 6-way adjustable driver's seat, & cruise control have become mandatory or standard features. These features have impacted pricing. 2020 will add auto climate controls to the deal.

If I was seriously in the market for a Mirage today, I still feel $10,000 or under can put you in a very nice economy car that's quite affordable, reliable, and economical. The difference - it would be a slightly used Mirage today vs. a new one for that price just a few years ago. The advantage of the new Mirage is the 10-year/100,000 powertrain warranty. A person would have to decide how much that is worth to you (buying slightly used vs. new)?

If a Mirage fits your vehicle needs, $10,000 can still get you into a really nice economy car. Some people don't mind paying more for a car, and there is nothing wrong with that, too! For some a CVT is a must. Some people really like features like auto climate controls, push button start, heated seats, alloy wheels, etc... There nothing wrong with that. For some paying extra for those items is ok.

When I shop for a Mirage, I still see a good value. Unless financing with Ally (Mitsubishi) offers you extra rebate $$$, take financing with the dealership out of the equation. It cost me $30 to finance a car with my local credit union.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-24-2020 at 04:16 AM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I would have thought fuel efficiency would be on the list after price and warranty.
    My Space Star does about 25000km/year. That is about 1100L petrol, which is €1800 at the current price. I bought my car 2nd hand, without finance, and if I depreciate it in 5 years, that costs me €1400/year. Maintenance maybe €500.

So fuel economy is easily the most cost-determining factor of my car. I know this changes if you do less km/year, or finance a new car, or live in a country where fuel is criminally cheap. But you'll have to turn a lot of knobs before fuel costs become a minor issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    Fuel efficiency and pricing are two sides of the same coin. Few car makers do both. As
    Michael Clark has said in these Youtube videos, the Mirage is not only an affordable/less expensive car ( it's not the least expensive, but 2nd or 3rd cheapest new car to purchase based on MSRP)
    I did not realize until now, there is a seat-belt holder for the rear seatbelts, when the rear seats are down 60/40.

I did not know what that thing was on the B pillar. Nifty.

For me, my Mirage has been about dependability, and price, and fuel economy, all equally. I don't want to spend an extra $60 a week on gas, just to get to work. Seems like shooting myself in the foot. I want more money in my pocket, so the Mirage helps.

Not cheap, practical! I want to retire one day and I understand how compound interest works. Fancy cars and status symbols mean little to me, except that I do love nice cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    why i buy my mirage? simple...
    "BANG FOR THE BUCK"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    why i buy my mirage? simple...
    "BANG FOR THE BUCK"
    Interestingly enough, the Mirage is made in Thailand and that is a common catch phrase in some of the side streets in that same city lmao