Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some suspension advice.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have a Browning Gold 10. A friend of mine has the one in both 10 gauge and 12 gauge. He's had his Browning Gold shotguns for a long time, and he loves them. The Browning Gold 10 was designed to be a goose gun, because a 3.5 inch 10 gauge load throws a lot of steel pellets (lead is not legal for migratory birds in the States).

We load up our Gold 10 with 3.5 inch loads of hevi-shot for turkeys. When Toms becomes a little difficult to call in close, these shotguns put the odds back in our favor. I don't care what anyone else says, these loads are deadly for turkeys. Since the introduction of 3.5 inch 12 gauge shotguns, 10 gauge shotguns are not very popular any more. Only a few nuts like my friend & I use them. I bought mine used a few years ago. I've had zero issues with it.

The old Browning A5 shotguns are an American classic, but the new A5 is not the same gun. The new ones are inertia driven, not gas operated. The Browning Gold gas driven model really reduce kick. Today's Browning Golds are now called the Silver, & the Maxus is their new gas gun. The new A5 is their inertia gun. That's the number one reason my friend has them. His wife, daughter, son, and about 20 different kids on youth hunts have killed birds with his 12 gauge. My friend is a turkey hunter nut, & he loves his Browning Gold shotguns!

I am not a brand loyalty type of guy. Mossberg, Franchi, Stoeger, Remington, Winchester/Browning - I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of them. Even some of the cheaper TriStar & Weatherby shotguns are well received here.

History lesson - The Browning Auto-5 was the first mass-produced semi-automatic shotgun. Designed by John Browning in 1898 and patented in 1900, it was produced continually for almost 100 years by several makers with production ending in 1998. Pontius Pilate probably didn't design any shotguns, because the Romans were still using spears back them!
    10 gauge home defense shotguns are making a comeback according to some. Less recoil and still just as much stopping power. Im looking for one. 12 gauge is just too much for my fiance, in case I wasn't home and needed to protect herself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    10 gauge home defense shotguns are making a comeback according to some. Less recoil and still just as much stopping power. Im looking for one. 12 gauge is just too much for my fiance, in case I wasn't home and needed to protect herself.
    10 gauge is larger than a 12 gauge, & it is the largest gauge allowed for hunting (at least in Wisconsin). I only know of Browning & New England Arms still making/selling them in the United States. Browning makes a semi-auto and pump. NEA makes a single shot. Some people prefer a 20 gauge for self defense, because it is smaller and has less recoil than a 12 gauge. When I say I own a Browning Gold 10, there is no competition left any more. No one else makes a 10 gauge semi-automatic any more, except them. Remington made an SP-10, but it has been discontinued for quite some time now.

12 & 20 gauge shotguns are the most popular gauges in the States by far.

Smallest to largest = .410, 28 gauge, 20 gauge, 16 gauge, 12 gauge, & 10 gauge. A 2 gauge would be like a miniature cannon & not legal.

28 gauge means - it would take 28 lead balls that diameter size to equal one pound.

12 gauge means - it would take 12 lead balls that diameter size to equal one pound.

10 gauge means - it would only take 10 lead balls that diameter size to equal one pound.

Thus, a 10 gauge is larger than a 12 gauge. It's a weird system of measuring lead balls that would fit that diameter barrel. Big balls vs. little balls. Thought you might like knowing that, Dirk!

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    I have a Browning Gold 10. A friend of mine has the one in both 10 gauge and 12 gauge. He's had his Browning Gold shotguns for a long time, and he loves them. The Browning Gold 10 was designed to be a goose gun, because a 3.5 inch 10 gauge load throws a lot of steel pellets (lead is not legal for migratory birds in the States).

We load up our Gold 10 with 3.5 inch loads of hevi-shot for turkeys. When Toms becomes a little difficult to call in close, these shotguns put the odds back in our favor. I don't care what anyone else says, these loads are deadly for turkeys. Since the introduction of 3.5 inch 12 gauge shotguns, 10 gauge shotguns are not very popular any more. Only a few nuts like my friend & I use them. I bought mine used a few years ago. I've had zero issues with it.

The old Browning A5 shotguns are an American classic, but the new A5 is not the same gun. The new ones are inertia driven, not gas operated. The Browning Gold gas driven model really reduce kick. Today's Browning Golds are now called the Silver, & the Maxus is their new gas gun. The new A5 is their inertia gun. That's the number one reason my friend has them. His wife, daughter, son, and about 20 different kids on youth hunts have killed birds with his 12 gauge. My friend is a turkey hunter nut, & he loves his Browning Gold shotguns!

I am not a brand loyalty type of guy. Mossberg, Franchi, Stoeger, Remington, Winchester/Browning - I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of them. Even some of the cheaper TriStar & Weatherby shotguns are well received here.

History lesson - The Browning Auto-5 was the first mass-produced semi-automatic shotgun. Designed by John Browning in 1898 and patented in 1900, it was produced continually for almost 100 years by several makers with production ending in 1998. Pontius Pilate probably didn't design any shotguns, because the Romans were still using spears back them!
    Mine was a 12g chambered for 3.5 inch as I also shot geese & ducks (and the occasional traffic warden..JOKE) but I/we considered 305 inch too much gun so I/we just used 3 inch magnums, either Eley, Remington or Gevelot. Using it for pigeons, rabbits etc, well, I got so frustrated at the Gold I nearly ended up shooting the bloody thing.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Sorry I meant 20 gauge in my post not 10. Clear that up. Yeah I think a 20 gauge with birdshot is a great home defense shell. Plenty of stopping power with less worry of overpenetrating walls and hurt loved ones.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Is the UK govt making it harder and harder to have hunting clubs? I thought I read that online.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Mine was a 12g chambered for 3.5 inch as I also shot geese & ducks (and the occasional traffic warden..JOKE) but I/we considered 305 inch too much gun so I/we just used 3 inch magnums, either Eley, Remington or Gevelot. Using it for pigeons, rabbits etc, well, I got so frustrated at the Gold I nearly ended up shooting the bloody thing.
    I do believe there were some issues with the early Browning Gold shotguns. The Browning Gold 10 is made different than the 12, & it's a lone breed in a 10 gauge semi-automatic sold today. It's more shotgun than anyone would ever need, but some feel you can never have to much.

Mossberg came out with the first 3.5" 12 gauge shotgun, which was there 835 Ulti-Mag. It has an overbored barrel, which made it compete very well with the 3.5" 10 gauge. Shooting 3.5" loads through a 835 is brutal, because it's a pump gun & light. My dad has one of these guns. He shot one 3.5" load out of it, & he will never shoot another. Birds drop dead with 3" loads. No need to torture yourself with 3.5" loads.

Thus, the point I was trying to make originally. The gas-operated semi-automatic action & heavy weight of my Browning Gold 10 takes a lot of the snort out the kick. It kicks less than my 3" pump shotgun. Likewise a heavier vehicle with better shocks isn't going to feel potholes as bad. Even with stiffer shocks, hitting potholes with a light small car will still remain a bit unpleasant in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-25-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    10 gauge is larger than a 12 gauge, & it is the largest gauge allowed for hunting (at least in Wisconsin). I only know of Browning & New England Arms still making/selling them in the United States. Browning makes a semi-auto and pump. NEA makes a single shot. Some people prefer a 20 gauge for self defense, because it is smaller and has less recoil than a 12 gauge. When I say I own a Browning Gold 10, there is no competition left any more. No one else makes a 10 gauge semi-automatic any more, except them. Remington made an SP-10, but it has been discontinued for quite some time now.

12 & 20 gauge shotguns are the most popular gauges in the States by far.

Smallest to largest = .410, 28 gauge, 20 gauge, 16 gauge, 12 gauge, & 10 gauge. A 2 gauge would be like a miniature cannon & not legal.

28 gauge means - it would take 28 lead balls that diameter size to equal one pound.

12 gauge means - it would take 12 lead balls that diameter size to equal one pound.

10 gauge means - it would only take 10 lead balls that diameter size to equal one pound.

Thus, a 10 gauge is larger than a 12 gauge. It's a weird system of measuring lead balls that would fit that diameter barrel. Big balls vs. little balls. Thought you might like knowing that, Dirk!
    We can use any gauge of shotgun in the UK subject to holding a licence. About 35 years ago we all went down to Kent, The Detling Game Fair. My brother in law and I had 10 shots each with a 4 bore, now that's a mans gun. We were shooting clays and you just couldn't miss, yes it kicked like a wild horse but was fun. I swear if the clay was launched at say 9 on a clock face and you shot at 3 you'd hit the clay.
    My favourite gun ever was a 20 bore Lincoln o/u that I used for wood pigeon shooting and 12 bore for ducks & geese.
    Take a look below.

https://youtu.be/yMtVW2gSJ40

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Is the UK govt making it harder and harder to have hunting clubs? I thought I read that online.
    No Dirk not really. The police (dependant on what part of the country) would rather you didn't own a gun. When I was in London I threatened to take them to court (this was back in the 70's) because they wouldn't accept my application. I had to phone Scotland Yard and quoted the law as then "It is every Englishman's right to own a gun/firearm" Scotland Yard were brilliant just the local plod making it difficult. Much to the dismay of Peckham police I went to Scotland Yard's firearms office on the Thames on the Albert Embankment to pick up my licence.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thats awsome you took them to task like that Chad. From what I understand, the UK has done a fantastic job reintroducing wildlife back into its parks. I understand the stag, bear, raptor, etc. are thriving. And of course, my favorite bird, the venerable English Puffin.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Dunno about bears Dirk, What is a shame the indigenous Red squirrel is trying to make a comeback , with mans help) after being decimated by the Grey which we can shoot legally and I have to say I enjoy killing the tree rat.