Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car took 9.562 gallons!!! Pump out of calibration?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    So the fuel is (relatively) warm when it passes to the measuring tool, and cools down in the hose & tank quick enough to make the difference?

When we take the 9.295 gallon from Eggman as reference, the density of the fuel should increase 9.562/9.295 = 1.029 = ~3%. According to this table you need a temperature drop of 24C to accomplish that.

@cwatkin: What was the outside temperature?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    The gas volume changes by a factor of 0.001 1/K. That means, heating one liter by 20 Kelvin will expand the gas to 1,02 liter or 25 liters of gas to 25.5 liters. But the temperature of the gas pumped out of underground tanks is nearly the same all year and even heating the gas by about 20 °C in the summer never let the fuel tank leak, even when filling up to the lower edge of the tank opening.

The average fuel consumption shown by the board computer is so exact that I would realize a deviation of one liter on a full tank with ease. So there are some possibilities to check wheter the displayed information of the car or the gas station is wrong.

I would compare the fuel consumed, calculated from the distance and average fuel consumption of the last tank, with the displayed value of the gas station first. If this result would differ more than two liters or half a gallon, the displayed value of the gas station would be wrong in my opinion.

My maximum is ca. 8.7 gallons when filling the tank to the maximum and running over 100 kilometers on reserve.

One thing to notice: If the ground falls of to the right/front of the car, it is possible to tank 1 liter more than usual.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Gosh, I hope cwatkin wasn't scared away by all our arguing and mansplaining.

25Plus, good to see you around! Long time no see. I hope you'll give us an update.

Folks, in case you don't know 25Plus is one of the forum's all-time fuel economy leaders.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Like 25Plus already stated, I don't know if outside temperature is all that relevant when filling up. The gas is coming from underground tanks that would have more a constant temperature year round.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I´m still happy with my car. Only services, nothing more to say after 120000 kilometers. I´m still busy adding fill-ups and reading latest posts time to time.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 25Plus View Post
    I´m still happy with my car. Only services, nothing more to say after 120000 kilometers. I´m still busy adding fill-ups and reading latest posts time to time.
    Wow, just looked at your fuel logs. How the hell are you able to go over 900km on a tank? Doing 150? Do you get towed or pushed around a lot? You managed to get 74mpg!
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-27-2020 at 03:09 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm in the same boat, it doesn't matter what I would attempt to do, I have to drive insanely illegally and like an absolute and complete psycho to achieve 4l/100. I would die of mental exhaustion if I tried to do that twice in one day, I can't even fathom 3l/100.

My little mirage is simply not capable, at least not for my commute. But, some people have a trip where it's dead flat or has hills that line up well with a P&G approach, and have much lower speed limits. I'm sure if I stretched my commute to an hour from it's current half hour I might be able to sneak another half litre off, but no, I'm doing 90 to hit 4l/100, and MOST days i'm doing 125...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

I basically quit trying altogether. If I get in the 6's I'm happy. I might try again in the summer, it's pretty hard to get decent economy on my drive home, someday's I'm stuck on the freeway for 10 mins then hit 10 red lights, other days the complete opposite.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)