Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car took 9.562 gallons!!! Pump out of calibration?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Car took 9.562 gallons!!! Pump out of calibration?

My 2015 just took 9.562 gallons of gas tonight. I know I was low but the car was still running and I think the pump might be out of calibration. Does this seem like it could have happened or is this the sign of a pump that ripped me off? I took a picture of the pump and the gas station. I might report this to the state if you think it is bad.

Conor

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Don't forget the pumps are calibrated to dispense precisely 1 gallon @15C.

As the temps drop the density of gas increases and suddenly you get more in a gallon @-15F than at +15C.

That's your answer.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    My 2015 just took 9.562 gallons of gas tonight. I know I was low but the car was still running and I think the pump might be out of calibration. Does this seem like it could have happened or is this the sign of a pump that ripped me off? I took a picture of the pump and the gas station. I might report this to the state if you think it is bad.

Conor
    That's a lot of gas to put in your tank! According to other forum members reports, it looks like you hold the record for a single fill:

What's the most gas you've ever filled your Mirage?

Others have come close to your numbers. I'm going to assume you topped off your tank when filling, rather than stopping at the pump's auto shut-off.

Also, how's your fuel gauge - do you think it's accurate? There's been reports of fuel level sensors malfunctioning, and the quality of the fuel used is a suspected factor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Also, how's your fuel gauge - do you think it's accurate? There's been reports of fuel level sensors malfunctioning, and the quality of the fuel used is a suspected factor.
    Whether his gas gauge read 1/2 full or completely empty at the time of filling up, it doesn't change the fact that he pumped 9.562 gallons of gas into his Mirage.

So when you look at the Mirage's specs, you get numbers like these

MPG: Up to 37 city / 43 highway
    Warranty: 5 yr/60,000 mi basic, 10 yr/100,000 mi powertrain
    Curb weight: 2,018 to 2,117 lbs
    Horsepower: 78 hp
    Fuel tank capacity: 9.2 gal
    Engine: 1.2 L 3-cylinder

Mitsubishi may consider 9.2 gallon to be a full tank of gas. It may hold a little extra? I don't see this as a big deal.

Overfilling is not a good practice with modern cars. I could list numerous articles that cover that topic, but anyone can google that themselves.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-24-2020)

Agreed. I've filled my truck up with more than the mfg stated capacity more than once. It has a 34 gallon/128L tank. I filled up once at 34.3 gallons, and 35 gallons. Both times took a few extra minutes of filling up the filler next, shacking the truck then filling up some more. But it's a diesel with no evap crap so no worries about plugging a charcoal canister. I wouldn't do the same to a gas job though, unless I had spare parts handy......
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I feel sorry for the original poster's fuel pump.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I feel sorry for the original poster's fuel pump.
    I agree with Steve & Fummins! Running your tank that low & possibly overfilling it is not something that I would make a practice of doing. Some seem to get a thrill over this stuff, however. They must love living on the edge!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Whether his gas gauge read 1/2 full or completely empty at the time of filling up, it doesn't change the fact that he pumped 9.562 gallons of gas into his Mirage.
    But a malfunctioning fuel level sensor can cause an operator to run Real Low on fuel. The subsequent fill-up at maximum stated capacity plus the filler neck might possibly explain how it took 9.562 gallons.

Sorry for not spelling this out earlier.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Don't forget the pumps are calibrated to dispense precisely 1 gallon @15C.

As the temps drop the density of gas increases and suddenly you get more in a gallon @-15F than at +15C.

That's your answer.
    Wait. Are you saying the pump actually measures the weight of the fuel? How?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No they measure volume, molecules are closer together when cold.

So on a bitter -25C day you fill a 4000ml can with gas , then bring it inside you might have say 4200ml.

Gas is a mixture but I think you can use octane to approximately represent it. I'll find the suitable equation if you want to explore it further.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-25-2020)