Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage are getting cheaper.

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Mirage are getting cheaper.

I have been eyeballing recently the prices of a new Mitsubishi Mirage, with the "new"? model shortly to be released the current prices are quite attractive.
    In the UK we can get an unregistered Mirage 4 (4 is the top model that has everything on it) for £10299, that price is "on the road" price, no taxes are applied except the £145 Road Fund Licence.
    We only have two models here, the 3 and the 4. The three does without cruise and the 7 inch infotainment system.

I'd assume the prices are dropping in all markets as I believe the newest version will be released worldwide during February.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    You could be right! Ive noticed the prices have gone up on used Mirages. I wonder if its because the word is out that these are a good used model.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I have been eyeballing recently the prices of a new Mitsubishi Mirage, with the "new"? model shortly to be released the current prices are quite attractive.
    In the UK we can get an unregistered Mirage 4 (4 is the top model that has everything on it) for £10299, that price is "on the road" price, no taxes are applied except the £145 Road Fund Licence.
    We only have two models here, the 3 and the 4. The three does without cruise and the 7 inch infotainment system.

I'd assume the prices are dropping in all markets as I believe the newest version will be released worldwide during February.
    I've only been observing the Mirage market since 2017.

Each year the MSRP of the Mirage has gone up. Presently -

$13,995 ES manual
    $15,295 ES CVT
    $16,195 LE "
    $16,745 SE "
    $17,295 GT "

The GT has stayed @ $2,000 more than a ES CVT. Sadly, the SE & GT go up with the ES every year, but only the ES has been given added new features each year. The SE & GT haven't changed since 2017, but they keep increasing the price of them. I guess adding standard features to the base model justifies this?

I think Mitsubishi MSRP pricing is whack!

KIA Soul has a starting MSRP of $17,490 and they also sell for less.
    Honda Fit (130 hp, non-turbo) has a starting MSRP of $16,190.
    Both of these vehicles are much nicer than a Mirage, & this is why car critics are so harsh at times. Adding more & more features to a Mirage makes it less appealing to me.

I realize very few cars sell at MSRP, but the best deals I was seeing for a Mirage ES MANUAL in 2019 was about $2000 more than what I was seeing in 2017. On a personal level, I would no longer consider buying a new Mirage. If I had to replace mine, I would buy a used one for under $10,000 now. I value low price over added features that I couldn't care less about. I may not be the norm, however?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think Mitsubishi MSRP pricing is whack!
    Agreed. Just price a manual ES at $9995 US to make it simple.

...the best deals I was seeing for a Mirage ES MANUAL in 2019 was about $2000 more than what I was seeing in 2017.
    Maybe when the new body style is around the corner, we will see "fire sale" rebates return.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Agreed. Just price a manual ES at $9995 US to make it simple.

Maybe when the new body style is around the corner, we will see "fire sale" rebates return.
    A base level Mirage @ $10,000 would make some people take note of a car that they would normally dismiss. New Mirages selling for $9,000-9,500 in 2017 made me take note of them. I could care less what features are on a cheap economy car. I wanted something that is affordable, reliable, and economical. I don't consider a MSRP Mirage affordable, but most vehicles of any brand don't sell @ MSRP.

In the past four years, the ES, SE, & GT trim levels have become more & more alike, & they even wedged an LE trim level between all that. Why not add the Rockford system to the SE & GT trim level? They keep raising the price of the upper trim levels, but they haven't done a thing with them in 4 years (2017-20).

Offer a base one that's affordable, & add something to the upper trim levels. That would be better marketing of this car in my mind. It's gradually priced itself out of what I am willing to pay for a car like this. Not saying it isn't a good car. It's just not a vehicle that I would pay a lot of money for.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Mark, do you think younger drivers have a different set of wishes for options and features on their cars?

Time marches on. Cars today are very different from just a decade or so ago.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I think the Mirage fills a great niche that many American consumers are hungry for.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Mark, do you think younger drivers have a different set of wishes for options and features on their cars?
    Some people obviously love extra features on cars, & that's the argument for trim levels. For those who love extra features, you have that option. Buying an affordable basic vehicle has become hard, & that includes finding a manual.

I am not knocking the Mirage as a car. I really like my Mirage. If something happened to mine, I would buy another. That doesn't mean I would pay a lot of money for a car like this, however.

The automotive industry seems to be in a vicious cycle. That may or may not be driven by consumers? Let’s add touch screens to cars, but because of the added distraction let’s also add automatic braking systems, adaptive cruise control, & lane departure warning systems.

I am not knocking safety features. If a backup camera on cars saves one child’s life, I am all for that. As a part-time driving instructor, I feel nothing can replace an attentive driver behind-the-steering wheel of a vehicle. I’m not convinced touch screens on car dashes is a good thing? It’s not just kids who are distracted by electronic devices.

I've been in education for almost 34 years now, & I have been a part-time driving instructor for the past 14 years or so. I am not against progress or added safety features in vehicles. None of that is a substitute for an attentive, focused driver, however!

Yes, vehicles have changed. If someone is making great vehicles right now, please share. I’m not overly impressed with today’s vehicles. I would take some of the Honda & Toyota vehicles made 20 years ago over anything on the market today, and that includes the present Honda & Toyota vehicles.

I think there is a market for basic, affordable transportation, & I wouldn’t feel bad sending my son or daughter off to college in a basic, low trim level Mirage.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-29-2020),MacClyver (01-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman
    do you think younger drivers have a different set of wishes for options and features on their cars?
    Bring back the DE with a few changes!

Manual Steering
    Throttle cable
    Add center console with storage compartment
    Lastly, can we get the jack under the cargo area with the spare???

If I want an cutting edge feature bloated car that should be the realm of luxury cars. The race to the bottom of making everything have everything seems half baked. Instead of putting so much emphasis on differentiating models by what they do have, why not expand the spectrum of possibilities by making simpler cars too, that can differentiate them automatically as they would be without peer. Surely a subset of people would be interested.

Relatively unrelated but it's like how GIANT phones have gotten. I'm still using a Nokia C7 which was released way back in 2010. OLED screen, removable battery, headphone jack, and small. It's unbelievable that noone tried that combo again in a decade now. With so many models seeking to differentiate themselves with identical features industry looses sight of the ability to truly differentiate their product.

And before you say noone would want such a thing, remember The Nokia C7 is without peer in the last 10 years, there's no precedent for a similar but upgraded device doing good nor bad.

Making a Baseline DE Mirage blended with some Metro/Festiva qualities likewise would fill an unfilled vacuum in the marketplace.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-29-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    I'm somewhat staggered that you cannot get base cars over there. There has been reference made to the buying public who require just a simple no frills motor car. Some young acne faced lad not being too long a qualified driver would, I assume, be lured to a dealership with a "come & buy me" price. A few years ago we had the base Mirage but they dropped that along with the 2 model leaving just the 3 & 4 models that command a higher price. Did Mitsubishi miss a trick?

Most other manufactures here offer a base car, obviously one manufactures idea of a base vehicle is different to anothers.
    The Seat Mii for example has a base model, without air con, a somewhat drab interior devoid of even a tachometer, but it sells well because it's what the younger person wants, very popular with young mums and the like.

The murmur is the new Mirage will be offered in 3 trim levels, we'll see. I've read a lot and seen many pictures of the "new" Mirage and still I'm of the opinion they ran out of pencils and ideas when designing it. Clearly it's not a new model just a facelift, they should have tried a little harder, especially on the interior.