Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Douglas tires from walmart

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Don't get sucked in by the low $37 price tag. For another $18 per tire, you could buy Falken Sincera tires through Wal-Mart that will last almost twice as long as those Douglas tires.

I'd rather spend another $72 on the Falkens and not worry about replacing tires again for 80,000 miles. Over time, the Falkens are actually the less expensive option. Just something to think about.
    I don't have any personal experience with Falken tires. In my area of Wisconsin, Cooper tires are a popular mid-priced tire. I have more experience with their older CS4 and newer CS5 series tires on my Forester and Impala (student driving car). If I was buying 175/65r14 tires, I would give the newer/cheaper Cooper Evolution Tour tires a try. They have a 65,000 mile warranty and some guys seem to be happy with them in snow. Cooper snow tires are my favorite winter tires.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/COOPER-EV...Tire/967623290

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had various cars with Douglas tires, most recently a 99 Neon (this was probably 10 years ago now). They were noisy, had traction issues, and wore out pretty quick. I never bought them again.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ...If I was buying 175/65r14 tires, I would give the newer/cheaper Cooper Evolution Tour tires a try.
    They have a 65,000 mile warranty and some guys seem to be happy with them in snow.
    That's a good point. I don't use snow tires so I don't think about how a tire performs in the winter. The original poster is from Wisconsin...so that's something to consider for sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I've had various cars with Douglas tires, most recently a 99 Neon (this was probably 10 years ago now). They were noisy, had traction issues, and wore out pretty quick. I never bought them again.
    I was just stating a hypothesis (educated guess) about Douglas tires. Actually experience is what Pryme is after. Thus, it's good to hear what others say. A tire that appear soft/pliable in the store may not be that way in the actual cold.

Key miracle substance in tires is -

Silica also provides substantial benefits when used in winter and all-season tires. Silica-silane compounds remain much more flexible at low temperatures, making them ideal for winter tire compounds, and producing low rolling resistance winter tires with the same miraculous grip and wear resistance.Mar 18, 2017

I know Cooper CS5 Grand Touring & CS5 Ultra Touring tires are well built all-season tires. The Evolution Touring tire is a newer model that reminds me of their cheaper GLS tires of the past.

If you search - "Who are American tire companies?" You will find Goodyear & Cooper come up. Since I drive a cheap car made in Thailand, I don't want to go overboard on that topic.

Cooper makes Mastercraft and Starfire tires, too. The small town tire shops in my area like Cooper tires, & the discount stores will push the Mastercraft and Starfire tires. Mastercraft qualities seems as good as Cooper to me, however. A good friend of mine had Mastercraft tires on her Mercury Sable, & it did extremely well in snow. I was quite impressed by them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice you point out the Douglas. I have been looking at them also as they get pretty stellar reviews on walmarts website. Really confused especially between the Falklens since some people report great things while others report disaster. If you look up reviews across all sn250 sizes they get some mediocre reviews. Medium ratings in most groups and lots of reports of short life and even some sidewall blowouts on tirerack website.

Clearly the Douglas does not promise to last as long as Falkens. But if you are buying them from walmart you probably don't care about the warranty to begin with. My email to Falken ended with them telling me not to buy from walmart if I care about warranty.

What makes it so confusing is some people always seem to say great things while others have problems with every tire. A lot of people on the forum hate the enasaves and so far I have not had a problem. Some people on amazon say they got 60k miles on them and bought 3 sets. Others say they didn't make it to 20k.

Then the federals seem nice but some people also report poor MPG and it's not as cheap as 175 and will not last as long as a falken. Not sure how Falkens or any 175 compares to federals in terms of MPG. According to federal europe they get an F for fuel economy

I think I am probably going to just gamble with the Falkens when the time comes just for the chance to maybe not have to do 1 more tire change. If that doesn't go well I will experiment with douglas/federal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've bought both Mastercraft and Starfire in the past as well. Didn't remember hating them so I guess they were fine on whatever old Chrysler I had them on haha.

My favorite set of tires were these ridiculously cheap Daewoo tires I got at Pep Boys back in 2005. I had them on a 88 Dodge Lancer Shelby that was a 174 HP turbocharged stick shift weird hatchback Euro Sedan thing. They made the Lupin the 3rd tire squeal noise and smoked like crazy when you'd light them up. They weren't good tires by any stretch but they loved being abused. In the short time I had the car (severe rust) I think I roasted the hell out of them at least every time I drove it and then my friend drove the car for another two years and the tires lasted until the strut tower finally started to collapse. RIP Lancer Shelby.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know discount tire does free rotations so that is a good reason to buy there and not walmart ive learned

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Nice you point out the Douglas. I have been looking at them also as they get pretty stellar reviews on walmarts website. Really confused especially between the Falklens since some people report great things while others report disaster. If you look up reviews across all sn250 sizes they get some mediocre reviews. Medium ratings in most groups and lots of reports of short life and even some sidewall blowouts on tirerack website.

Clearly the Douglas does not promise to last as long as Falkens. But if you are buying them from walmart you probably don't care about the warranty to begin with. My email to Falken ended with them telling me not to buy from walmart if I care about warranty.

What makes it so confusing is some people always seem to say great things while others have problems with every tire. A lot of people on the forum hate the enasaves and so far I have not had a problem. Some people on amazon say they got 60k miles on them and bought 3 sets. Others say they didn't make it to 20k.

Then the federals seem nice but some people also report poor MPG and it's not as cheap as 175 and will not last as long as a falken. Not sure how Falkens or any 175 compares to federals in terms of MPG. According to federal europe they get an F for fuel economy

I think I am probably going to just gamble with the Falkens when the time comes just for the chance to maybe not have to do 1 more tire change. If that doesn't go well I will experiment with douglas/federal.
    Since losing a Dunlop tire to a sidewall blow out @15,000 miles, I been using 3 different pairs of tires. I didn't want to scrap my other Dunlop tires, & I already had a pair of Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires for climbing winter ridge roads near my home.

Thus, I can't give a clear view of any particular set of tires. I don't sense my Federal tires holding the car back, but I am not using 4 of them either. Mid-December trip to my parents Nokian/Federal tires, mild temperatures for December, 235 miles one-way, 2+ hours of 60-65 mph & another 2 hours going 70-75 mph - I averaged over 45 mpg on that trip.

I've been using Federal tires up front & factory Dunlop tires in the back (April-November).
    Using Nokian up front & Federal tires in the back (December-March) the past couple years.

Another 165/65r14 that is worth price watching for is the Nexen NPriz AH5. Tires-easy.com use to carry them in the mid-$50 price range, but they are closer to $71 now. It's a tire choice White Bear Mitsubishi offers their Mirage customers, & I just happened to notice that on their website.

The Nexen has a 50,000 mile warranty, and their 65 reviews rate it @ 4.9/5 on the tires-easy.com site. I don't put a lot of stock in warranties and reviews, but 165/65r14 options are limited. If it wasn't a decent tire, I don't think White Bear would offer it. White Bear also offers the 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac 5. Tirerack.com is the place to shop for those.

165/65r14 tires - these seem to be the primary players outside of the more expensive Dunlop/Bridgestone offerings.

Federal SS657 - affordable, decent value
    Nexen NPriz AHS - better warranty/wear & may have better all-season traction in my opinion
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 - best all-weather tire choice. All-weather should offer more traction in snow.
    Nokian Nordman 7 - only tire that offers studded or non-studded winter tires
    Dunlop Winter Maxx 2 - non-studded winter tire only

If the Nexen (South Korea) came back down to the $50-55 price range, they may be a good option to consider. I don't have any experience with them, but some Korean cars (Hyundai/KIA) come with them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I know discount tire does free rotations so that is a good reason to buy there and not walmart ive learned
    Discount Tire would be a 130 mile round trip for me. Walmart is 5 minutes from work. Discount Tire does sound great, however! Several members have had free TPMS issues resolved by them, too.

I wouldn't let Walmart service my car (oil changes & things like that), but I wouldn't hesitate to buy tires from them. Having said that, my local mechanic is cheaper than most large discount stores. He doesn't soak me for extra charges. If their mechanic in some of these places blows his nose while working on your car, they will charge you for that tissue.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My Outlander Sport has nexen tires on it from the factory. They seem to be decent thus far.