Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Douglas tires from walmart

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Douglas tires from walmart

Anyone run them on the mirage? The 175/65/14 is 37.00 usd

I recall a friend had them on his corolla and they seemed to do great in the snow but they were also brand new when I witnessed them.

Walmart said they cant install that size on the mirage lol but said they can sell them to me still.

My wifes car is at 42k miles and they are getting down there. Not too bad considering they were only rotated once maybe twice.

Will they install them on wheels for an off highway quad trailer? And balance them lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Pryme (01-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Anyone run them on the mirage? The 175/65/14 is 37.00 usd

I recall a friend had them on his corolla and they seemed to do great in the snow but they were also brand new when I witnessed them.

Walmart said they cant install that size on the mirage lol but said they can sell them to me still.

My wifes car is at 42k miles and they are getting down there. Not too bad considering they were only rotated once maybe twice.
    If you search who makes them -

Douglas is the trademark for a line of tires owned by the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company which manufactures the line and sells them exclusively through Walmart. Goodyear registered the name in 1992 through its subsidiary Kelly Springfield Tire Company.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    the Walmart here in Columbia says the same thing on the phone, but never given me any issues. I normally order my tires site to store @ Walmart. & just had 175/65/14's put on a couple weeks ago. I just leave the car & come back later in the day. never had them say anything. kinda don't ask don't tell.....

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I like my Barum Brillantis2 tires in 175 65 r14! I got them for $37 each. I paid a total of $260 for tires, mount, balancing, etc. Great deal at Discount Tire. My MPG has gone down definitely. It's harder to get 40 mpg vs my old bald Potenzas, but the pros out weigh the cons. The road noise is reduced, handling improved, tougher against potholes, plus the price. I avg 36 mpg with mixed driving and speeding alot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Don't get sucked in by the low $37 price tag. For another $18 per tire, you could buy Falken Sincera tires through Wal-Mart that will last almost twice as long as those Douglas tires.

I'd rather spend another $72 on the Falkens and not worry about replacing tires again for 80,000 miles. Over time, the Falkens are actually the less expensive option. Just something to think about.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-29-2020 at 08:53 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-29-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    There's $40 Federals 165s that Mark highly endorses too. Still good mpg, better grip.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    The Federal 165/65r14's have been great on my Mirage. No flats, quiet, great in wet weather here on the Oregon Coast.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've ran Douglas "Xtrac II" and the currently run the Xtrac II's replacement simply named "All Season", both models in 155/80R13.

They're fine tires, and have decent snow traction... When you get them for free with a car you just bought. I think it's worth getting better tires if you yourself are paying.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    There's $40 Federals 165s that Mark highly endorses too. Still good mpg, better grip.
    I don't overly endorse 165/65-14 Federal tires, but they are a respectable, cheaper 165/65-14 option. My guess is the Federal tires are a 40,000 mile tire. I have about 18,000 miles on a pair with no complaints. Others have more experience with them.

I have never used Douglas tires, but I have looked them over in the store. My impression of them is that their rubber compound seems softer than some of the more expensive tires, which would give them decent winter traction. Likewise, they would wear faster like a winter tire used during the summer time. My guess is Douglas tires would excel at traction & ride, but not so good with wear & rolling resistance. This is just a hypothesis on my part, however.