Thread: Fummins: hit the brakes!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Fummins: hit the brakes!

Hopefully that got your attention, lol. Getting some brake wear indicator squeals, so front brake job coming soon. Any recommendations on pads/rotors from your fleet experience? Also, can these rotors be turned off the car?

That depends on what you want I guess? Drivers here are so different it's impossible for me to compare how long different pads last in these cars. I've used some wagner pads and lately been using the raybestos element ones.

I recall the 2 different wagner pads listed on rock auto are priced backwards compared to what we have here. Rock auto shows the quickstop as being cheap economy pads while out here they price it higher and call it the premium pad for some reason?
    I don't remember having any fitment issues with the wagner pads but it seems almost every other box of raybestos pads don't fit right and require filing down the 2 dowels so they fit in the caliper properly.

If your rotors are in decent shape and aren't warped I'd just be a cheap bass turd and throw some pads on and spend the money I saved rest on craft supplies and stickers. The can be turned if they're not too thin though.
    But if rotors are screwed(warped,rusted to shart, have grooves in them, or ridge around outside I'd just replace them. I use cheapo raybestos ones, cause that's what's usually in stock. I'd splurge and get the coated ones if I lived in a rust belt. I've never had a rotor rust enough to plug the fins so that's not a concern here.

For all my other personal junk I've always just bought mid grade pads and cheap rotors and never had issues.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-30-2020 at 08:16 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (01-31-2020),MetroMPG (01-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the prompt reply, sir. I forgot to mention I've got some pulsation when braking, that's why I was asking about rotors. I can do pads and replace rotors at home, but I can't turn rotors. That's why I was asking of they can be turned off the car; I could take them someplace and have them done.

Every time I've asked about having rotors machined in the last 20 years, the mechanic has just said: buy new ones. Prices have gotten so cheap... thanks, China.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (01-31-2020),Fummins (01-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I haven't machined rotors in 20+ years. If a rotor warps, it's probably not the greatest quality to begin with. Machining them makes them even thinner and more susceptible to warping. When I used to machine rotors to fix a pulsation concern, the problem usually came back.

I've been buying rotors from brakeperformance.com and had good luck with them. No...they aren't the cheapest. But they are very good quality and come with a lifetime warranty against warping. You can get super-fancy drilled/slotted rotors or just OEM replacement type.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (01-31-2020),inuvik (01-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I haven't machined rotors in 20+ years. If a rotor warps, it's probably not the greatest quality to begin with. Machining them makes them even thinner and more susceptible to warping. When I used to machine rotors to fix a pulsation concern, the problem usually came back.

I've been buying rotors from brakeperformance.com and had good luck with them. No...they aren't the cheapest. But they are very good quality and come with a lifetime warranty against warping. You can get super-fancy drilled/slotted rotors or just OEM replacement type.
    I like that their prices include shipping, & lifetime warranty is nice. If you are planning to keep your car for long period of time, it's worth spending a little extra. The next set of brakes/rotors after that may be on them!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (01-31-2020)

I read the warranty on that site. I suggest others give it a go as well. You're paying more for a warranty against warping basically. And it appears to be "lifetime" for the 2 top end rotor models only, the other ones are 1-2 years. And the fancy warranty will replace each part only once.

Other than warpage I don't see anything special about them other than the price tag. But they are "machined by us in the USA".
    If you think you'll get a new set of pads once they wear out good luck....Unless there's an actual defect with them you're sol as far as normal wear and tear goes.
    Seems a little like it cost's more so it's better. But you're just paying for 2 sets of rotors upfront and letting someone else store them.
    Raybestos has lifetime warranty on brakes too, minus the warpage coverage and less than half the price.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (01-31-2020),MetroMPG (01-31-2020),Top_Fuel (01-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

Thanks for the info. These are the original OEM rotors at 32k miles, so I guess they weren't the greatest quality to begin with, lol...looks like I'm buying 2 new ones!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I read the warranty on that site. I suggest others give it a go as well. You're paying more for a warranty against warping basically. And it appears to be "lifetime" for the 2 top end rotor models only, the other ones are 1-2 years. And the fancy warranty will replace each part only once.

Other than warpage I don't see anything special about them other than the price tag. But they are "machined by us in the USA".
    If you think you'll get a new set of pads once they wear out good luck....Unless there's an actual defect with them you're sol as far as normal wear and tear goes.
    Seems a little like it cost's more so it's better. But you're just paying for 2 sets of rotors upfront and letting someone else store them.
    Raybestos has lifetime warranty on brakes too, minus the warpage coverage and less than half the price.
    I didn't look into it that much. Thank you for reading the fine print Fummins! Pretty good for someone that claims reading is hard all the time!!!!

Personally, I trust my local small town mechanics. They are good about sharing what they feel is the best value. If you are doing it yourself, however, it's nice to hear what others have to say.