Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

DIY Intake Filters

Name:  Annotation 2020-01-31 132611.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  60.8 KB

I've gotten Daox's 3D-printed MAF and will be making my own intake. I've seen Daox's intake build where he used an AEM intake. However, I'm curious as to what others have used for a filter?

I'm pretty set on sticking with K&N, as I've used them for years on countless cars. My '07 Toyota Yaris has a K&N intake system that utilizes the RU-5174 (lhttps://www.knfilters.com/ru-5174-universal-clamp-on-air-filter), and I thought I might just go with it. I suppose it'll depend on my pipe size.

Regardless, what cone filters did you use? Bonus if you have the part numbers.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-05-2020),Marklovski (02-01-2020)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm actually in the process of making a better version of the short air intake I made a long time ago with Daox's MAF adapter -- I originally used 2" intake pipe to route a filter to the space in the front grill on the passenger side of the radiator. It's cobbled together with tons of clamps to get the curves, makes me wish I had a pipe bender! The second version I'm building will be made from 2" ABS pipe with a high temp rating, then wrapped with DEI's heat foil wrap (for extra gold hot boi status).

I used the K&N RC-8170, since it has a 2" outlet and has the same filter area as the stock filter (just in a cone of course). I also had the cleaner and oil from a previous vehicle with a K&N filter. If I hadn't, I would've probably used an AEM or similar dry cone filter instead, since it's less maintenance than a oiled filter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phaux View Post
    I'm actually in the process of making a better version of the short air intake I made a long time ago with Daox's MAF adapter -- I originally used 2" intake pipe to route a filter to the space in the front grill on the passenger side of the radiator. It's cobbled together with tons of clamps to get the curves, makes me wish I had a pipe bender! The second version I'm building will be made from 2" ABS pipe with a high temp rating, then wrapped with DEI's heat foil wrap (for extra gold hot boi status).

I used the K&N RC-8170, since it has a 2" outlet and has the same filter area as the stock filter (just in a cone of course). I also had the cleaner and oil from a previous vehicle with a K&N filter. If I hadn't, I would've probably used an AEM or similar dry cone filter instead, since it's less maintenance than a oiled filter.
    I also am using an ABS pipe. It has a 2" ID and a 2-3/8" OD. Thanks for the PN. I may need to get an adapter, but I'm not sure I like the idea of clamping the filter to a silicone adapter vs. directly to the pipe. It looks like K&N offers a number of filters with a 2-3/8" inlet diameter.
    Last edited by Subcompact Culture; 02-03-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I also am using an ABS pipe. It has a 2" ID and a 2-3/8" OD. Thanks for the PN. I may need to get an adapter, but I'm not sure I like the idea of clamping the filter to a silicone adapter vs. directly to the pipe. It looks like K&N offers a number of filters with a 2-3/8" inlet diameter.
    The pipe I got is closer to 2-1/4" OD (2" ID), so I'll be able to use a 2-1/4" to 2" silicone coupler to step it down to the MAF adapter (then a regular 2" 90° silicone bend from the MAF adapter to the throttle body). Doesn't look like they offer a 2-1/4" ID Filter so I may need to cobble that part together (like a ~3" piece of alum pipe that stays with the filter and attaches to a 2" to 2-1/4" coupler to the pipe).

The outlet of the filter is pretty soft rubber, so I doubt it'd stay seated if you coupled it directly to a silicone coupler -- You'll probably need to use a small section of pipe or put it directly to the ABS pipe.

I also toyed with the idea of 3D printing a whole airbox assembly that would hold the stock filter AND fit in that space next to the radiator... Probably should brush up on my CAD skills first.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    For a while I was thinking of offering a full CAI kit. I decided against it when another member said he was going to offer them. He later had issues and canned the idea. I've never gotten back to the idea. However, the plan was to 3d print a bell mouth that would adapt whatever size inlet filter to a whatever smaller pipe diameter. This could adapt a 3" outlet filter to 2", or a 4" to 2", or 3" to 2-3/8". This would not only let you use whatever the heck filter you want, but it would also improve performance as well. I still have the models if anyone is interested, and I would be happy to sell them.

Here are a few pictures.

3" to 2" bell mouth adapter.

Name:  bellmouth1.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  bellmouth2.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  48.1 KB

4.5" to 2" bell mouth adapter.

Name:  bellmouth3.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  bellmouth4.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  66.5 KB

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)