Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai expands their warranty

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts

Hyundai expands their warranty

Hyundai is expanding their warranty coverage. As of February 1st, all 2020 Hyundai vehicles will receive 3-year/36,000 free maintenance, which includes all oil/filter changes, tire rotations, & such.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/hyundai-...140000484.html

Personally, I feel Hyundai & KIA are producing some very nice products for the U.S. market. They have strived to be better, & it shows. Over 50% of our Hyundai vehicles are being built here in the U.S. Likewise, KIA is also producing a number of vehicles in Georgia.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Yes, Hyundai has improved by leaps and bounds, and continues to impress. Hyundais were a joke when I was a kid.

Ever watch 'Married With Children'? There was an episode where Al loses "The Dodge" at a car wash, and the car wash manager wants to make it up to him by giving him a new car. The manager asks, "How does a new Hyundai sound?"

"Like and old lawnmower!! I want my Dodge, dagnabbit!"

Those days are long gone. It is great that they are now doing the 3/36 free maintenance thing. Luxury brands like BMW have been doing it for years. Their 10/100 powertrain warranty is what really put them on the map @20 years ago, and other brands have had to adjust.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Yes, Hyundai has improved by leaps and bounds, and continues to impress. Hyundais were a joke when I was a kid.

Ever watch 'Married With Children'? There was an episode where Al loses "The Dodge" at a car wash, and the car wash manager wants to make it up to him by giving him a new car. The manager asks, "How does a new Hyundai sound?"

"Like and old lawnmower!! I want my Dodge, dagnabbit!"

Those days are long gone. It is great that they are now doing the 3/36 free maintenance thing. Luxury brands like BMW have been doing it for years. Their 10/100 powertrain warranty is what really put them on the map @20 years ago, and other brands have had to adjust.
    I feel Hyundai & KIA are working harder to please their customers. They also seem to be making vehicles consumers may want. The KIA Soul is a prime example of that. That one vehicle alone outsells the entire Mitsubishi line up some years.

I've been exploring the new Hyundai Venue reviews lately. Not really interested in buying anything now, but reviewers are understanding the purpose of a vehicle like that. It's affordable, has some really nice features, & it does what it is suppose to do. It may be one of the cheapest small CUV/SUV (actually it's the Accent hatchback replacement in Hyundai's mind) on the market, & some reviewers are saying it's the best CVT vehicle they have ever driven. Hyundai makes their own steel for vehicles, & they design their own CVTs. I would consider a vehicle like this some day, because it can be had with a 6-speed manual.

This is the market Mitsubishi should have gone after with the Eclipse Cross. Selling less than 20,000 of them in 2019 sort of proves that. Of those 20,000 sales, many of them may have taken from their own Outlander Sport & Outlander sales. Mitsubishi need vehicles that brings new customers into their showrooms.

By the way - Renault is slowly killing Nissan. I hope Mitsubishi maintains its independence as long as it can.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    The complimentary maintenance includes oil changes, filter replacements, and tire rotations at factory-scheduled intervals.
    Complimentary maintenance plans seem like an easy win for manufacturers...

They're a good marketing tool for the general public.
    Hey...your car is "maintenance-free" for 3 years! Sign me up!

They don't cost the manufacturer that much.
    How much maintenance does a new car actually require in the first 3 years? Maybe a handful of oil changes...a couple of cabin air filters...an engine air filter and some tire rotations. All done by the lowest paid tech in the shop. What is that...maybe $300 worth of services? But the average new car buyer thinks this is going to save a thousand dollars or something.

You get the vehicle owner into the dealer service department on a regular basis.
    The dealer gets a great opportunity to win your future business. This may get the customer used to bringing their vehicle back in the future after the free stuff runs out.

Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't turn down free maintenance. Well...actually I would because all of those maintenance items are too easy for me to do myself. But I'm sure the general buying public would welcome it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I still don't understand why anyone would want to buy a Kia or a Hyundai. The last car purchase I was involved in was for my mom.

She was convinced she wanted a Hyundai Sonata. We went for a test drive on a car that only had a few thousand miles on it. I couldn't believe how poorly the automatic transmission seemed to change gears.

We then test drove a Toyota Corolla after that. The car cost a couple thousand more dollars, had something like 30k miles on it and it drove like a dream.

If all you ever ride in is stuff like Mitsubishi and Kia products, I suppose the Sonata would feel like a dream car. To me, I could tell instantly that it was poorly made. Mom isn't a car guy, and even she agreed after comparing it to a Toyota.

She's had her 2015 Corolla for almost four years now. Its still as solid and fresh as it was the day she got it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    All maintenance packages are paid for. Watch MSRP bump up a bit in the coming years. Chev did it, VW did it, its... just how it works.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Pryme (02-03-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hyundai is expanding their warranty coverage. As of February 1st, all 2020 Hyundai vehicles will receive 3-year/36,000 free maintenance, which includes all oil/filter changes, tire rotations, & such.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/hyundai-...140000484.html

Personally, I feel Hyundai & KIA are producing some very nice products for the U.S. market. They have strived to be better, & it shows. Over 50% of our Hyundai vehicles are being built here in the U.S. Likewise, KIA is also producing a number of vehicles in Georgia.
    Warranties are only great if they're 100% stood by. Whether it be Hyundai or Mercedes or Mitsubishi. I have been given the runaround by Mitsubishi more than once, even though they love to advertise their 10 year warranty. That's not 10 years new car warranty, that's power-train only, and they don't cover 90% of the stuff after 5 years, like they do during the "5 year new car warranty" period.

In Canada now, Mitsubishi has a 10/10/10 warranty that covers EVERYTHING apparently, while my own Mirage back in 2014 got the 10/5/5 year warranty - so 10 years powertrain, 5 years new car, 5 years of roadside assistance free. So if you buy a new Mitsubishi today, you have road side assistance free til 2030.

Not sure how much teeth their new warranty has at Hyundai, but if I learned one thing with buying a new car, my Mirage in 2014, is that warranty can be bunk and a ploy to draw people into the showroom door and sell cars today.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I still don't understand why anyone would want to buy a Kia or a Hyundai. The last car purchase I was involved in was for my mom.

She was convinced she wanted a Hyundai Sonata. We went for a test drive on a car that only had a few thousand miles on it. I couldn't believe how poorly the automatic transmission seemed to change gears.

We then test drove a Toyota Corolla after that. The car cost a couple thousand more dollars, had something like 30k miles on it and it drove like a dream.

If all you ever ride in is stuff like Mitsubishi and Kia products, I suppose the Sonata would feel like a dream car. To me, I could tell instantly that it was poorly made. Mom isn't a car guy, and even she agreed after comparing it to a Toyota.

She's had her 2015 Corolla for almost four years now. Its still as solid and fresh as it was the day she got it.
    Very few people are going to knock a Toyota Corolla. It's been a great car for decades. If someone is looking for a cheap car, I am the first to recommend an old Honda or Toyota. My youngest daughter needed a good used car (under $5,000) after graduating from college in 2015. We focused on 2000-05 Civics & Corollas, & she's been driving her 2003 Honda Civic every since that time. This was a couple years before I took notice of the Mirage & bought one. I still wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a used Honda or Toyota vehicle.

I think KIA & Hyundai have been constantly improving their line up over the years. If I was shopping for a new vehicle to replace my Subaru Forester, I would be looking at Toyota, Hyundai, KIA, & Mazda. Honda's new GDI engines have made me lose some of my interest in them. The 1st & 2nd generation RAV4 & CR-V were some of my favorite vehicles of all time. They evolved into vehicles I am less interested in. Lack of a manual option really kills any interest in any vehicle for me.

I really like that KIA & Hyundai are offering vehicles like the Soul & Venue that have non-turbo engines with manual transmissions. I have zero interests in sedans. I really don't care for how the Toyota C-HR looks, because it looks like a Prius on steroids to me. The Corolla hatchback & C-HR are probably great vehicles, however.

Since driving a 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, sold by Ford) for 14 years, I don't have a problem with KIA products. For a small car, I really like that powertrain. I would take that car into places I would never think about taking my Mirage. Then again, I own a side-by-side UTV for those jobs now.

When I watch reviews on new vehicles now, you are starting hear reviewers say this product is not up to the level of the KIA & Hyundai products. KIA/Hyundai have become the Honda/Toyota of a couple decades ago. I would only buy vehicles from a handful of companies, and Hyundai/KIA would be at the top of that list for me. It's not uncommon for people to state this is their 2nd or 3rd Soul in their reviews. Their other new models are also being well received. They seem to understand American consumers better than some companies? KIA/Hyundai seems to be doing something right with some of their models at least.

I find it somewhat ironic when reviewers state an affordable vehicle like the Venue is targeted for young customers, because it's the older crowd that's also interested in vehicles like the Venue. Baby boomers like myself - my kids are married and on their own. I don't need a big vehicle. If I can fit all my gear in back and few grandkids in the back at times, I am good. I'm sorry, but all ages should be interested in affordable, dependable vehicles.

I really like my Mirage. As far as being affordable, reliable, and economical, I have zero complaints. I wouldn't pay a lot of money for a Mirage, however, because of what is being offered by companies like Hyundai/KIA. If someone wants a little more car than a Mirage, Mitsubishi doesn't really offer that option unless you are willing to jump to a SUV.

Nissan not having its act together, & GM/Ford starting to ignore the car market is just making companies like Hyundai and KIA stronger. Along with Toyota & Honda, Hyundai/KIA seems to have a more promising future in the U.S. in my opinion.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I find it somewhat ironic when reviewers state an affordable vehicle like the Venue is targeted for young customers, because it's the older crowd that's also interested in vehicles like the Venue. Baby boomers like myself - my kids are married and on their own. I don't need a big vehicle. If I can fit all my gear in back and few grandkids in the back at times, I am good. I'm sorry, but all ages should be interested in affordable, dependable vehicles.

I really like my Mirage. As far as being affordable, reliable, and economical, I have zero complaints. I wouldn't pay a lot of money for a Mirage, however, because of what is being offered by companies like Hyundai/KIA. If someone wants a little more car than a Mirage, Mitsubishi doesn't really offer that option unless you are willing to jump to a SUV.
    I think something like 50% or more buyers of new Mitsubishi Mirages are in the 50 or 55+ category for sure, it's a lot easier to dust snow off a sedan after parked at the mall or walmart for a few hours, than some of the hulking trucks and SUVs that flood the road with gen x'ers etc. clogging everything. So Hyundai Venue and others are getting loads of buyers buying new versions of their cars, nothing to worry about for 5 years right? My friend bought a Rio new back in 2012 or so, the windshield heater cracked after 3 days of driving new.

So Hyundai and Kia has come a long way, but they make bad designs like any car company has made bad cars before.

So notice all the older Nissan Versa Note drivers out there, or Micra drivers. Easy grocery getter, Grandma is not moving stoves and fridges around. Collect the rent maybe, but not actual truck work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I think something like 50% or more buyers of new Mitsubishi Mirages are in the 50 or 55+ category for sure, it's a lot easier to dust snow off a sedan after parked at the mall or walmart for a few hours, than some of the hulking trucks and SUVs that flood the road with gen x'ers etc. clogging everything. So Hyundai Venue and others are getting loads of buyers buying new versions of their cars, nothing to worry about for 5 years right? My friend bought a Rio new back in 2012 or so, the windshield heater cracked after 3 days of driving new.

So Hyundai and Kia has come a long way, but they make bad designs like any car company has made bad cars before.

So notice all the older Nissan Versa Note drivers out there, or Micra drivers. Easy grocery getter, Grandma is not moving stoves and fridges around. Collect the rent maybe, but not actual truck work.
    Older people like vehicles like the Venue, because they are easier to get in and out of more than anything. My parents would struggle with a Mirage. They wouldn't be happy with one.

I personally don't know anyone who owns a Mirage or would be interested in one, except one friend who once owned a Geo Metro.