Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirage heater is absolutely **** for Canadian Winters

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Mirage heater is absolutely **** for Canadian Winters

I have to be honest with you all, the Mirage is an absolutely **** car for Canadian Winters. The base base model has horrible condensation issues, no model has a heater strong enough to defrost the top of the windshield while driving on the highway in the winter, and it's the main resounding complain that I hear day in and day out from my customers. Most people who have racked up the miles on their Mirages are switching to the RVR when time comes for the next vehicle. Going way back through old files, nobody has reupped. Either they are still on the road in the original Mirage, or they've moved on to an RVR. The most common trade in on a new RVR is a Mirage when it comes to those who have stayed with the same brand.

I mean, I like mine, but it's cold all the time. Without Air Conditioning, if you try to warm your feet up the windshield immediately fogs up. If you defog the windshield, your feet turn to ice. I believe that I should be able to drive my car in flip flops and a t-shirt regardless of the weather, and that's simply not true of these little things. They just can't.

Don't even attempt lots of short trips and tracking snow into the car with carpet mats. Can't happen! I could only imagine if you added a couple kids or other moisture creating creatures to the rear seats. It's not bad by myself, it can be rough with 2 people...

Cold, damp, 100% humidity, 2 people breathing, weak as **** fan speed blowing warm air through a poorly designed defrost vent below the windshield that only spans the middle third of it...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    no model has a heater strong enough to defrost the top of the windshield while driving on the highway
    Opportunity knocks! You need to market a "cold weather package"! Grille block, block heater, plugs for the rear seat heater ducts. (Does it have rear ducts?? Or was that just a Micra thing?)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    ...the Mirage is an absolutely **** car for Canadian Winters.
    ...no model has a heater strong enough to defrost the top of the windshield...
    ...it's the main resounding complain that I hear day in and day out from my customers.
    Any 2014-2015 Mirage that operates in extreme winter conditions (Canada & US boarder states) may ultimately need a new heater core because of this condition. I still have heat (and acceptable defroster output) in my 2015 but it's not what it should be. My car would not be pleasant in a Canadian winter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Nickles has a 2018. My 2014 seems good enough and kept the windshield clear all winter here. We don't have high humidity here. Unless you count the fleet cars here that have a pool of water under the carpet.
    But I can't have the floor and defrost on at the same time without the windows fogging up. It'd be crappy on a long drive in -30.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...Nickles has a 2018.
    Damn. If a new Mirage is bad, how does anyone up there survive with an older Mirage with a partially restricted heater core?

...I can't have the floor and defrost on at the same time without the windows fogging up.
    Yeah...that's about where I am if there's any kind of extra moisture in the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Damn. If a new Mirage is bad, how does anyone up there survive with an older Mirage with a partially restricted heater core?

Yeah...that's about where I am if there's any kind of extra moisture in the car.
    I've driven my 2017 Mirage across Wisconsin in -20F weather a couple times in total comfort. It does take a big longer to warm up than a vehicle that has 2-5 times larger engine, but it's perfectly fine for what it is. It does much better heating up the inside than my old 1990 Ford Festiva did.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Nickles has a 2018. My 2014 seems good enough and kept the windshield clear all winter here. We don't have high humidity here. Unless you count the fleet cars here that have a pool of water under the carpet.
    But I can't have the floor and defrost on at the same time without the windows fogging up. It'd be crappy on a long drive in -30.
    Yeah, for us we are usually around -15C however the humidity is maxed out (and often foggy, also known as 100% humidity). I can cook the hell out of the front glass, but as soon as I redirect 50% of the airflow to my feet, then top portion of the glass starts fogging up. I can aide it considerably by kicking the hell out of my feet before tracking snow into the car, but it doesn't take much snow to a problem make...

And when the humidity isn't an issue, the car actually does get decently warm given enough time, no issues there, it really comes down to airflow. If i could blow a light breeze of hot air on my feet and then just flood the glass with warmish air I'd be happy, but there is no HVA(/C) control for AIR-GLASS, HEAT-FEET.

Then, once you've been too busy breathing for too long and you need to burp the vehicle with winter air for two minutes to drop the humidity, your feet ****ing freeze, so you have to take heat back off the freshly cleared glass... damn man it's just a nightmare (again, with 2 people... just me it's a lot less difficult to keep acceptable)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    you need to burp the vehicle with winter air for two minutes to drop the humidity,
    Are you using the air-recirculation setting during the winter months?

I only use fresh-air during the winter months. If it is a cold damp air, I may turn on the A/C for a bit to help clear off the windshield a bit faster (but I never used recirculated air during the winter months).

At times, I will use recirculated air on the hottest of summer days while the A/C is on. I would consider this max A/C for cars with manual controls. I don't use A/C on my Mirage that much, however.

On going problem. Gotta move somewhere else, maybe to the middle of the country? https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...?highlight=fog

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

FYI: no AC on Canadian base models.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-05-2020)