Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best Oil for a Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    . . . . I am going to let my dealer do the oil changes but I am going to have them use the 5-50 Edge. I just like the fact that the oil hasn't thinned out a whole lot at operating temperature. A 20 weight concerns me.
    It will be interesting to see if a dealership will do that for you without making some claim about voiding your 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty by using something other than 0W-20 oil?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . When I told them that I wanted use the Edge 5-50 they said sure, no problem.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It will be interesting to see if a dealership will do that for you without making some claim about voiding your 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty by using something other than 0W-20 oil?
    The dealer won't care. They don't make the call whether a warranty claim is covered or not. I'd run 5w50 before 15w40 in one of these.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-27-2020 at 08:14 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well my dealership is closed until at least May. My local shop is still open. Good thing. I now have about 5,500 miles on the car. It has used 1/2 quart in 5,000 miles. The Protege used a 1/4 quart in 10,000 but this normal. I don't consider it excessive. I just need to watch it closer especially since there are only 3 quarts in the engine.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well my dealership is closed until at least May. My local shop is still open. Good thing. I now have about 5,500 miles on the car. It has used 1/2 quart in 5,000 miles. The Protege used a 1/4 quart in 10,000 but this normal. I don't consider it excessive. I just need to watch it closer especially since there are only 3 quarts in the engine.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    I change my oil/filter every 5,000 miles for my 2017 Mirage. I've had my Mirage for about 2.5 years now. I am currently @ 34,400 miles. Next oil change will be coming up soon. I haven't noticed any oil loss between changes, & I typically check every 1,000 miles or so.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . 1/2 quart in 5,000 miles is not excessive but I am not used to that. My RX-3 used a quart of oil every 2K miles but that is because oil was injected into the combustion chamber to lubricate the Apex Seals. My 323 didn't use any oil between oil changes and I was changing it ever 5,000 miles. The Protege used 1/4 quart between changes and I was changing the oil every 10K miles. With just 3 quarts in the engine 1/2 quart down is a lot. Just saying!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . 1/2 quart in 5,000 miles is not excessive but I am not used to that. My RX-3 used a quart of oil every 2K miles but that is because oil was injected into the combustion chamber to lubricate the Apex Seals. My 323 didn't use any oil between oil changes and I was changing it ever 5,000 miles. The Protege used 1/4 quart between changes and I was changing the oil every 10K miles. With just 3 quarts in the engine 1/2 quart down is a lot. Just saying!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    My 1990 Ford Festiva never used a drop of oil during the 14 years I owned it. I used cheap SuperTech conventional oil & Fram filters changed every 3,000 miles back then.

My 2000 Honda CRV never used any oil. Also SuperTech/Fram filters changed every 3,000 miles.

My current 2011 Forester doesn't use any oil, because the entire short block engine was replaced by Subaru about 3,000 miles ago. It was using about a quart of Mobil 1 0W-20 every 1,000 miles before the replacement. A class action lawsuit covered the replacement engine. It takes 5.5 quarts oil. If you think about it, you needed to buy an extra 7 quarts to get you to the next oil change (recommended 7,500 mile intervals).

I actually changed the oil every 6,000 miles. I bought my 2011 Forester used in 2013 @ 15,000 miles.

A friend of mine owned a Forester like mine. He never checked his oil between changes. He showed up at the dealership for an oil change, & his Forester had 1.5 quarts left in the engine. They replaced the engine and then changed his oil for him.

After two appointments and 11-weeks total at the Subaru dealership, my Forester seems fine now. When I picked up my Forester, I was told I was lucky to get it back so soon. 7 other Foresters were still waiting to have their engines replaced at the time, too.

Owning my Mirage is saving wear & tear on my Forester. I don't want to replace it any time soon. It's nice to have when I need it.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-03-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . The 323 didn't use any oil between oil changes. The 1/4 quart every 10K used by the Protege is completely normal and can be looked at as not using any oil. The RX-3 had to use oil to keep the Apex seals lubricated. 2K miles to the quart for this engine was normal. If it used less than that you needed to find out why because it meant that the Apex Seals weren't receiving enough lubrication.
    . . . . I would considered 1K miles to the quart as excessive. Ford doesn't consider anything above 500 miles to the quart as excessive. I just have to watch the oil level on my Mirage. I am going to change the oil every 7.5K miles and that means that 3/4 quart would be used between changes and that means that the engine would barely have over 2 quarts left in it. Not good. That is a good way to fry the rings and cylinder walls since they depend on oil splash to lubricate them.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . The 323 didn't use any oil between oil changes. The 1/4 quart every 10K used by the Protege is completely normal and can be looked at as not using any oil. The RX-3 had to use oil to keep the Apex seals lubricated. 2K miles to the quart for this engine was normal. If it used less than that you needed to find out why because it meant that the Apex Seals weren't receiving enough lubrication.
    . . . . I would considered 1K miles to the quart as excessive. Ford doesn't consider anything above 500 miles to the quart as excessive. I just have to watch the oil level on my Mirage. I am going to change the oil every 7.5K miles and that means that 3/4 quart would be used between changes and that means that the engine would barely have over 2 quarts left in it. Not good. That is a good way to fry the rings and cylinder walls since they depend on oil splash to lubricate them.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Burning 7.5 quarts of expensive synthetic oil between oil changes seems excessive to me. You would use more than one 5 quart jug of oil to do an oil change & then have to buy another 2 jugs to make sure you get to the next oil change. What's the point of changing oil? You may as well just change filters & be done with it.

I didn't sue Subaru. Someone else took care of that for me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . My professional opinion as a Retired Master Automobile Technician is that 1K miles to the quart is excessive. Ford disagrees and they say that anything over 500 miles to the quart is OK. If you had an engine that was burning one quart every 500 miles and you were changing the oil every 7.5K miles you would be using 15 quarts of oil between changes. Ouch! Not good in my opinion. At $7 per quart that would be over $100 between changes.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-30-2021)